Fitting 3 across a Honda CR-V

U

Unregistered

My 6-year-old is currently in a Graco Turbobooster and my 3-year-old is riding forward facing in a Britax Marathon in the back of my 2007 Honda CR-V. We're expecting our third baby in September. Will it be possible to add a Graco Snugride Infant carseat into the mix back there reasonably?

I called Honda directly about this, and they said they recommend the use of 2 Child Safety seats, but not necessarily 3 in the CR-V. (The LATCH system can only be used for 2 of the 3 seats, so, I suppose I would have to use the belts to secure the seats/boostered kid). Honda recommended that I contact the car seat manufacturers to discuss my question but I have doubts about whether or not someone at Britax would be able to tell me if the marathon would fit with two Graco seats.

I contacted my local seat check location and they said to purchase the Snugride, keep all the receipts/boxes, and bring everything to them to see what will fit.

Before I do that, I was just curious if anyone had any experience with this.

ADS

Alison's Mom

We have an 07 CRV as well, and while I have done 3 across, don't have experience with your particular seats. I know the TB is one of the narrowest boosters out there, so you have that going for you. I don't know how narrow the MA is, though. When I did 3 across, it was with two Radians (centre RFing, passger side FFing) and an Eddie Bauer 3in 1 (driver side FFing), all with seat belt also because that way, you can scoot the outboard seats closer to the doors.

Right now with two RNs FFing on either side, there is just enough room for me to squeeze in between when necessary. When I put our TF to replace one of the RNs, it definitely made it so no other car seat would be able to fit in between.

Is there a TRU near you so you could take the display model of the snug ride to try before buying? If that doesn't work, perhaps replacing the MA with a RN or another narrow seat (Maestro, complete air) might allow you to use the snug ride?

U

Unregistered

Thanks so much for your response. I think I'll have to just experiment with different seats and configurations. I think even with the slimmest seats, it might be a real pain, though. Maybe it is time for us to consider a slightly wider vehicle.

BeautifulChaos

I don't have experience with that car personally, but I have heard that the MA puzzles pretty well with some seats because of how high up it is on the base. Have you checked the "successful 3 across" thread to see if anyone there has the same car as you?

kestrel

we have a 2004 crv with Decathlon (supposed to be similar size to the Marathon) FF in the center, and Graco nautilus passenger side. I can barely fit a Turbobooster on the driver side, mainly because the Decathlon sits very high, and the booster is very low.
It's a very tight fit, and hard to buckle the booster (also the Decathlon does not puzzle well with the Nautilus, so these 2 take lots of room)
I suppose if I had a Radian in the center, there would be a lot more space next to it for a booster.

WatsonFam5

I recently had to fit 3 across our 2005 CR-V. We have two kiddos in car seats currently and baby #3 will be here in five weeks!

Here is our configuration starting on the passenger side and going to the driver side:

Britax Roundabout FF, LATCH
Graco Snugride (the original 22 lb one) RF, belt (we did it with LATCH, too, but I too have heard you're not supposed to use latch for three in a CR-V)
Sunshine Kids Radian FF, LATCH

It took me no more than about ten minutes to get them all installed. They don't budge an inch. :)

Stelvis

I recently had to fit 3 across our 2005 CR-V. We have two kiddos in car seats currently and baby #3 will be here in five weeks!

Here is our configuration starting on the passenger side and going to the driver side:

Britax Roundabout FF, LATCH
Graco Snugride (the original 22 lb one) RF, belt (we did it with LATCH, too, but I too have heard you're not supposed to use latch for three in a CR-V)
Sunshine Kids Radian FF, LATCH

It took me no more than about ten minutes to get them all installed. They don't budge an inch. :)

The CRV only has 5 LATCH hooks so you can't install 3 seats with LATCH in it at the same time because then two of your seats are sharing the same hook. You could do LATCH behind driver, then seatbelt, then LATCH again, or seatbelt behind driver, and LATCH in the middle, and seatbelt again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC