Fixing the headrests on 2006 Grand Caravan

ginny4

The headrests are a mess. they don't stay up anymore. they just fall down & some can fall out super easy. basically useless. some of the plactic parts that help hold it have eother broken OR they came right out with the headrests. my kids need headrests in this van. right now its our EXTRA van but it is the newER van. i can manuever everything to make everyone fit but i want it to be versatile since we use it for all sorts of things & people. we transport some boy scouts to camp. all way too big for HBB.
is there a way to FIX it? thinking we need a dealer right? has anyone fixed theirs? how much are we talking?

ADS

Keeanh

Yep. Totally fixable. You might only have to replace the locking side sleeve. They're super easy to replace. I can walk you through it.

Go to a scrapyard and see if you can talk someone into letting you have the plastic sleeves out of a Caravan headed to the crusher. Or maybe someone will just sell them to you. I couldn't talk our local guy into letting me buy them because the benches are useless without them. Worst case, you have to buy the whole bench. So try to find a bench that no-one will want (busted, covered in glass, etc.) and try to bargain for it. I got a trashed bench for $40 & took the pieces I wanted off of it.

If you need the part #, I can have a look.

ginny4

oooo THANK YOU!!!

yeah the plastic sleeves are what i need!!
I could use installation instructions
how do you get the sleeves to stay in? a special glue or do they just stay in if they aren't actually broken?

i'm visiting a dealer today to get their point of view & price to see what they say.

ginny4

went to the dealer. the part was nice & cheap which is great. Install would be $150 for all 4 seats. WOAH. so it looks to be a $200 job. apparantly they have to take the seats out & covers off to get to it that's why its so much. they can't just slide in the new sleeves- it would never stay.

the headrests are very important so i guess its worth it. I'm happy they are finally gonna get fixed

Keeanh

You're not paying for an install are you??? It takes literally seconds to replace them. If the old ones are falling out, you don't even have to get your hands up inside the upholstery to get the old ones out. They're LYING to you about them not staying. They DO just slide in. I'll get you a pic.

Keeanh

Is this what your parts look like?

IMG_6962.JPG

Here's how they slide in & lock:

IMG_7282.JPG
IMG_7283.JPG

If you have to remove any old ones, you just need to figure out how your upholstery is on. The previous gen Caravans are super easy. The backs of the seats pop off. Yours might have zippers or clips in the seat bight. I've never played with the newer seats. Anyways, you only have to wiggle your arm up inside far enough to pinch the ends of the guide together so they'll slide out of the sleeves. Or tell your hubby to do it 'cause his arms are longer. Then he'll be the one to scuff up his hand ;).

ginny4

i only ordered the parts. it'll be a day or 2. i made no arrangements about install tho i did ask about it. i was hoping you would get back to me before the parts arrive to see if i can manage it myself.

1 out of 4 i'd have to dig up there to release it for sure.

thanks. i'll go look at the van in a bit to check out how i'd get in there.

ETA: I saw zippers!! looks easy enough. so when they call i'll tell them i'm just picking up the parts

Last edited:

Keeanh

:thumbsup:

Is the 1 that's still in broken at all? If it's okay, you could just leave it.

If you do go on a blind fishing expedition for the ends of the clip, you first want to determine what kind of frame is inside the seat. If it's just open with a few vertical wires, then it doesn't matter whether you reach inside or outside the seat frame. But if there's a metal panel or several horizontal bars, you want to go up the front of the frame between the metal and the foam. The headrest sleeves are welded on the front of the seat frame, not the back.

ETA: I find it funny that parts are cheap at dealerships in the US. Up in Canada, a tether anchor is $30+. Those headrest guides are $35 EACH. LMAO. No thanks.

ginny4

good to know about the frame & such.

the one that's still in- the adjuster part of the sleeve is broken off so the headrest just slides up & down without catching. that one is the center seat of the 3rd row. i'm actually wondering if i'll even bother trying. since the likelyhood of a kid there is SLIM. its only a lap belt.

i'll let you know when the sleeves come in as i may have more questions. i think mine (sleeve & seat frame) is a little different than what you have pictured. the metal to hold the sleeve is actually nearly up to the top of the seat.

ginny4

UGH UGH UGH.....what a freakin headache already....after 2 orders made from dealer it still is the wrong part. well it looks just like what you have pictured EXCEPT mine would never fit with those. i'll picture it later. he used the vin number of the van & still the wrong dang part. WTH? they better be making this part or i will scream. I'm so dissapointed. the parts guy was going to call chrysler & get back to me. he's using one of the broken sleeves i have for reference. its got numbers on it so hopefully we can track this down.
UGH UGH UGH....
one of the broken sleeves
2012-1090.jpg

& the seat trying to show the frame where the sleeve goes is close to the top of the seat. no extra fluff
2012-1092.jpg

2012-1093.jpg

Last edited:

Keeanh

UGH UGH UGH.....what a freakin headache already....after 2 orders made from dealer it still is the wrong part. well it looks just like what you have pictured EXCEPT mine would never fit with those. i'll picture it later. he used the vin number of the van & still the wrong dang part. WTH? they better be making this part or i will scream. I'm so dissapointed. the parts guy was going to call chrysler & get back to me. he's using one of the broken sleeves i have for reference. its got numbers on it so hopefully we can track this down.
UGH UGH UGH....

Ugh. Dealerships suck. There's always the scrapyard if you get desperate. Lots of Caravans there. I think I know which seats you have. The headrests overlap the front of the seats, right? They remind me of Star Wars Battle Droids :p.

150px-Battledroid.jpg

ginny4

Keeanh

You're welcome :D.

And now I see your pic of the broken guide. On the right of the pic, there's a rectangular hole in the side of the guide. I'm guessing there was a wedge-shaped tab of some sort there that was supposed to pop out and hold the guide in the metal tube. When you get the new parts, just double-check which side the locking guide is supposed to go on. They go in a whole lot easier than they come out so you want to get it right the first time ;).

ginny4

YIPPEE!! it was the right sleeves! 3 times the charm! the 2 that were completly broken & missing i inserted right away in the dealer parking lot. it didn't click into place but it doesn't budge when you move the headrest up & down. it will come out if you tug on it individually (even the ones that are perfectly fine). but when all put together there is no issue what so ever. the other 2 that will take some time but really at this point it is safe for my rapidly growing kids (& all their friends) to ride in our van.
****HAPPY DANCE****

ok so if anyone needs the part number for those headrest sleeves w/ stow n go. i have it!

another THANKS SO SUPER MUCH for all your help!! I :love: you!!! lol

Keeanh

YIPPEE!! it was the right sleeves! 3 times the charm! the 2 that were completly broken & missing i inserted right away in the dealer parking lot. it didn't click into place but it doesn't budge when you move the headrest up & down. it will come out if you tug on it individually (even the ones that are perfectly fine). but when all put together there is no issue what so ever. the other 2 that will take some time but really at this point it is safe for my rapidly growing kids (& all their friends) to ride in our van.
****HAPPY DANCE****

ok so if anyone needs the part number for those headrest sleeves w/ stow n go. i have it!

:D:D YAY! Glad it all worked out for you!

melrose7

****HAPPY DANCE****

I have the same problem on my bucket seats in my van do you still have that part number? Taking a chance since this thread is old but need my headrests back.

Keeanh

I have the same problem on my bucket seats in my van do you still have that part number? Taking a chance since this thread is old but need my headrests back.

I messaged her, just in case she doesn't see the thread bump. Do you have stow-n-go? What year is your van?

ginny4

I messaged her, just in case she doesn't see the thread bump. Do you have stow-n-go? What year is your van?

thanks for the private message. I may not have seen it.....i got the number! stow n go & a 2006!! part # 1-1AL821D5AA
:dance:

Good Luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC