Fllo on plane

Hazelandlucy

Would it actually be that bad FF on a plane? I know it's heavy, but my husband would deal with that. It's narrow and doesn't seem to take up a lot of room. I would either pack the anti rebound bar or leave it off for the trip. If I brought the Fllo and Britax for the kids, I would feel totally confident installing with isofix or a non locking seat belt. My normal travel seats (Coccoro and Guide) would need locking clips if I couldn't get a good latch install and probably noodles, etc.

The plane is a Delta boeing 767-400.

Is there any chance of getting the BlVD to RF? I am mostly concerned with enough recline for my 10 month old to sleep. I would put it behind DD1 so no one complains.

ADS
You said the Coccoro and Guide are your normal travel seats, and it does seem like it would be simpler in general to travel with those than with the Fllo. The Advocate, at a little over 20" wide, may have to be lifted pretty high to get it through the aircraft aisle, and at over 20 lbs would also be a bit heavy, especially if you're lugging the Fllo as well. A 767 will probably have a 17" wide aisle. FAA requirement for a plane of that size is min. 15" wide w/in 25" of the floor, and 20" wide above that.

Where are you traveling and what will you be driving on the other end? My understanding is that, in the U.S., cars built beginning in 1996 are required to have locking seat belts. I have encountered non-locking seat belts internationally but never (at least not since I've been traveling with carseats! :) ) here. To switch a shoulder belt from emergency locking mode to automatic locking mode, slowly pull it all the way out without yanking.

As far as needing a noodle for install, you could either pack a small towel and roll it up if need be, or call ahead to the rental car place and ask whether they have towels available for the purpose of installing carseats. I was shocked, when installing a carseat once, when the rental car agent came trotting out with some old towels for us to try. Seems some of them are aware!

What's a BIVD?

Hazelandlucy

You said the Coccoro and Guide are your normal travel seats, and it does seem like it would be simpler in general to travel with those than with the Fllo. The Advocate, at a little over 20" wide, may have to be lifted pretty high to get it through the aircraft aisle, and at over 20 lbs would also be a bit heavy, especially if you're lugging the Fllo as well. A 767 will probably have a 17" wide aisle. FAA requirement for a plane of that size is min. 15" wide w/in 25" of the floor, and 20" wide above that.

Where are you traveling and what will you be driving on the other end? My understanding is that, in the U.S., cars built beginning in 1996 are required to have locking seat belts. I have encountered non-locking seat belts internationally but never (at least not since I've been traveling with carseats! :) ) here. To switch a shoulder belt from emergency locking mode to automatic locking mode, slowly pull it all the way out without yanking.

As far as needing a noodle for install, you could either pack a small towel and roll it up if need be, or call ahead to the rental car place and ask whether they have towels available for the purpose of installing carseats. I was shocked, when installing a carseat once, when the rental car agent came trotting out with some old towels for us to try. Seems some of them are aware!

What's a BIVD?

Sorry, I mean BLVD as in Britax Boulevard! In my husband's car I have a Foonf/Adcocate and in my car right now it's a Blvd/Fllo. I am not wanting to take the CCO or Guide because we are going to the UK and dealing with a variety of cars, one of which I know for sure does not have latch/isofix or locking seat belts and I am not that confident with locking clips, especially since I find the CCO hard in general. I know I can do a good seat belt or latch install with the Fllo and Britax (sometimes with my CCO, I can't get it right with anything).

But my dilemma is bringing the Britax for the baby and having it very upright to fit RF. I would FF, but I think that is also going to be very upright for a 9 hr night flight. I love the CCO on planes because I can recline to 45 degrees.

1mommy

Can't you use the European belt routing method for the CCO, thus not needing a locking clip?

Edit: Ahh re-reading it now and I see the problem is that you can't always get a good install with it... between not being sure of getting a good install and having to either lug the Britax which you are not sure your baby will be comfortable in, or the Guide 65 and deal with locking clip I would take the Guide 65. As for noodles/towels, if you are re-installing the seat often as it sounds like you will be, I find I don't necessarily need the noodles, I just prefer them, but on my leather seats it has a tendency to slip down over time and become over reclined without pool noodles.

Hope that makes sense to you, I'm stil on my first cup of coffee!

Edit: looking at your signature- why dont you simply being the Keyfit for the baby if she still fits in it? No noodles required and should be reclined enough on plane (I think at least)? You will still have to deal with a locking clip for installs, but seems easiest to me.

I understand your aversion to locking clips. I don't like them either. Especially if you're going to be doing installs in several different vehicles, as it sounds like you'll be.

I haven't traveled with Cleks so I really can't say what it'd be like. They're narrow but SO heavy! Maybe if they were strapped to rolling carry-on bags (e.g. Traveling Toddler-style) they'd be manageable through the airport and aircraft aisles, but they're heavy even to be moving in and out of different cars.

Britaxes are my favorite for travel, because they seem to always install well. If the incline angle RF is your main concern with the Britax, what about using a rolled towel to adjust the angle as far as you can? If you're going to have your older child FF in a carseat in the next row up, you could probably get a decent angle on since that other seat won't need to recline.

Hazelandlucy

Can't you use the European belt routing method for the CCO, thus not needing a locking clip?

Edit: Ahh re-reading it now and I see the problem is that you can't always get a good install with it... between not being sure of getting a good install and having to either lug the Britax which you are not sure your baby will be comfortable in, or the Guide 65 and deal with locking clip I would take the Guide 65. As for noodles/towels, if you are re-installing the seat often as it sounds like you will be, I find I don't necessarily need the noodles, I just prefer them, but on my leather seats it has a tendency to slip down over time and become over reclined without pool noodles.

Hope that makes sense to you, I'm stil on my first cup of coffee!

Edit: looking at your signature- why dont you simply being the Keyfit for the baby if she still fits in it? No noodles required and should be reclined enough on plane (I think at least)? You will still have to deal with a locking clip for installs, but seems easiest to me.

Do I have to order a locking clip? I have used it overseas before and pretty sure I didn't use a locking clip, but I used to be very clueless about carseats. I took her out of the Keyfit at around 7 months because she hated it, but it would be useful for when we land in the UK at 130 am US time! Would love to keep her sleeping a bit longer through customs. I will see if she fits and how much she screams! She hated the recline, but that is what I am looking for on the plane.

Hazelandlucy

I understand your aversion to locking clips. I don't like them either. Especially if you're going to be doing installs in several different vehicles, as it sounds like you'll be.

I haven't traveled with Cleks so I really can't say what it'd be like. They're narrow but SO heavy! Maybe if they were strapped to rolling carry-on bags (e.g. Traveling Toddler-style) they'd be manageable through the airport and aircraft aisles, but they're heavy even to be moving in and out of different cars.

Britaxes are my favorite for travel, because they seem to always install well. If the incline angle RF is your main concern with the Britax, what about using a rolled towel to adjust the angle as far as you can? If you're going to have your older child FF in a carseat in the next row up, you could probably get a decent angle on since that other seat won't need to recline.

I think we would strap the Fllo to the stroller. My husband is fine to deal with it on his own, he said, so I am really just concerned with how it would be on the plane seat. He is the one that really wants to bring it as he thinks all these travel seats I have hanging around are ridiculous.

I am only worried about the Britax not fitting RF in the actual plane and having the baby quite upright. She is a light sleeper and I feel like that sort of thing might bother her, especially if her head flops around. Can they fit on most planes RF?

If your husband is that determined to travel with the Fllo, I'd say go ahead and let him! If you can actually get it strapped to the stroller, that is. Be sure you take a dry run or two. It's narrow enough, I can't imagine there would be a problem with it fitting on the aircraft.

If it goes well, then you haven't had to deal with the locking clip issue and he is happy. And if he turns out not to enjoy lugging the thing, then you still haven't had to deal with the locking clip -- and he may give you less grief in the future about your "ridiculous" travel seats. Either way, be sure to let us know how this seat travels!

As for the second seat, I prefer not to travel with infant seats just because I find it easier to roll convertibles through airports, but if you have a good method for carrying it then it sounds like the locking clip issue is solved and it could be easier on the other end.

I haven't installed a Boulevard on an airplane but imagine it would be fine behind a non-reclining seat. Others may be able to answer this better for you.

You said you're headed to the U.K. -- if you're flying British Airways, be aware they won't let you install a carseat rear-facing. I have no idea why but they're sticklers about this rule.

SnoGurl

People have successfully traveled with the foonf, so I say if your husband wants to travel with the fllo, by all means. Do you plan to use it FF once you land? One of the major things that stops me from travelling with the foonf is that I don't want to travel with the accessories (base, ARB). There's no base with the Fllo, is that's definitely easier.

martygras

Sorry, I mean BLVD as in Britax Boulevard! In my husband's car I have a Foonf/Adcocate and in my car right now it's a Blvd/Fllo. I am not wanting to take the CCO or Guide because we are going to the UK and dealing with a variety of cars, one of which I know for sure does not have latch/isofix or locking seat belts and I am not that confident with locking clips, especially since I find the CCO hard in general. I know I can do a good seat belt or latch install with the Fllo and Britax (sometimes with my CCO, I can't get it right with anything).

But my dilemma is bringing the Britax for the baby and having it very upright to fit RF. I would FF, but I think that is also going to be very upright for a 9 hr night flight. I love the CCO on planes because I can recline to 45 degrees.

Have you tried the blue locking clip with the CCO. That thing makes it soooooo easy to install the seat, just clip it on the seatbelt, pull the belt tight and slide the locking clip down to the seatbelt buckle. I've probably installed a CCO in 12 cars (including 3 in Japan) and only had a problem once, and that was with a SATURN Aura woth leather seats (I also had issues with a MySize in that car).

I love the cocorro for flying because you can install/remove the carseat from the plane without waking the baby up and it's so light and smooth on the bottom that you can carry the baby off the plane whole they are still in the seat. I've carried my son through customs and immigration in the seat three times... super handy when you don't get your stroller back at the gate.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC