Foonf- on amazon

bnsnyde

Wondering if there is any way to have the Foonf not so tall that it blocks the driver's view? Baseless? I really want one but I simply can't block my view. I'll have to stick one in the van when it comes out and see how it goes.

How about an organic cover?

I'm thinking of adding a Foonf and Oobr to our collection in the near future. An organic cover would easily sway me. Or at least something eco-friendly free of chemicals, flame retardants, etc.

ADS

Adorkable

Wondering if there is any way to have the Foonf not so tall that it blocks the driver's view? Baseless? I really want one but I simply can't block my view. I'll have to stick one in the van when it comes out and see how it goes.

I'm thinking of adding a Foonf and Oobr to our collection in the near future. An organic cover would easily sway me. Or at least something eco-friendly free of chemicals, flame retardants, etc.

maybe it too late at night and im totally off base here, but are you mocking me?

Adorkable

No, I don't work for Clek. I just thought I would answer while we waiting for Vera. (I am her unpaid secertary) ;) I have already emailed her.

i do appreciate the input, now since i have nearly 1000$ of carseats on order, i would like to hear it from the horses mouth, sort to speak, you know?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
bnsnyde said:

Probably a bit late in the process to be making changes that significant.

There's really no such thing as an organic car seat cover, nor can there be. They can use organic materials, but adding flame retardants effectively negates that. Even the less-toxic or "non-toxic" covers have chemicals to make them flame resistant, just not the chemicals known to be the most carcinogenic. And the problem with using alternative chemicals is that sometimes those turn out to be bad, too. The last "next best thing" has turned out to be one of the most problematic. Until/unless federal standards change, car seats will have chemicals.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Orbit uses wool in one of their covers, right? If you're that concerned you could go with an Orbit with the wool cover.

Of course, then I would never be able to play with your seat as I'm allergic to wool. ;)

T4K

Adorkable said:
maybe it too late at night and im totally off base here, but are you mocking me?

I totally didn't get that impression. We generally are all pretty friendly around these parts.

Reactions: nmb

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
ketchupqueen said:
Orbit uses wool in one of their covers, right? If you're that concerned you could go with an Orbit with the wool cover.

Of course, then I would never be able to play with your seat as I'm allergic to wool. ;)

I don't remember if it's wool, though they do tout is as organic. Of course, you can go to Babies R Us and buy an "organic" crib mattress that's still treated with the same chemicals as all the other ones.

Wool alone won't meet the flammability standard. Even conventionally sold wool mattresses have a layer of silica in them. That's probably not as bad as the usual chemicals, but is still a concern to some people.

I tried getting the Orbit rep to tell me what chemicals are used in their covers at Lifesavers last year, but he couldn't. (I don't remember if he didn't know, or just couldn't tell me.)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Oh yeah. I just remembered that I read that their wool cover has less of the chemicals than others (and whatever that most-toxic one is, they don't use it in any of their covers.)

Cryssy Jane

Just tuning in to this thread. The black on black looks soooo sleek. Wow. Black shell and red cover would be perfect in my car. I haven't played with the foonf yet, but can't wait to play a little and see if it would work in my car. I am slightly concerned with how tall it is up on the base as I'm a shortie and can barely see over the rf radians in my car.

tam_shops

Congratulations and welcome Vera! So thrilled and impressed to see someone from a company here AND that you are certified AND that you are a teacher tech too! Best of all that you are reading (even if you don't follow/copy/listen to) all our suggestions, complaints, concerns, problems and what we love too! While other companies may not get it, *we* are the ones that first buy these things and suggest (or not) them to dozens and dozens of your other customers...who then repeat it to others, yeah a tech friend of mine has a Clek....Such smart business practice!

I'm thrilled to see others here unhappy about the black not being Crypton and/or removable washable on the Foonf, for my own selfish reasons. I was *just* complaining about that about the Oobr. Glad I caught it before I bought it cause I'd have been hooped as soon as my youngest threw up on my oldest's seat, again...

Let them know, some kids throw up in the car a LOT and/or spill things and/or get things dirty in unimaginable ways even when you don't allow food in the car! If it's fine to bring the entire thing in the backyard and hose it (Foonf or Oobr) off, then I'm good. Otherwise, forget it for me! I have a spare cover for every seat I own for good reason...And, it's not just so they match! LOL

If I'm picking new colours, I'm picking a nice simple removable washable Onyx/Shadow with the same weave!

As for other covers/colours. Not a fan of the shade of blue, wouldn't want the green, and my oldest doesn't like the current Monkey designs, but did like the Skurvy...Saves me $$$ anyway, for now...

tam

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Right- I was talking to a bedding company at ABC a year or two ago. She explained that some fabrics like hemp, wool and others tend to have decent resistance to flammability without any treatment, and may require little or no processing to meet some standards. I'm not sure how different the bedding standards are from carseats, but presumably you can find some covers that tend to be treated with less toxic materials. Of course, you can't have it all. Price, "softness", stain resistance, durability and other factors will all be potential compromises.

http://www.orbitbaby.com/en/articles/flame-retardants/

I know Bokoo sells Chicco approved Keyfit covers that are organic and/or meet "GreenGuard" standards.

bnsnyde

I do find that durability and stain resistance would be a compromise with our Orbit, but it seems OK. It's free of brominated flame retardants, so I guess I have to be happy with that!

I didn't understand about the mocking question. No, of course not. :) I'm really excited about potential less toxic covers, the Foonf, etc. I didn't understand that comment. Maybe I'm sleep deprived, too. :D

Oh, and we have organic crib mattresses. They LIE on the box and say no harmful flame retardants. Well, how do they know? B/c when I called it was clear they DO use chemicals. But I figure it's better than nothing. They were cheap, too. $85. And none of that vinyl shell that's got to be toxic. Then you just have to make sure the mattress does not get wet!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC