Eddie Bauer leather edition car seats

rock0

Hey folks, here is a question that I can't seem to find many answers on. I got a leather edition Eddie Bauer car seat from a friend for when it's needed for babysitting. Not expired! Who here has used one of these seats? Did you like it? Does in function well as a booster after the harness is outgrown?

Last edited:
ADS

Jan06twinmom

Welcome to car-seat.org. I'll try to answer a few questions and I also have a few questions for you.

It's great that you already checked the expiration date. I would recommend looking at the Used Car Seat Checklist... http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/usedseat.aspx. It's a good way to make sure that the seat you are using is safe. It also includes a link to the recalled seats, which is also a good thing to check.

How old and how big is the child that will be using the seat? Will you be using the seat in the rear-facing or forward-facing position at this time? How to install the seat will depend on the age/size of the child and on whether it is installed forward or rear-facing.

Do you have the manual for the car seat? Some of your questions can be answered using the seat. One of the things you will want to check in the manual - and it might also be on the seat itself - is what the weight range is for the harness in the rear-facing and forward-facing. Many of these seats have a 40lb limit on using the harness, but some have a 50lb limit.

In general, the Eddie Bauer seats are good for babies and toddlers that can use the seat in the rear-facing position. It is an okay seat in the forward position, but it is often outgrown early in harness mode by children when they are 3 or 4 years old. Since these children are not mature or big enough to use a booster seat, you have to buy a separate booster seat. Many of these seats do not fit children well in booster mode, so I would recommend only using it as a harness seat.

I'm sure we can answer more specific questions once we know more about the child who will be using the seat.

Stelvis

Welcome!

I agree with all of the above, but wanted to really emphasize that it should NOT be used as a belt positioning booster once the harness is outgrown. That model of seat is on the IIHS "not recommended" list of bad boosters because there is almost no child on whom it positions the seatbelt properly. Thankfully, for children who are old enough (over 40 lbs, age 5-6, able to properly sit still the entire ride), there are lots of affordable boosters out there.

If we know more about the child in question, we will be happy to help!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It appears that the chest clip is missing (unless it's down on the harness behind the buckle?), in which case you especially want to call Dorel (the manufacturer of the seat) to request a new one, a new manual, and make sure there are no recalls http://eddiebauer.djgusa.com/

rock0

Thank you all for the replies. To answer some of the specifics, the two kids are 4 and 5 yrs. I don't have specifics on height and weight (I'm just the babysitter after all lol) but they are both average for their age. They certainly haven't reached the 50lb limit. 5 year old Gracie will turn 6 next month, so I may contemplate a different seat for her. I still can't find much out about these seats, they don't seem to have been very popular. I was hoping to find some install/fit pics as I don't have a manual, but none to be found. Any other advice it always welcomed!

monica-m

CPST Instructor
For forward facing, the harness straps need to be coming from at or above the child's shoulders. The highest setting for the harness on that seat is pretty short, so it's likely they have already outgrown it by height. Most kids outgrow seats by height before they reach the weight limit.

nannykates

I'm also a babysitter so absolutely understand having to guess on size! However most kids their age won't fit in this seat by height anymore :(. We can make some suggestions for affordable seats that will fit them though!

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Welcome! :) You received some great info so far but I just wanted to add that you should double check the date that the seat was made because I'm pretty sure those EB leather seats were discontinued a long time ago. One of the sticker labels should list the date of manufacture - if it was made before 2007 then it's expired.

featherhead

Welcome! :) You received some great info so far but I just wanted to add that you should double check the date that the seat was made because I'm pretty sure those EB leather seats were discontinued a long time ago. One of the sticker labels should list the date of manufacture - if it was made before 2007 then it's expired.

Aren't the Alpha Omega seats usually 8 year expiry?

jess71903

Ambassador
You can look for info on that seat by searching for Alpha Omega Elite (AOE) and 3-in-1. It is made by Dorel, but has been branded Cosco, Safety 1st and Eddie Bauer. Are you sure it's a 50lb weight limit? If so, it may not be as short as some are thinking. If your particular seat has labeling that says it has a 50lb limit, then the design was changed and it may have decently tall top slots, and MAY fit the kids in question, although I would doubt it for the almost-6 year old. The 40lb versions could not be used on the top headrest position because it wasn't reinforced. When they upped the weight limit, they also reinforced that top position so it could be used with the harness.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC