FF RN or RF Scenera on plane

mommy2jasmine

I'm flying tomorrow, and have been trying to figure this out, but I'm stumped and need some help.

So, here's the dealio. I'm flying alone tomorrow, with my 2 year old. I have a Radian XT and a Scenera. Which do I bring on the plane. As you can see in my siggy my daughter is almost 28 months (on the 3rd). She weighs roughly 28 lbs, and is right around 33ish inches. I'm HUGE on keeping her RF as long as possible, and with no exceptions except when absolutely necessary. A plane seems like a pretty necessary time to be having her RF, but I will not be getting lucky and sitting in the front seats that don't have seats in front of them (handicap seats?)...So, what do I do? What would you do?

Here's what I've figured out so far

1. I FF her on the plane in the Radian, simple as that.

• I RF her on the plane in the Scenera, but by doing this I check the Radian (not gate check, though. Like CHECK it. I called and they won't let me bring the seat to the gate to check it there)

My problem with checking the Radian is that it has the wings. Do you think since the Radian is so sturdy, and everything, it would be fine. I would worry about cracks in other seats, like the Scenera. That thing would just crumble under baggage. Or any other seat that doesn't fold. I don't think I'm so worried about it cracking, as I am about the wings, since they stick up. Do you think it would be safe? I don't have the carrying bag, but I have a suitcase I could put it in.

Alright, I think that's it. What do you guys think?

ADS

Jan06twinmom

Could you take the scenera and use it rear-facing on the airplane and in the car? I would leave the Radian at home. If you need pool noodles to install the scenera, you can pack a couple of those in a bag. We actually stuck our pool noodles in a large duffle bag with our double stroller.

Melanie

mommy2jasmine

I could, and I've considered it. There's another thing, though, that I forgot to add. I will be going to Tillamook, and that's where I'll be staying most of the time, but on Thursday I'm going to be staying in Portland (about 75 miles away) for the weekend. Jasmine will be staying with my mom Thursday, but Friday she'll be going to my dad's to stay with him, and I would love to install one car seat in his car, and have the other one installed in my moms, so that I don't have to worry about them switching it over. I can trust both of them to want to do it right, but not actually get it, you know?

I guess I'll be needing to bring both car seats then. I didn't realize that, haha.

In that case I'll just RF the Scenera on the plane, but should I worry about the Radian being checked? Do you think the seat is liable to sustain any damage under there, folded up of course?

NannyMom

I always advise against checking a seat. Too much possibility for it to be damaged. Do you still have the Radian's box? I've heard some (or 1?) airlines will only be responsible for damages if it's in the original box.

mommy2jasmine

No, of course. I kept it for the first week, but then thought I'd never need it again. Hrrrmmmm :confused:

I always advise against checking a seat. Too much possibility for it to be damaged. Do you still have the Radian's box? I've heard some (or 1?) airlines will only be responsible for damages if it's in the original box.

Northriver

I would not check or gate check a carseat. I've had two strollers completely mangled when gate checked. At least with a stroller you can see the damage, with a carseat you don't know what has happened to it and the damage might be invisible. If I had to check a seat I'd probably check a Scenera but I'd never completely trust that it was safe after it had been checked.

Do your parents need two carseats? Could they switch cars if necessary? Is there someone out there you could borrow a car seat from?

American reserves the bulkhead for last minute seat assignments so if you ever fly iwth them, just ask to be moved there. I hate sitting there because they won't even let you have a purse during take off/landing, everything must be stowed overhead. They always tell you they'll "give it right back" but they never remember and it isn't any fun flying with a toddler an not having anything, drinks, snacks, toys, etc, the whole time you are waiting for take off.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
At 2 I really wouldn't hesitate to turn her FF on the plane. It's an entirely different situation, safety-wise. If it makes your life easier, I'd just FF her on the plane, RF her in the car. That's what I plan to do with my kids when we travel this fall, probably. :) I think 2 is my cutoff where I would do that. I've never found my kids to worry about going back and forth between FF and RF, though.

Or, RF on the plane and in the car in the Scenera and don't take the Radian. That works, too. Not really a big deal, just bring some pool noodle (I've found I can fit 2 nicely in the travel bag the Scenera comes with, nestled right on top of the seat.)

If I really needed 2 seats at my destination I'd buy/have my parents buy one there. My parents would be happy to shell out for a Scenera (or even a clearanced Avenue from Sears, which would last longer!) and that way I wouldn't have to check a seat, which is something I avoid at almost any cost.

mommy2jasmine

Oh yikes. That is scary. I've never heard of anything that bad, but that definitely worries me more then.

My parents aren't together, so that's the problem. She'll be staying with my mom at my mom's house, then going to my dad's house. Switching cars is highly unlikely, lol. No one I know that I could borrow from, since they only have 1 seat per kid :/

I'll have to remember that for next time, about American. I really like Southwest, so I usually fly them, but for the convenience of getting that seating I may just switch to them from now on so I can RF the Radian.

I'd much rather take the Radian...would it be ok to FF it on the plane? I mean, I know it's possible, and the likelihood of crashing is minimal, but safety wise? I know that the Scenera is probably my easiest choice, but convenience doesn't bother me. I know the cars she will be going in, and they are compatible with the Radian. Looks like the pro of bringing just the Scenera, then, is that I can RF on the plane.

It looks like everyone is in agreement that I shouldn't check, and that's ok. I won't bring 2. I'll just give my parents a class on installing the seat, and trust that they'll get it right. I know if they have any questions they will call and figure it out. I just like to do things myself.

Ummm...So I guess my only question, now, is if I should be that worried about her FF on the plane?

I would not check or gate check a carseat. I've had two strollers completely mangled when gate checked. At least with a stroller you can see the damage, with a carseat you don't know what has happened to it and the damage might be invisible. If I had to check a seat I'd probably check a Scenera but I'd never completely trust that it was safe after it had been checked.

Do your parents need two carseats? Could they switch cars if necessary? Is there someone out there you could borrow a car seat from?

American reserves the bulkhead for last minute seat assignments so if you ever fly iwth them, just ask to be moved there. I hate sitting there because they won't even let you have a purse during take off/landing, everything must be stowed overhead. They always tell you they'll "give it right back" but they never remember and it isn't any fun flying with a toddler an not having anything, drinks, snacks, toys, etc, the whole time you are waiting for take off.

mommy2jasmine

Thank you. I really don't want to bring the Scenera if I don't have to. I'd love to RF on the plane, but if you think it's ok to FF her on the plane, then that makes me feel better.

I want the Radian for the trip because of the wings, the tether, and of course, because I love it so much and I'm dying to show everyone back home :whistle:

I could probably even manage to buy a Scenera up there if I really find that it's necessary, but I figured IF I could bring them both, that would be easiest.

I see now, though, that checking really isn't a good option. If no one thinks that FF on the plane is bad, then I'll just go that route.

You guys are so helpful. I'm a little relieved I won't be bringing both. Thanks.

At 2 I really wouldn't hesitate to turn her FF on the plane. It's an entirely different situation, safety-wise. If it makes your life easier, I'd just FF her on the plane, RF her in the car. That's what I plan to do with my kids when we travel this fall, probably. :) I think 2 is my cutoff where I would do that. I've never found my kids to worry about going back and forth between FF and RF, though.

Or, RF on the plane and in the car in the Scenera and don't take the Radian. That works, too. Not really a big deal, just bring some pool noodle (I've found I can fit 2 nicely in the travel bag the Scenera comes with, nestled right on top of the seat.)

If I really needed 2 seats at my destination I'd buy/have my parents buy one there. My parents would be happy to shell out for a Scenera (or even a clearanced Avenue from Sears, which would last longer!) and that way I wouldn't have to check a seat, which is something I avoid at almost any cost.

Northriver

I'm not a tech, but I've read that the dynamics are completely different in a plane crash. Hopefully someon will chime in with details. I can say that tt is easier to RF a toddler on the plane becasue they can't kick the person in front of them, LOL! From a safely standpoint, you have no way of knowing what might happen. One of the most common injuries for children on planes is that they become airborne because of turbulance, so having them strapped into a 5 pt harness either FF or RF goes a long way to keeping them safe.

Personally, I'd probably take the Radian. I love traveling with my Radian! I haven't flow with a Scenera, but compared to the Britax seats, the Radian is a dream, easy to transport and especially easy to get down the aisle of the plane because it folds, and super easy to install FF on the plane (I haven't used it RF), and easy to UNINSTALLtoo, I've gotten a FF Marathon stuck on the plane before, lol.

I'd also ask the grandparents to consider switching cars. It is in the best interest of their grandbaby - I'd be surprised if they weren't willing to at least consider it. :)

Have a great trip! You'll be fine whatever you decide!

mommy2jasmine

Thanks for the input. I'm glad to hear that the Radian is easy to install and travel with. I hear a lot of bad things about it, since it is a pretty tricky seat, but so far I'm in love, and I loved our Britax, haha!

Looks like I'll def. be taking the Radian only then. Thanks SO SO much everyone. I think this is what I was going to do anyway, but it's good to know that I have support from people who are in the "know" about this stuff.

As far as the g-parents switching cars, it's not gonna happen. I'll just make sure and show my dad exactly how it goes in. He has installed a Marathon before, on his own, and had it ready for me when I arrived (he borrowed this from a friend, but we don't have access to it this time), so I know he can install seats. The instructions are right there, he knows all the rules, and I can trust him to replicate the install. I just get antsy when someone other than myself installs seats.

I'm not a tech, but I've read that the dynamics are completely different in a plane crash. Hopefully someon will chime in with details. I can say that tt is easier to RF a toddler on the plane becasue they can't kick the person in front of them, LOL! From a safely standpoint, you have no way of knowing what might happen. One of the most common injuries for children on planes is that they become airborne because of turbulance, so having them strapped into a 5 pt harness either FF or RF goes a long way to keeping them safe.

Personally, I'd probably take the Radian. I love traveling with my Radian! I haven't flow with a Scenera, but compared to the Britax seats, the Radian is a dream, easy to transport and especially easy to get down the aisle of the plane because it folds, and super easy to install FF on the plane (I haven't used it RF), and easy to UNINSTALLtoo, I've gotten a FF Marathon stuck on the plane before, lol.

I'd also ask the grandparents to consider switching cars. It is in the best interest of their grandbaby - I'd be surprised if they weren't willing to at least consider it. :)

Have a great trip! You'll be fine whatever you decide!

Andie

No one I know that I could borrow from, since they only have 1 seat per kid :/

I replied at Cafemom, but I'll reply here as well. I have 3 seats for CJ at the moment (got lucky and won a Complete Air). I only use 2 full time. You could borrow my Scenera or Uptown.

LuvMyCharlie

I think you're making the right decision by taking the Radian. I'll be in your shoes come November. ;) I have no qualms with my 2 year old FF on a plane. I'll just pack the RF boot in my luggage so that I have it at my destination. As far as your parents installing the Radian, it really shouldn't give them much of a problem RF. Just make sure you go over it with them and that they're comfortable!

mommy2jasmine

Oh my gosh, I totally forgot about the boot. I guess I'll be throwing that in my my purse, I didn't save any room for it. LOL.

I think you're making the right decision by taking the Radian. I'll be in your shoes come November. ;) I have no qualms with my 2 year old FF on a plane. I'll just pack the RF boot in my luggage so that I have it at my destination. As far as your parents installing the Radian, it really shouldn't give them much of a problem RF. Just make sure you go over it with them and that they're comfortable!

I replied on Cafemom, but I didn't know you won a CA!? That's so cool!

I replied at Cafemom, but I'll reply here as well. I have 3 seats for CJ at the moment (got lucky and won a Complete Air). I only use 2 full time. You could borrow my Scenera or Uptown.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC