Frustrated with DD in her booster

Phineasmama

Does anyone else have this problem?? I started booster training DD1 a while ago. She does really well for the most part, but it seems like lately she has been leaning to the side and kind of moving her body so she can see out the window around the head wings. It's not just the booster itself because she does it in ANY high back booster. But it's really annoying, I don't feel like the shoulder belt stays positioned perfectly and I keep looking in my rear view mirror to check on her, which of course distracts me from keeping my attention on the road!!

I got a SureRide to harness her when she misbehaves, and she fits in that perfectly but of course now she's complaining about the buckle being "too hard" and I've had to help her with it like every time. Stupid crotch buckle... She's only 6 so I don't think a LBB is the best idea, but I got rid of my FR85 because she WAS doing so well in a booster, so now I don't have a tall harnessed seat anymore. I'm just at my wits end with her though!!

ADS

MommyShannon

I've been noticing DD do similar. Luckily she just kind of leans her head forward and sideways a little. Her back is still against the seat and belts positioned correctly. Its like she wants to prop her head near the front of the headwing. She's not even trying to look around. I wonder if it is just the angle of the seat. When I drive my head isn't flat against my headrest. I need my head more upright.

gsdguenter

Yup! DD1 (5.5) just started leaning out of position a lot after a few months if doing really well. Now she's back harnessed.

Phineasmama

I'm thinking maybe I should have gotten the Harmony Defender instead even with the short crotch strap at least she would be able to buckle the dang thing :( But they have disappeared from all my local wal mart stores, no idea why either.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I had the same thing happen, and as I thought about it more and more, it made perfect sense.
I think there are 2 things at work. first.. they aren't USED to being able to move. So they aren't leaning and stuff at first, because in a harness, you can't. Then one day the urge is strong and they lean ...and... they actually MOVE. Then, it's on. lol.

Second... it's a best behavior deal. They try to be on their best behavior at first, sort of like if you got a new job. Then, 6 months down the road... you're clocking in 5 minutes late and they are leaning over to see out the window ;)

I found with some simple reminders, the behavior improved again.

Phineasmama

LOL yeah I was thinking about that too, like maybe she was nervous at first and more likely to sit still but now she doesn't care :rolleyes: I have been nagging her constantly in the car but she just moves back for like 30 seconds and then she's doing it again, it's like she doesn't even realize she's doing it either!

arly1983

I am having a similar problem but its with backless vs. highback.

DD is just moved to the last notch on the dreamtime in highback mode and I haven't been able to find another highback that fits in my 3-across. Plus, with the s4m there I am having to slide the dreamtime out, then buckle, and then slide it back over. So I am kinda looking forward to a backless personally (though I really would like her to stay in a highback at least until she is 7 which is 6 months away). I put her in a backless a couple of times to see how she did and she just kinda LEANS away from the seatbelt putting it on her arm and not her shoulder. I keep reminding her and she told me that she liked to have sides to keep her straight because her body forgets. LOL! :D Sadly, though, I am really short on options. I wonder if the vivo will puzzle with the s4m...it didn't with the radian but maybe...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC