Frontier into a 2008 Range Rover sport

Austins-mama

Just help I can't for the life of me get this seat in.

Its my brother in laws car - so its unlikely he is going to let me take it get it checked properly. He went and bought the Frontier because its what I have for my son. So kudos to him for trying but now I can't get it in his car and he isn't likely to take the seat back.

He currently has my back up GN in his car because I gave up last time I attempted to install it. But i need the GN back this weekend so I need to get his seat in. Plus he is bugging me about it.

The seat belts don't seem long enough for LBP - even if I put all my weight in the seat it just won't reach.

I can't get the latch tight enough - maybe there a trick here I'm not thinking of because I never install mine using latch. I try pulling it through the seat if that makes sense.

and using the short belt path the seat seems lean towards the center it feels tight but theres a def lean.

I'm trying to install outboard - I haven't even attempted it in the center yet.

help me there must be something I'm not thinking or trying.

ADS

WhatAboutPuppy

This will probably be of little help but when I was trying to get a tight install using latch for booster mode I found it easier to tighten by only tightening one side all the way up... while kneeling in the seat. I don't know if that's how you're trying it... but trying to pull each side was for the birds and was NOT working for me.
It was a Honda Element too so a different vehicle would probably act differently but maybe a small help??

I hope you get some better ideas than mine. :eek:

TXDani

Senior Community Member
If it will help I can take my sons Frontier over to my moms and try it out in her Rover. Hers ins't a sport but the full sized Range Rover so it won't be the exact same but if you think it will help I can try for you. I hate installs in her Rover...they suckkkk!:p

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
For all installs try reclining the vehicle seat all the way while you tighten/buckle, then bring it back upright when you have it as tight as you can.

Try long belt path again and have someone hold the seat belt all the way out so you get every last inch of belt without any retracting.

Using LATCH try pulling the bottom of the Frontier forward an inch or so and make sure the LATCH anchors line up to go into the belt path, reclining the vehicle seat a notch or two can make it line up better too.

Try raising the vehicle headrest or taking it all the way off too.

To correct the leaning problem short belt path, try putting your weight more to one side while you install.

BTW, looking at pics of the Range Rover Sport, there is no middle position.

Austins-mama

If it will help I can take my sons Frontier over to my moms and try it out in her Rover. Hers ins't a sport but the full sized Range Rover so it won't be the exact same but if you think it will help I can try for you. I hate installs in her Rover...they suckkkk!:p

Thank you so much. Let me try some of the other suggestions and if they don't work I might take you up on it. Either that or persuade him to let ME take it to my tech. I know the Frontier is supposed to be difficult to install but this is ridiculus - it might be that its just not going to happen in which case he can keep the GN and I gain another Frontier.

Austins-mama

OK so after a nearly hour long wrestling match I think I got it in. I'll take pics and post them later to be sure.

I took the head rest off completely (and made BIL clean out his trunk of all other junk)

Using latch and top tether.

I had to recline the vehicle seat and the car seat to get them too line up right. and I just pulled one side. neat trick by the way it def made it easier than trying to do both sides.

obviously I I put the vehicle seat back in the correct position. I've got at most 1/4" movement along the belt path so not rock solid but within the allowed amount of movement.

The short belt path was not working full stop. no matter how evenly I tried to put my weight it still wanted to lean. and if I managed to get it tight enough the front of the seat wasn't sitting flat.

I managed to get it in using the long belt path and two people, but I REALLY had to pull the belt to get it in. And even though the seatbelt clicked - it looked to strained for me to feel it was safe. Can you over strain a seatbelt? because adventually we will need to put it in using the belt no latch.

I'm going to try and persuade him to get it checked because I'm really not confident with the install.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC