Foonf First Impressions & Successful Install Photo's, please add your too!

tam_shops

[*]my stickers on the side list the Canada weight (40lb) limits not the US (50lb) limits, this needs to be fixed before my kids outgrow the 40lb thing, i would not want someone to turn my seat away at a airport or something thinking i was going over weight RF. (is there any bigger issue with this that I'm not thinking of?, there was not some last last last minute change to the US weight that non of us heard about?)
[*]the seat has stickers in English on one side and Spanish on the other, i like that they are separate stickers, it makes it more straight forward, though depending on what side is facing out, you could have a whole lot of stuff that you cant understand looking at you, not super helpful. (are Canada's in English and French I assume?)

It's interesting that you got the Canadian weight 40#RF on your seat, but Spanish and not French. I'd also check that you have an actual American seat. The Canadian seats have a Maple Leaf on them w/ CMVSS 213 213.1. It's not always red, sometimes it's just black and white.

tam

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I didn't see anybody answer the question about non-standard LATCH spacing with rf'ing installs. Non-standard spacing is not allowed with rf'ing installs. It's in the rf'ing section of the manual if I remember correctly - assuming that both the US and Canadian manuals are similar in that regard anyways.

Adorkable

It's interesting that you got the Canadian weight 40#RF on your seat, but Spanish and not French. I'd also check that you have an actual American seat. The Canadian seats have a Maple Leaf on them w/ CMVSS 213 213.1. It's not always red, sometimes it's just black and white.

tam

yeah i thought the same thing, but it is clearly spanish, not french and it clearly has 40lb limits RF. i also have looked all over the seat, nothing makes me think i have a Canadian seat, no maple leaf. and there is a mention to the US NTSB, so i assume i have the right seat, the sticker thing is strange, i am going to ask Clek directly.

Adorkable

I didn't see anybody answer the question about non-standard LATCH spacing with rf'ing installs. Non-standard spacing is not allowed with rf'ing installs. It's in the rf'ing section of the manual if I remember correctly - assuming that both the US and Canadian manuals are similar in that regard anyways.

yeah the US manual says it requires a 11 spacing

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The 40 lbs stickers came on the first 2 weeks of seats. Mine has it too. Still has a 50 lbs limit though.

Adorkable

They should loo at replacing those stickers after the dust settles. It could lead to problems down the road, specially with folks that don't know better and don't read manuals. Or do read and get even more confused!

tam_shops

They should fix the stickers b/c it's the right thing to do, but I don't see it causing problems. So few people will ERF past 40# that the odds of it are slim. If the stickers were messed up in the other direction, sticker says RF #50, but only #40 is permitted I'd see both mistakes and problems.

Adorkable

They should fix the stickers b/c it's the right thing to do, but I don't see it causing problems. So few people will ERF past 40# that the odds of it are slim. If the stickers were messed up in the other direction, sticker says RF #50, but only #40 is permitted I'd see both mistakes and problems.

your line of thinking is self conflicting. if you say that few people would ERF past 40, then it also wouldn't matter that the sticker was wrong in saying that you can. if its a problem in that case, then its also a problem in the case of saying you can't. maybe more folks would if they had a seat and grew up with the info that you in fact can. specially in the case of a very stocky child that passes 40# young.

i agree in the end its just the right thing to do no matter the reason, but i also do think its problem both ways that can confuse folks.

Adorkable

can you lock down RF LATCH straps?

can you use the RF belt lock offs to secure the LATCH strap?
i see two reason why i want to do this

1. in my britax i tightened each side independently, this allowed me to focus my weight and force on one side at a time and it seems get a way tighter install

2. with it being one long strap, even when pretty darn snug the seat can slide back and forth along the belt path, allowing a bit of rotation, since I'm so used to the super tight install my BB gave me, this feel disconcerting.

i will mention that i think I'm getting less than and inch of movement, but it still seems like i can push it around more than i would prefer.

Adorkable

Observation #17

#17 - there are 4 little rectangular rubber feet on the bottom of base, they pop off really easy, i never messed with them but did notice one pop off while i was playing with the seat in the house, easy to put back on.

but then found two, more on my floor after installing my seat. i will have to go out tomorrow and take the seat out to pop them back in. so please be careful and check that the are in as you are installing the seat.

(still love love love how smooth the bottom of the seat is, my nice leather will really thank me for that!)

Persimmon

I've been having to take my Foonf out of the car a lot over the holidays and was consistently having trouble getting one side of the seat cushion off to get to the lock offs. I figured out if you push down on the seat cushion on the side that is sticking, the tab to release the cushion will work right away--at least on mine. I wasn't sure of someone had already mentioned this tip or not.

Ozella21

Help ladies I have pics of my Foonf installed in a Gmc seria extended cab 2003. But can not get them to upload. Can I email them to someone.

Phineasmama

Help ladies I have pics of my Foonf installed in a Gmc seria extended cab 2003. But can not get them to upload. Can I email them to someone.

Upload them to Photobucket or Flickr, then use the

Ozella21

2003 GMC Sierra extended cab. Foonf is in a RF seatbelt install on recline three. This was a really quick install, although the Foonf makes the rear view mirror unusable.

Attachments

• image-268275926.jpg
    image-268275926.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 99
  • image-3750860079.jpg
    image-3750860079.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 90

Persimmon

I am not a tech so can't comment on the install above but I just got off the phone with Clek and wanted to alert anyone with the same issue I have. On my seat there are two small holes (about a little less than 1/4") where the fabric meets the frame; one hole is on each side. Apparently this issue happened with some early production seats and they pulled them but mine slipped through. The date of manufacture is 11/30/2012 and has the old 40# RF limit sticker. Clek said the holes won't get bigger but offered to send a replacement seat or a rebate. I took the replacement seat since one side of my seat cushion doesn't lock into place and the other side is difficult to release. Since I have a Subaru and have to always use a seatbelt installation, I was afraid DH would get impatient when accessing the lockoffs and break the locking tab on the seat pad trying to get it off.

Also, when I had a tech check my installation, she noticed that the headrest moved up and down on the "slave" side. The headrests on this seat are like a car seat with two metal posts. The "master" side with the adjuster tab locks the headrest into place but the slave side moves up and down a bit. Clek said that it is supposed to do that and doesn't compromise the safety of the seat.

There was a question before about the piece of plastic that slides into the webbing of the crotch buckle. Clek says that it is supposed to keep the buckle from falling down into the seat frame so don't throw it away. The rep said it was a last minute addition so that is why it isn't in the manual.

Adorkable

\On my seat there are two small holes (about a little less than 1/4") where the fabric meets the frame; one hole is on each side. Apparently this issue happened with some early production seats and they pulled them but mine slipped through. The date of manufacture is 11/30/2012 and has the old 40# RF limit sticker. Clek said the holes won't get bigger but offered to send a replacement seat or a rebate. I took the replacement seat \

yeah do you mean on the sides of the main body about where there knees would be, there is a screw under it? that was something i noted that look like it was really unfinished. both mine have that. please let me know if that is the same thing, i would love to get that fixed up.

There was a question before about the piece of plastic that slides into the webbing of the crotch buckle. Clek says that it is supposed to keep the buckle from falling down into the seat frame so don't throw it away. The rep said it was a last minute addition so that is why it isn't in the manual.

yeah my second seat had it still installed where it goes and it makes sense if kinda makeshift. it slips into the buckle strap so that the lager part is below the sewn line and the smaller part is right above the sewn line.

Persimmon

yeah do you mean on the sides of the main body about where there knees would be, there is a screw under it? that was something i noted that look like it was really unfinished. both mine have that. please let me know if that is the same thing, i would love to get that fixed up.

No, mine are also on the sides of the main body but almost to the very top and at the edge exactly where the cover meets the shell. The ones by the knees are finished around the edges of the fabric and look similar to slits in the cover for the straps but smaller, right? I have those on both mine as well. The ones that are considered a cosmetic defect are not finished around the edges and are much smaller. I would post a pic but I am not with the seat. I was thinking of gluing the slits by the knees so they don't start opening up but wasn't sure what glue would adhere to the foam and fabric well.

Adorkable

hmm no my lower ones are certainly NOT finished like the strap slits, they are a 1/4 or 5/16 circle punched in the fabric, it looks like they are for access to that screw. maybe that is the first step to removing the main cover, it does not say how to do that in the manual and says to go to the website, but the website does not have the info yet either.

can you take a picture of what you are talking about when you are around the seat again, it would be great info to post here.

Persimmon

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b621/Persimmon1/IMG_FoonfRight10001_zps9c57f5d1.jpg

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b621/Persimmon1/IMG_Foonfleft10001_zpsfee67e9e.jpg

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b621/Persimmon1/IMG_FoonfLeft20001_zps7c1a2204.jpg

The first two are the ones that Clek considered a cosmetic defect on my seat. The third pic is the one I was talking about by the knees and I just figured out that it might be the cup holder attachment opening. I should have looked at the manual closer.

You could email your pics to Clek at customerservice@clekinc.com and see what they say. Good luck.

Adorkable

What very interesting now is that one seat has those lower slits (if i recall its DOM was Sept), and just like yours they are hemmed. the other seat (DOM Dec.) does not have them at all, but does have a slit, not a hole, from the edge of the fabric that is supposed to be under the shell but is poking out, to about 3/8th in into the fabric just about where your "cosmetic defect" is. will upload a pic in a min

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC