Flying with a 2 1/2 year old, what seat?

todzwife

I'm considering getting a Coccoro just for travel because of how light it is. It doesn't install in the captains chairs in my van (but does in the back) It installs beautifully in DH's small car. I sold mine though when we bought the van because I prefer my youngest in the captains chair.

She's 2 1/2, weighs in just under 24 pounds fully clothed and is a whopping 32 inches tall. She has a seated height of 20 inches from butt to the top of her head and 13 inch shoulder height (she's all torso).

Would the Coccoro be our best bet? The scenera also does not install on the captains chairs in my van. We had a tribute but gave it to a family that needed it, but I could buy another one. DH said we should just bring the turbobooster for her and I calmly told him that she's too young for one but he doesn't want to bring a heavy seat.

I have the radian and safety first complete air. The car we are renting is just a full-size sedan so space will be limited. My older 2 will be in bubble bums.

ADS

cantabdad

I was going to let others weigh in first since I'm not as familiar with all of the seats, but I got to see the Coccoro for the first time yesterday -- and it is certainly a cute little seat and very practical for travel. I would not necessarily buy one just for one trip, but if you think it would be handy to keep as a spare for grandparents/carpool or for other upcoming travel, then sure.

Of the seats that you already have, the Radian sounds like a good bet only if you were planning to FF on the plane. My understanding is that it is hard to fit it RF in most coach configurations. (Is the angle adjuster approved for aircraft use?) You could do FF on the plane and then RF in the rental car, but you'd need to pack the boot in your carry-on and re-adjust the shoulder harnesses.

So the Complete Air sounds a little more convenient by that standard, and it is lighter. It's a bit wider than the Radian, but my hunch is that you'd still be able to do that plus 2 Bubble Bums in the rental car. Hopefully someone with more direct experience can comment on that aspect.

creideamh

I wouldn't for just one trip (really, I wouldn't unless I was travelling like, every week to get enough use out of it for a 2.5 year old.) I'd just spend 40 bucks on a Tribute. I never had great luck when travelling with a CCO, though... it was always harder for me to install in random cars than the Tribute.

mrosehughes

I'd take the radian and FF it on the plane; that's what we do. With the angle adjuster it will RF in almost every car, I think (at least, we haven't had a problem). We strap it to a stroller for in the airport then DH puts it on his back with two carry straps up and down the aisle. We just leave the boot on it until we get to our seats and then stow it.

todzwife

Out of curiosity, what van do you have?

2012 Sienna w/ leather seats. The slope of the captains chairs makes RFing kind of tricky. The back seat, however, is fantastic for every seat I've tried. The way the captains chairs fold up on themselves though makes the slope of the bottom of the seat pretty deep (knees are probably a good 3-4 inches higher than the bite of the seat).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC