flying with a car seat

agatakal

So I've read a lot that you should not check your car seat when you fly so it does not get damaged which makes perfect sense. I'm considering buying a Radian RXT and will need to fly it with so I called Diono to see what they say. To my surprise they said they have no concerns about their seats being checked in on planes and getting damaged. They recommend that it's in their bag but confirmed the bag is not any different than a regular duffel bag (no padding or protection).

Any thoughts?

I would like to carry it on board as carryon luggage but I'm afraid I already have too much carry on and the airline will not let my kid sit in it. That's another long story.

Also I'm reading mixed comments about the ease of installation on the Radiant. Any hints? Will start out RF as long as it fits in the car. Son is 2.5 years old, about 24 lbs, avg height but long torso. Right now in a Britax which will will be passed down to his 9 month old sis.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
ADS

monica-m

CPST Instructor
How easily a Radian will install is dependent on the vehicle and seating position. I have never had any problems installing ours but I haven't tried it in any vehicles with known incompatibilities.

I am confused as to why you would have to check it or have it as a carry on for a child that is 2. Children should be restrained in car seats on airplanes. If you are flying a US domestic carrier, they have to let you use a FAA approved seat. International carriers have different rules but if you let us know who you are flying with, we can steer you in the right direction. It is unlikely that you would be able to get a Radian rear facing on a plane but I would not worry about forward facing a 2 year old on a plane. My 2 year old will be FF on a flight to London in 6 weeks. We are flying British Airways and they do not allow rear facing.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Diono seems to think that since their seat is very strong it won't get damaged. I've seen Radians that were damaged (cracked plastic, missing foam, visible dents in metal) after flying. I wouldn't go by what they say on this. The seat does not count as carryon if your child is using it on the plane (on domestic flights anyway.) Your son should sit in it on the plane, and FAA regulations require they allow him to do so since he will have his own purchased seat.

The Radian is not the easiest to install in some vehicles (very easy forward-facing on a plane, though!) but goes in well in others. I would probably count on rear-facing in the car but forward-facing on the plane as you will not be able to fit it rear-facing on a plane in many aircraft even with the angle adjuster (in some it will work IF you bring the angle adjuster accessory.)

good luck!

agatakal

Sorry I guess I was not clear. We will RF in the car and I'm flying an international airline that will not let me have my son in a car seat. Yes I know he's safest in it but the airline does not care. I will not be flying them again. Hopefully this clarifies why my son will not be in it. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to transport the seat.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
That makes more sense. Which airline is it (just for my own personal reference)?

I would take it as a carry on and stow it in the overhead bin. Would it be possible to use a CARES harness on the plane?

agatakal

How easily a Radian will install is dependent on the vehicle and seating position. I have never had any problems installing ours but I haven't tried it in any vehicles with known incompatibilities.

Can you help me understand how one is supposed to know if it's compatible? If you travel with a seat and need to use it in various vehicles at your destination, how do you know it will fit? I'm really struggling with that.

agatakal

It's Polish Airlines LOT and no they don't allow the harness either. I will be in Europe for a few months so I'm trying to decide if I should buy a car seat here and drag it there with me or buy one there and avoid the transportation issue. However the car seats in Europe are so different that I don't really feel like learning that much about them so I would prefer to have my seat that I'm familiar with and know how to install.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
If you're going to be traveling in Europe, I would recommend a seat with built in lockoffs so you don't have to mess with a locking clip for the install. Your Britax seat will have built in lockoffs.

This is what I would do in your situation:

Buy a seat with built in lockoffs. Hang on to the box. Check the seat in the original box. The box will help protect it from damage.

Seats I can think of off the top of my head that have built in lockoffs are Britax convertibles, The First Years True Fit, and the Recaro ProRide. I might have missed one or two.

We will be using a Combi Coccoro for our upcoming travels. It's a compact seat and my son is very close to outgrowing it rear facing but I'm hoping he will still fit until we get back. It does not have a built in lockoff for rear facing but it does have a locking clip that clips on to the buckled belt.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Seatbelts in Europe don't have locking seatbelts, so if you install with the seatbelt you'll need to use a locking clip or get a seat with lockoffs. Lockoffs are handy since they are on the seat and are easier to use, but a locking clip is no big deal.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My cousin has flown with a Radian and folded it up and put it in the overhead. They may or may not fit depending on the plane. It would probalby count against carryon in that case.

However I would also want something with lockoffs if changing cars was going to be frequent. A locking clip is an additional piece you have to use on the belt: http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

A lockoff is much easier as it is an in-built part of the seat.

However, seats with lockoffs (other than possibly the Combi Coccoro) are not going to fit in the overhead. :( So, you'll have to figure out a way to safely check them- that would probably be to buy a sturdy heavy duty cardboard box (not just the box it comes in) and pad it well, preferably with bubble wrap, filling any gaps in the box to ensure a snug fit.

agatakal

and I just called the airline and if I check the car seat it counts as luggage so I need to pay for it!!!! How frustrating. And I have two kids to worry about, also was looking at Radian's because they are narrow. I will have one main car there but don't know about the seatbelts. I assume the lockoffs are only an issue if you're not using Latch, right?

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Lockoffs/locking clips are only a concern if the seat belts do not lock. Most seat belts in Europe are have ELRs (emergency locking retractor). Most of our seat belts here have switchable retractors so we can lock the belt when installing a car seat. Some Euro vehicles have ISOFIX (lower anchor system) but it's not very common.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
A poster who's traveled extensively in Europe posted in another thread that she has yet to encounter ISOFIX (which has lower anchors like our LATCH) in any rental car or taxi in Europe. :( So unless you're staying with family and using their car(s) and know for SURE they have ISOFIX, I would not count on it being available.

BananaBoat

A poster who's traveled extensively in Europe posted in another thread that she has yet to encounter ISOFIX (which has lower anchors like our LATCH) in any rental car or taxi in Europe. :( So unless you're staying with family and using their car(s) and know for SURE they have ISOFIX, I would not count on it being available.

:yeahthat:

That would be me.

We've traveled in Europe over than past 3 years with our older daughter & haven't yet found a taxi OR rental car that has ISOFIX (LATCH equivalent). Most European cars do NOT have ALR belts & require a locking clip. We've found this to be the case in Italy, Germany, Croatia & Greece. And I'm not talking 10 year old cars! The rentals we've had are less than 2 years old & in Germany the taxis are new Mercedes. Don't count on LATCH/ISOFIX & get very familiar with a locking clip! Good luck :)

cantabdad

Interesting that you mention that LOT will not allow the carseats. There was a series of posts in 2010 about flying on LOT, where there was some confusion on the part of the airline staff, but ultimately the poster _was_ allowed to use her carseats onboard.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=117972

I can't find any information at all on this on the airline's US website, and would not know what to look for in Polish.

agatakal

Good news - the primary car that we will use does have ISOFIX and locking seatbelts and as a result will now become our permanent car. So I think we'll go with the Radian and carry it on the plane and try to use it on the plane. If they don't let us then it can go in the overhead bin. That takes care of my son (2.5). Not sure what I'll do for my daughter who will be 11 months at that point and might outgrow her Gracco Snugride. She's a lap child on the plane so if I take the Gracco I have to gate check it and I don't like doing it. Or a second Radian.

One more question. I know the Radian advertises up to 120 lbs. How realistic is it? How long does it really last in terms of weight, height, etc? Can I expect to use it until my kids are out of car seats/booster seats?

Anyways, thanks for the help!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
120 lbs. is the booster limit. It does not make a booster that I (or most of us) would ever want to use for everyday use, and only with careful monitoring for once in a while use. The weight limit on the harness is 65 or 80 lbs. depending on model; most children will outgrow it somewhere around 60-70 lbs. in my experience. (It is the only seat on the market that approves use with the shoulders above the top slots as long as ears are below the shell; however that will not work on the model with headwings, the RXT, because the wings press down the shoulders, and many kids will be uncomfortable even in the others before ears reach the top of the seat.) There are some shorter-torsoed or very heavy children who may get beyond 65 lbs. though so that is very dependent on build. No child will fit the booster until they pass the Five-step Test, usually between 10 and 12 years of age; a child will need a booster after even if you choose to use this seat as a booster (and many children outgrow the seat as a booster before they are really able to use it as a booster.)

agatakal

I'm sorry but I'm very confused by your answer. I'm looking at the RXT. Are you saying that it does not really work as a booster but I can reasonably expect to use it as a FF car seat until the child is about 65 lbs? I'm just trying to avoid buying another car seat in a few years. I don't mind buying a $20 booster when the time comes but if I go with the RXT I want it to be my last car seat.
Thanks for sharing the 5 step test - I have not seen that before. That's to get them out of the booster right? What do you mean by '(and many children outgrow the seat as a booster before they are really able to use it as a booster'

My kids have long torsos and are very skinny. My son at 2.5 yrs old is barely 24 lbs.
Thanks again and sorry for all the questions.

Eclipsepearl

My kids have short torsos and long legs (and arms). My dd is 8 and just outgrew it (need to update siggy). That model doesn't have the wings. She has to use a booster because of her short torso, the shoulder belt goes over her neck. This might not be a problem for your child with a longer torso. But yes, that was our last car seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC