Flying for Thanksgiving....seat help needed...

ommd

We are traveling on Southwest in a few weeks with our 7 and 3 (almost 4) year old. We will need seats on the other end as we are renting a car and will likely do some driving since we will be there for over a week. We are bringing the 7's booster ...packing the back and putting the base in the overhead bin. For the 3yr old, which seat would you recommend for use on the plane and in the rental? We have a MyRide, Evenflo Triumph Advance, SK Radian, and Frontier. Or would buying a Maestro be my best bet?

Thanks!

ADS

jjordan

Hmm, well, all of your seats are quite big! However I probably would not buy a new seat just for the flight. If you have a need for a spare seat anyway, then go ahead and get a maestro. Otherwise, there are pros and cons to any of your seats.

I'd probably skip the frontier since it is the biggest.

The radian is heavy, but some people like it as a travel seat becaues of the ability to wear it like a backpack. Also when it is forward facing on an airplane, there is room for the tray table to come down. The down side is that the installation might be tricky in the rental car (though you could probably request a different car if you find this to be the case), it is HEAVY, and if your 3 year old would like to sleep on the plane, the uprightness of the radian might prevent that from happening.

The Myride and EFTA are basically a toss-up IMO. They are similarly-sized and install similarly well in general. If you have a favorite between the two of them and you don't want to take the radian, then I think either of these would be fine.

Jan06twinmom

I would lean towards taking the Radian. I love how it folds up to be carried through the airport and how well it works on the plane. It was my favorite seat on the plane since my DS was able to use the tray table when we were on the plane. Having the tray down was great for playing, coloring and eating on the plane. I know the seat is heavy, but my DH carried the Radian and he didn't seem to mind the weight.

We've also flown with the old style Evenflo Triumph seats and the Britax convertible seats, and I didn't like them because they were so bulky. With the seats that sit higher up (like the Triumph and MyRide), a child who is riding forward-facing can't use the tray table and then don't have much leg room. I was concerned when the person in front reclined their seats because my DD didn't have much leg room left.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've flown with the Radian, I love it forward facing on the plane! Just have a cart to strap it to or traveling toddler if you'll have rolling carryon, so you can pull instead of carrying it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC