EZ-on vest w/child who unbuckles seatbelt

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Is the EZ-on vest something that would work with a child who unbuckles the seatbelt? Child is too old/big for any harnesses available up here.

My hope is that something like a buckle guard might be all it takes, but I don't have any hands-on experience with the vest so was hoping for some information from someone who does.

If a buckle guard is a good option, what is the best style of one to go with for a child who has low comprehension of consequences but good gross motor skills?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't know which one you're talking about/which ones are available up there.

EZ-On makes a full line of vests/harnesses, for car and bus use. I know at least one of them is approved by prescription only in Canada (or was before the 2012 stuff... I'm not sure if it's still available after all the talk about there now being no approved SN seats.)

They make one type of anchorage that is permanently installed in a vehicle and is used in place of the seatbelt; it can be used with a back-zip vest. This is what is used for kids who get out of ANY other restraint. Again, don't know if you can get it up there, but that would be appropriate for a persistant unbuckler who was neurologically incapable of learning not to unbuckle and needed to be physically prevented (autism, usually.)

snowbird25ca

I don't know which one you're talking about/which ones are available up there.

EZ-On makes a full line of vests/harnesses, for car and bus use. I know at least one of them is approved by prescription only in Canada (or was before the 2012 stuff... I'm not sure if it's still available after all the talk about there now being no approved SN seats.)

They make one type of anchorage that is permanently installed in a vehicle and is used in place of the seatbelt; it can be used with a back-zip vest. This is what is used for kids who get out of ANY other restraint. Again, don't know if you can get it up there, but that would be appropriate for a persistant unbuckler who was neurologically incapable of learning not to unbuckle and needed to be physically prevented (autism, usually.)

Can you link specifically to the model you're thinking of? Thanks KQ. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'll look and see if there's a direct link, otherwise I'll give you the catalog and a model number. Let me get the groceries put away and get on the actual computer. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Heh, thanks, I just got the links and was about to post them. :)

Of note, the floor mount is only suitable for certain captains' chairs and benches in vans (or a few SUVs, I believe) with access to the floor for drilling. You can't use it in a sedan.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Heh, thanks, I just got the links and was about to post them. :)

Of note, the floor mount is only suitable for certain captains' chairs and benches in vans (or a few SUVs, I believe) with access to the floor for drilling. You can't use it in a sedan.

There are some sedan styles that can access the floor under the seat. Not a lot, but there are some. Mostly they were lap-belt era Caddies.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I know there are some station wagons it will work in. You have to be able to access the floor and back of the seat, and through the bight (as I recall.)

snowbird25ca

This particular vehicle would be suitable for that based on my understanding.

Thank you for everyone's help. I've got the answers I needed. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC