extremely short teens

flybear

My entire family is short ... my grandma being just 4 ft 9 - my daughter is charted to end up in the same vicinity ... meaning- on paper- she will never outgrow the need for a booster ... however ... there is no way I will make my daughter sit in a carseat when she is a teen ... we carpool and use pick up lanes - and while she hasn't complained through elementary ... now in middle school ... she gets some comments.
We are considering using a seat cushion that gets her high enough to fit the regular seat - similar to what truckers use ( or short people like myself ) ... her skeleton is just as mature as any other teen and this will obviously be a life long issue ... fitting in carseats ... learning to drive herself ...
Anyone here who faced the same issues ... when did you ditch the booster and what did you use instead?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If she's mature enough to wear the belt properly even if the shoulder belt bothers her rubbing her neck, that's not a real concern. However, if she doesn't fit the lap belt with it below the top of the hips, that's a real issue, even with more developed hip structure. If that's the case you may need to look at vehicle adaptive equipment.

aporthole

I would personally have my child use something like a Graco RightGuide as long as they had not exceeded the maximums. I’d much rather use a tested low-profile booster compared to an untested seat cushion. Although not a realistic solution for many families, careful consideration of vehicles would be optimal. There can be such a huge range in belt fit in different vehicles and different seating positions within the same vehicle. The same can be said for the adjustability of driver’s seats. Things like telescoping pedals/steering wheels, height adjustable shoulder belt anchor points, low/short buckle placement, etc can all make such a huge difference in belt fit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC