Fitting 3 car seats in a 2006 Durango

2006DurangoSLT

Hey everyone!

So I'm at a bit of a dilemma. We have a 2006 Durango and I am trying to figure out how to safely transport our 3 kids. Oldest boy is 4.5(35lbs) and is currently in a Britax Pioneer harness to booster, daughter in the middle is a little over 2, and youngest boy is 7 months in a Britax B-safe infant car seat. Daughter currently does not have a car seat. She was in the Britax B-safe and we would take either her or the baby depending on which spouse went out. She has outgrown that and we have been stumped about which car seats to purchase/get rid of to work with this vehicle. 3rd row has no tether anchors and I believe Britax recommends tt's for all of their car seat installs. Because of this we likely need a 3 across install in the middle row. I purchased an Evenflo Tribute LX hoping it would work for my daughter but I could not get the 3 seats to work. I struggled the most with getting a center seat install in the middle row. The seat belt was causing the car seat to twist.

The 3rd row also has a very short seat base so I'm unsure if there's a seat out there that would install safely that wouldn't require a tt anchor?

I've actually contemplated getting a 3rd row seat out of a 2007+ Durango as they came with a center tt anchor but would also like the idea of having the 3rd row down to carry groceries, double stroller, etc.

I'm looking for the most cost effective solution as well as safety being a top priority. Anyone have any recommendations? I've searched the entire forum and have not found anything very conclusive. I appreciate any help thank you!

Last edited:
ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Hello and welcome,

I don't have specific suggestions for your vehicle, as this is often trial and error. I can refer you to some general suggestions here: https://carseatblog.com/49714/3across/

Your oldest definitely needs a top-tether anchor for his forward-facing harness seat. He is old enough at 5.5 years to where he might begin to use a high back booster rated for 30 or 33 pound minimum weight limits if he is mature enough to stay seated correctly in a seatbelt for a whole trip.

Rear-facing only infant seats and rear-facing convertibles do not require a top tether. This might allow you to put one of your younger rear-facing children in the third row if there is enough room. Britax used to allow a tether to be used rear-facing on some of their convertible seats as an option, but they no longer allow this on newer models.

Your 7-month old should certainly remain rear-facing for some time, either in a rear-facing only infant seat or a rear-facing convertible. Your daughter is also safest in a rear-facing convertible, however, at over 2 years old, she could also use a forward-facing harness car seat if she is above the minimum weight limit for that seat. If she is forward-facing, she would need a top-tether position as well.

Darren

Hey everyone!

So I'm at a bit of a dilemma. We have a 2006 Durango and I am trying to figure out how to safely transport our 3 kids. Oldest boy is 5.5(35lbs) and is currently in a Britax Pioneer harness to booster, daughter in the middle is a little over 2, and youngest boy is 7 months in a Britax B-safe infant car seat. Daughter currently does not have a car seat. She was in the Britax B-safe and we would take either her or the baby depending on which spouse went out. She has outgrown that and we have been stumped about which car seats to purchase/get rid of to work with this vehicle. 3rd row has no tether anchors and I believe Britax recommends tt's for all of their car seat installs. Because of this we likely need a 3 across install in the middle row. I purchased an Evenflo Tribute LX hoping it would work for my daughter but I could not get the 3 seats to work. I struggled the most with getting a center seat install in the middle row. The seat belt was causing the car seat to twist.

The 3rd row also has a very short seat base so I'm unsure if there's a seat out there that would install safely that wouldn't require a tt anchor?

I've actually contemplated getting a 3rd row seat out of a 2007+ Durango as they came with a center tt anchor but would also like the idea of having the 3rd row down to carry groceries, double stroller, etc.

I'm looking for the most cost effective solution as well as safety being a top priority. Anyone have any recommendations? I've searched the entire forum and have not found anything very conclusive. I appreciate any help thank you!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TMLP

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Maxi Cosi is a proud sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2020 Carseat Media LLC