"Don't leave babies in seat more than necessary" Sources?

soygurl

Does anyone have any sources on why you shouldn't leave babies in the infant seat any more than necessary when outside of a vehicle? I know there can be a risk of head deformation, and the angle can be tough for very young infants. Plus the fall risk if the seat is on a high surface, and strangulation if the straps are loose or unbuckled. Is there anything else? Any nice links detailing it all?

I'm not talking about taking a sleeping baby out of the car and letting them keep sleeping, or sitting baby it the car seat while eating in a restaurant... more like the excessive use (baby in the seat more than out of it) that we sometimes see. :rolleyes:

ETA: I know there are times when a baby will ONLY sleep in the car seat (reflux, etc.), and other situations which make for a good exception to this rule... Please don't think I'm flaming or attacking anyone for their specific situation and needs!

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Does anyone have any sources on why you shouldn't leave babies in the infant seat any more than necessary when outside of a vehicle? I know there can be a risk of head deformation, and the angle can be tough for very young infants. Plus the fall risk if the seat is on a high surface, and strangulation if the straps are loose or unbuckled. Is there anything else? Any nice links detailing it all?

I'm not talking about taking a sleeping baby out of the car and letting them keep sleeping, or sitting baby it the car seat while eating in a restaurant... more like the excessive use (baby in the seat more than out of it) that we sometimes see. :rolleyes:

ETA: I know there are times when a baby will ONLY sleep in the car seat (reflux, etc.), and other situations which make for a good exception to this rule... Please don't think I'm flaming or attacking anyone for their specific situation and needs!

This article published in the journal Pediatrics investigated oxygen levels and concluded that "In healthy term newborns, significant desaturations were observed in both car beds and car seats as compared with hospital cribs. This study was limited by lack of documentation of sleep stage. Therefore, these safety devices should only be used for protection during travel and not as replacements for cribs."

thtr4me

Exactly what Bree quotes above. Here is a more user-friendly article on the same subject. Links to references at the bottom of the article. M'Liss Stelzer, RN was instrumental in making the babywearing world aware of positional asphyxia in carseats and other baby 'containers'. Her initial work was done on the Slingrider infant carriers that were recalled due to several deaths of babies in them. I had the honor of seeing M'Liss' presentation at the 2010 Babywearing Conference, and it was eye-opening and shocking.

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/carseats.php

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If you need anything on positional plagiocephaly, my mom could probably dig up a few. She has also mentioned developmental delays of babies in ”devices” all the time to me more than once but again I'd have to go to her for sources. The desat risk is the most critical, to me. It's why I have been taught that all babies should be removed from the seat after two hours max for a ten to fifteen minute break on long trips, too.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
If you can access it, this incident really drives this all home. I will say upfront that baby is okay, but there are some triggering things discussed in the posts on this thread:

http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/showthread.php?509384-Stopped-breathing-in-a-carseat

Do you know if she ever told the story here?

I wonder if the new insert in the Peg infant seat is anything like the insert in the convertible...TechnoBaby was 11 months I think when we got the seat and the instructions said she had to use the insert as she was under 22# (this restriction has since been removed but the manuals aren't yet updated until March Peg told me). The insert pushed her hips forward and jammed her into the buckle. I can imagine that this could be poor positioning for a newborn.

thtr4me

Do you know if she ever told the story here?

I wonder if the new insert in the Peg infant seat is anything like the insert in the convertible...TechnoBaby was 11 months I think when we got the seat and the instructions said she had to use the insert as she was under 22# (this restriction has since been removed but the manuals aren't yet updated until March Peg told me). The insert pushed her hips forward and jammed her into the buckle. I can imagine that this could be poor positioning for a newborn.

I am not sure if she shared here.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC