Dumb Question How far away from air bag

mburks26

I am trying to decide if we should keep my 95 civic 2 door or not when the newbie arrives the infant seat on board 35 fits with the base and the recline foot down at the right angel but I do have to move my seat really far up. Its is in the up most position and I am exactly arms length away from the air bag I can reach out my arms and my middle finger touches the dash so is that far enough away or am I sol and need to not use the car. My husband has to drive and my dd who is 6 and booster must go behind him. Middle is not an options as both seats would have to be that far forward as well and the booster wont fit next to the infant seat.
I tried without the base and its just a pain in the butt to do since I would have to use a rolled towel and locking clip every time so I can get an extra base and leave it in .

I plan on getting a Truefit for the convertible due to the lock offs and other reasons so does anyone think it would fit the same or less room front to back when installing at the 35 angel for older babies then the on board 35 infant seat at the full 45 angel

ADS

luckyclov

Airbags typically deploy about 10" out (from the steering wheel or dash). So, ideally, you'd want to keep your chest (or head, if you're short) 11" or more, if possible, from the point of deployment. That's about the full length of a standard size piece of printer paper.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I asked a similar question and was told both driver and pass should sit at least 10" from steering wheel, that the pass side actually comes further from the dash. There was a great pic posted, let me see if I can find it.

Arms length sounds like plenty of distance to me, though - and congrats on the newb! :)

EmmaGrace'sMom

I think the truefit will save you some space, both with and without the headrest. Without the headrest it takes up about the same amount of space as the CCO, probably very close to the amount of space the OB35 takes without the base. You might think about skipping the infant seat all together if the TF takes up less space. BRU carries it under the Lamaze brand if you have one close by.

mburks26

I thought about using the Truefit from day one but its gonna be a sept baby and we have 3 different cars to use and buying 3 seats now was just not in the cards I thought it be best to go with the infant seat through the winter months at least.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC