Fly with Next Fit or Advocate

Hazelandlucy

My daughter doesn't fit rear facing in the CCO I just discovered. So now I either have to fly with Advocate or Nextfit (or Foonf). Which one is easier and can anyone even sit next to the Advocate with those cushions? The planes are MD 88s? Thank you!

ADS
The NextFit is 25lbs and the Advocate is 21lbs so I'd probably take the Advocate. They're both big seats so for me it would come weight.

If you have a luggage cart and don't mind lugging the Foonf, it's slim and would probably fit in the plane seats better (just my guess).

creideamh

My only worry was the 34 lb weight of the seat, but I'm not a huge fan of heavy seats for travel anyway so maybe I'm bias ;)

Oh I 100% agree, but none of those 3 are fab travel options LOL. The Foonf would just be easier to sit next to. If kiddo is over 2 I'd just use the CCO FF to avoid bringing one of those (duck)

kaharris83

We had a similar set of options last month. We had a Boulevard not an Advocate though. We opted not to do the Foonf since we would have had to carry the bar and rear facing base on the plane so they didn't get lost. In the end the other two proved too heavy and we got an Easy Fit 65. We found it much better to use a lighter seat for travel. Especially when you have 2 little ones in seats.

Hazelandlucy

Oh I 100% agree, but none of those 3 are fab travel options LOL. The Foonf would just be easier to sit next to. If kiddo is over 2 I'd just use the CCO FF to avoid bringing one of those (duck)

She is just two. Ok to FF? I am having the hardest time getting the Next Fit not to slide around more than an inch in my car (it's normally my mom's seat) that I am a little scared of installing it in a strange car (will be dodge grand caravan rental).

Would you consider purchasing an Evenflo SureRide or Cosco Scenera (if she still fits RF) and use that RF at the destination and FF on the plane? I usually don't like seeing 2 year olds forward face at all if there's a way around it, but if I had only those options you listed in the OP, I would probably FF her in the CCO for the trip.

MamanMag

Would you consider purchasing an Evenflo SureRide or Cosco Scenera (if she still fits RF) and use that RF at the destination and FF on the plane? I usually don't like seeing 2 year olds forward face at all if there's a way around it, but if I had only those options you listed in the OP, I would probably FF her in the CCO for the trip.

My thoughts exactly!! I'm planning on using a couple of sureride if my twins have outgrown their cco ff when it's time for us to travel... I once hauled an orbit baby onboard a flight and it was not easy!! And it's not nearly as heavy as the foonf!! The lighter, the better when it comes to flying!! And with a "traveling toddler" attachment (found on Amazon) you can carry the seat attached to your carry-on, very handy!!

Have a fun trip!!

Mag

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Car-Seat.Org

creideamh

I would and have FF at 2 in the CCO for vacation. Where are you going? If you're doing a lot of driving, then I too would pick up a lighter seat to RF if possible.

Hazelandlucy

I would and have FF at 2 in the CCO for vacation. Where are you going? If you're doing a lot of driving, then I too would pick up a lighter seat to RF if possible.

It will be in FLorida and we will be on I-95 a few times. The CCO is borderline outgrown. I can't really tell if she is within an inch - she's probably about 3/4 or 1/2 inch from top - too dangerous? Worse than FF?

MamanMag

It will be in FLorida and we will be on I-95 a few times. The CCO is borderline outgrown. I can't really tell if she is within an inch - she's probably about 3/4 or 1/2 inch from top - too dangerous? Worse than FF?

She may have outgrown her CCO... I would go with a Sureride.

To tell if a seat is outgrown, buckle her in as usual and get a book that is 1" thick and rest it on her head (she's going to give you a weird look, fair warning), angle it so that it is perpendicular with the back of the car seat (not parallel to the ground) and see if it is below, even with or above the shell.

If she's less than one inch from the top of the shell then the seat absolutely cannot be used RF. An outgrown RF seat is not safe, a properly fitting FF seat is safe. When it comes to the one inch rule, it's very set-in-stone. When she rides up the back of the shell in a collision the seat is designed to protect her head and body and keep it within the confines of the shell. They have tested it with this rule and it has passed with this rule. Yes, there are other seats (the Cosco Apt is one such example) that have a "head even with the top of the shell" rule, but that is a different shell with different harness geometry, has different belt paths, etc. So who knows. The CCO may have been tested that way and failed, or has not been tested that way at all, and IMO its not a risk you should take ;)

It's a good question though, very valid thinking but it's a rule that absolutely should not be broken. It's not like taking an infant insert out at 21lbs when the manual states "use the infant insert until 22lbs".

MamanMag

The CCO height limit RF is 36" and FF 40", you should also measure your LO to make sure she is within the height limit.

Hazelandlucy

The CCO height limit RF is 36" and FF 40", you should also measure your LO to make sure she is within the height limit. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Car-Seat.Org[/QUOTE

She is 34 inches. Must have a long torso I guess.

If the CCO doesn't state the one inch rule, does it still apply? Would they not get in trouble if it's not stated and a child under 36 inches was hurt from RF? I feel like a normal parent not on this forum would not be aware of the 1" rule if not in the manual. Just curious, I do understand the reason for the rule.

MamanMag

She must indeed have a long torso... I read the manual again and it only mentions the height limit, I haven't seen anything about the 1" rule... So apparently it doesn't apply to their seat... Not sure if they have tested it that way though.

So according to their manual, you can still use it RF.

But just to be on the safe side I would use it FF or I would buy a Sureride for the trip.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC