Ford Focus or Hyundai Elantra Touring or ??

ontariomama

We're looking for a second car. We have a Grand Caravan that my DH needs for work (and I have nothing). We're probably moving out to the suburbs in the spring and I'll need a car to get around. I'm looking for a smaller car (ie cheaper). I'd like to get a Radian for my DS, and we are expecting in the summer, so there will be two rear-facing seats in there for quite a while. I'm about 5'7". We're thinking about getting new, ie 2010.

If neither of the options above appeal what would you choose and why?

Thanks!

ADS

kathysr98

All I can say is I :love: my Focus. With some work I think you could get a RF RN behind the driver's seat & you still fit. Another option would be put one behind the passenger seat, and one in the middle. I *know* 2 RN will fit next to each other because I have a Como & a RN next to each other in mine right now! Since it would be a second car, you could use the larger car when the entire family rode together.

ontariomama

Thanks :) We don't have a Radian yet, but I think we're going to buy one before car shopping and take it with us. I haven't seen either vehicle irl yet, just online. My DH is very intrigued by the Focus. I'll need enough room in the trunk for a stroller and maybe groceries. I'm glad to hear that a Radian will fit. What year is yours?

sparkyd

Thanks :) We don't have a Radian yet, but I think we're going to buy one before car shopping and take it with us.

Definitely do that if you are set on having a Radian. I have an '06 Focus hatch back (so possibly completely different than current models in this regard) and I hope to never have to use our Radian RF in it. I'm only 5'3" and it won't fit behind me for driving. It makes the passenger seat pretty much unusable. Didn't try middle. And this is with a nice upright install. Personally I would not use the Radian RF in a small-ish vehicle if I had a choice. Heck even in our Torrent which has tons of room in back it was too big to put behind my 6'3" DH.

ontariomama

Hmm. Good to know. I know that there isn't a hatchback model for the Focus this year. Maybe the sedan is different. I'll definitely have to check it out. I know that they do fit in smaller cars, ie Toyota Corolla and pp's Focus, so I'll just have to try before I buy :)

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I've had a RF Radian in the middle of our '06 Focus (wagon.) Neither front seat needed to be forward with it in the middle. :thumbsup: The Radian also installs really well FF when the time comes. :)

However, the 2006 models were the last year of that style; I'm not sure how their interiors compare to the current models. :shrug-shoulders:

kathysr98

As far as putting a stroller in the trunk goes, I have a 5 door hatchback, and a Maclaren fits with a weeks worth of groceries, and other assorted stuff. Read: I don't clean out my trunk very often!

rosey2007

I have a 07 Hyundai Elantra and what a great car it has been. This car has been very reliable since we bought it brand new in 07. Plus you get that great warrenty :).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC