Forward facing, recline or no recline?

U

Unregistered

I was wondering if a little recline was better crash impact wise than sitting straight up? Seats that have forward facing recline options like the radian or the cargo, among others.

Is it better for a child, especially on the younger side of forward facing(2ish) to have some recline? I was thinking it may be helpful in a crash, but Im not sure?

ADS

SPJ&E

From what I understand (I am not a tech. though), the more upright the better when forward-facing. When child is forward-facing in a crash, their body is going to push forward into the harness. When they are completely upright, that will allow the entire harness the hold them in place. If they are recline, it is going to put more stress on the crotch area, rather than over the entire torso.

Sorry for my wording...I explained it the best I could!! Hopefully someone else will use the proper terms and explain it better!

U

Unregistered

hmm, ok. So if it was a husky it would be better to use it without the recline bar(top tethered of course)?(although I know the recline bar is not there to make it recline, it does recline it).

U

Unregistered

I don't know, but I have a Regent, and with the recline bar installed in my car, it's really not much of a recline at all. Is it like that with anybody else's?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I know w/ the Radian, the recline is very slight and I think it's there more to make the seat fit better in bucket style seats.

U

Unregistered

With the recline bar in our husky has as much recline as his marathon did. His marathon was as straight as I could get it and it still had some recline because it is just a slightly reclined seat. The husky is sitting straight as a board though.
He hasn't really liked it much since we got it and I have been wondering if some recline would solve that. He doesn't want to sit in it and asks for 'my seat'(the marathon).
I thought it was just a stage because he was getting his last teeth and was being irritable overall, but they are well in now and he still fights about it.

shashoo

I was just thinking about this today too =). When she is in the seat she looks like she is slouching. I was wondering if I took the recline bar out if it would help this. With the slouching I would think in a crash all of the force would be on the pelvis, right?
She moved from a WZ and the crotch buckle on the Husky makes the hip straps sit almost at her belly button. We are hardly ever in the car during a nap time or long enough to sleep so I'm not worried about her head falling forward. No recline bar may give her more leg room, but how do you undo the LATCH straps when there is not recline bar in providing space to get your hand in there?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC