Flying/rental car with 5 year old

DisneylandMom

We are still a couple years away from this vacation....but I am an uber-planner...ha!

We have flown twice with our son before....17 months old and 3 and half. For the first trip we used the Cosco Scenera on plane and in rental car. Second time we used the Evenflo Maestro on airplane and in rental car. Both worked really well. My son has autism and is non-verbal. I feel like being in a regular car seat helped him to sit better on the flights (though he did kick the seat in front a bit...ugh.)

Our next trip won't be until late 2018 or early 2019. He will be around 5 years (and a couple months) old at that time. Currently he is around 40-41 inches tall and 36 pounds or so.

I know that by our next trip, he can likely sit safely on the airplane using the belt. But we will need a car seat in our rental car. I feel 5 is still quite young for a booster (correct?) so I would prefer to use the Maestro again. But I worry he'll be too big to also use it on the airplane. I do NOT want to check or gate check it.

So what would you guys do in this situation?

ADS

Dillipop

I would wait until closer to the trip and see if he still fits. If he doesn't, there might be a new awesome seat on the market that would work well for your trip. A year and a half to 2 years can mean a lot of new products to consider.

DisneylandMom

Well, I would prefer to not buy something new unless it's super cheap like a backless booster or something. We have already purchased 5 car seats for our one child. I am hoping we won't have to purchase yet another product we only use on one vacation.

He will still fit in the maestro, in general. But I wasn't sure if people ever brought car seats on the plane for kids that old.

Dillipop

Well, I would prefer to not buy something new unless it's super cheap like a backless booster or something. We have already purchased 5 car seats for our one child. I am hoping we won't have to purchase yet another product we only use on one vacation.

He will still fit in the maestro, in general. But I wasn't sure if people ever brought car seats on the plane for kids that old.

Ok. I think I misunderstood your original question.

Yes, I take car seats on the plane for children that still use a harness. Once my kids transition to boosters, they use the plane seat.

DisneylandMom

Ok. I think I misunderstood your original question.

Yes, I take car seats on the plane for children that still use a harness. Once my kids transition to boosters, they use the plane seat.

If they use the plane seat but still need some sort of restraint in the car...what do you use for them?

So it's not completely outside the realm of possibility to have a 5 year old sit on an Evenflo Maestro on an airplane?

Dillipop

Once my kids are out of a harness, which for us has been around age 6, we take backless boosters and take them on the plane with is and stow them under the seat. Until then, they sit in their harness seat on the plane.

I also have a couple ride safer travel vests which we've used for kids between 5 and 10, depending on what kind of driving we're doing when we get there.

rachelandtyke

We will be flying with my almost 5 year old, and she will be sitting in her normal convertible car seat on the plane. I'd have him use the Maestro without a second thought.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC