Foonf for almost 3 year old with long torso?/was Re: New FOONF info!

birthday

Ok, so if I have a ridiculously long-torsoed almost-3-year-old who is currently FFing in a BLVD65 with ears approaching the top of the shell, would it be ridiculous to purchase this seat for her (assuming she can make it in her Britax until it comes out)? She's 40" and only 31 lbs, but she wears a size 5 t-shirt with 3T pants. I've been trying to figure out what to move her to that will keep her harnessed a while longer, but just don't love the Frontier. I'd been considering a Radian and possibly turning her back around, but several people on another site said it probably isn't worth it and I should just get the Frontier. I drive an '05 Odyssey, and while space isn't that big of an issue, we do drive cousins enough that a narrow seat would really help out with the third row puzzling. Would it be stupid to drop this kind of money on this seat for a child her size? I am thinking it could be passed to the baby (currently 3 months, 15 lbs in a KF30) when she outgrows the BLVD RFing.

So I guess my question is, is it worth it for the Foonf? With the crumple zone thing I'm thinking I'd feel less guilty if we ended up not RFing with it. Or should I just suck it up and get the Frontier, knowing it will never puzzle with 3 across in the 3rd row? Or get a Radian?

ADS

jacqui276

With having a baby that it can eventually be passed down to, I see no issues getting a foonf! It won't last as long as the Frontier, but when she outgrows the foonf, you could buy her a dedicated booster and pass it on to the little one.

bnsnyde

I don't think anything but 3 Radians would do 3 across in the third row of my Odyssey (2011). We have 2 side by side now, RF and FF. My 3-year-old (tall) is RF in the Radian. The narrow profile has been a lifesaver for us, about to add a 5th child. For me personally, I must be able to see out my windows well. The Foonf is just too tall. The Radians are perfect. The Frontier85 would probably be OK, too.

The Frontier85 supposedly has a crumple zone, too.

featherhead

Ok, so if I have a ridiculously long-torsoed almost-3-year-old who is currently FFing in a BLVD65 with ears approaching the top of the shell, would it be ridiculous to purchase this seat for her (assuming she can make it in her Britax until it comes out)? She's 40" and only 31 lbs, but she wears a size 5 t-shirt with 3T pants. I've been trying to figure out what to move her to that will keep her harnessed a while longer, but just don't love the Frontier. I'd been considering a Radian and possibly turning her back around, but several people on another site said it probably isn't worth it and I should just get the Frontier. I drive an '05 Odyssey, and while space isn't that big of an issue, we do drive cousins enough that a narrow seat would really help out with the third row puzzling. Would it be stupid to drop this kind of money on this seat for a child her size? I am thinking it could be passed to the baby (currently 3 months, 15 lbs in a KF30) when she outgrows the BLVD RFing.

So I guess my question is, is it worth it for the Foonf? With the crumple zone thing I'm thinking I'd feel less guilty if we ended up not RFing with it. Or should I just suck it up and get the Frontier, knowing it will never puzzle with 3 across in the 3rd row? Or get a Radian?

Just responding to the bolded part. Are her shoulders also below the top harness position? That is also part of the height requirements for fitting the seat. I wasn't sure if you were aware of that or not :)

Phineasmama

Just responding to the bolded part. Are her shoulders also below the top harness position? That is also part of the height requirements for fitting the seat. I wasn't sure if you were aware of that or not :)

Yes, and if so she might be close to outgrowing any other convertible as well, including the Foonf. I am pretty sure the Foonf doesn't have more than what a 17.5" top slot?

birthday

Yes, the straps are at the highest setting, but they are still above her shoulders. It looks like her ears will reach the shell before her shoulders actually pass the straps, but of course I could be wrong.

soccer_widow

I can get a number of different 3-across combos on the third row of my Ody, but they have all involved at least one Radian.

jacqui276

I can get a number of different 3-across combos on the third row of my Ody, but they have all involved at least one Radian.

I know it would puzzle differently because of the shape/height difference but isn't the base of the foonf supposed to be as narrow as the Radian?

April

The foonf is as narrow as the radian, but the shape is different. It actually allowed MORE buckling room for the boosters in my three across than the radian, but ymmv depending on your setup.
Posted via Mobile Device

birthday

Ok, I should have clarified that of the 4 cousins who do ride with us from time to time (we have the 8 passenger Odyssey), 3 are in boosters, as they are ages 5 and up and just as big for their ages as my kids. Only one is still in a convertible. But most of the time DD1's seat will be installed outboard on the driver's side. That said, we are planning on having more kids, so whatever we replace her current seat with will probably be around and in use to the end of its life, so trim will make things easier in the future for sure. I just don't want to buy her a convertible seat if it will only last her a few more months. I'm hoping there would be something that would last until she's ready for a booster. In light of her present maturity, she might be able to sit well in a booster a little before age 5. I'm sure she'll be ready size-wise by the time she's ready behaviorally. That said, if the frontier is really the only thing that will last until then, then frontier it is. But I would be totally jazzed if I could RF her again for a little bit. Not sure she'd be jazzed about it, but I can always pull the "be just like your baby sister" card, which usually works for anything.

Bottom line, you guys don't think the foonf will last any longer than a Radian?

Phineasmama

If she has a giant torso like that, really your best/only option is the Frontier 85. I doubt any convertible will last her till boostering age.

The good news is that the Frontier has a 9 year expiration, so if you do have more kids you will be able to pass it down for quite a while :)

birthday

Thanks. That's really what I needed to know! DH will be happy. He wanted them to have matching cowmooflauge. I was less enthused, but so be it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC