Dog vehicle safety info

rodentranger

I work in a pet supply/food store and we carry a few options for dog seatbelts. I try to steer people toward the PetBuckle over the cheesy plastic clip ones for big dogs, but I need more info/stats.
I've been able to find info at the PetBuckle and Roadie websites and petsafetybelt.com about the false security a plastic crate gives.
Can anyone tell me the math formula for figuring out what the ____ lb dog will weigh when you're in a ____ mph collision?

ADS

Pixels

It's not 100% accurate, but multiplying the two numbers gives a reasonable estimate. So a 100 pound dog in a 30 mph accident is approximately 3000 pounds. A 5 pound dog in a 25 mph accident is 125 pounds.

Last edited:

rodentranger

Thanks Melissa. Do you know if there's anywhere I can find some good info to try and help people justify the pricetag?
I've read about the German study that showed that a plastic crate is likely to break, and obviously the dog will be a projectile...
I'm going to make signage with a Did You Know... kind of idea for the seatbelt display.

Cryssy Jane

This is good information. I know I need something for my doggies. They have little seat belt ends that go into the seat belt like you were buckling on their leashes, but I need to get them something else because... ummm 70lbs in a 30 mph crash... yeah that's 2100 lbs of force, not exactly something I'd want squishing me.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
There was a crash out by my house. They didn't have to dog restrained. The dog spooked and ran off, still has not been found. :(

rodentranger

I was just talking to someone the other day who was rearended at 45 mph with her dog in her cargo area unrestrained. The dog was fine, but slammed into her seatback and further messed up her back. A sixty pound dog lobbed into the thing supporting your spine is not good.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Not only is the dog a projectile, but an unrestrained dog is a hazard for rescue personnel as well. A cop I know was telling me that he had had to shoot a dog that jumped out and attacked the EMS people that were trying to help the driver.

beeman

F=ma . IOW, force (N) = mass (Kg) x acceleration (meters per second squared [m/ss]).

Lets use a 50kg (110lb) dog in a 30mph crash that takes 3 seconds to stop.
Then the vehicle will accelerate at 4.4 m/ss.
If the dog is restrained with no slack against the barrier, it will exert 220N on the barrier.

Now lets assume that the vehicle come to a complete stop before the dog hits the barrier, and that it takes 1/4 of a second to stop the dog. The dog will then exert 2660N on the barrier when it hits. If the dog hits a person, that is the equivalent of having a 271Kg (597lb) dog sitting on you. If it takes 1/8 of second to stop the dog the previous forces and weights double. At highway speed, 110km/h (68.75mph), assuming the vehicle comes to a complete stop before the dog hits (and dog takes 1/4 of a second to stop) it will exert 6111N, or the equivalent of a 623.6Kg (1371.9lb) dog sitting on you.

Maedze

It's not 100% accurate, but multiplying the two numbers gives a reasonable estimate. So a 100 pound dog in a 30 mpg accident is approximately 300 pounds. A 5 pound dog in a 25 mph accident is 125 pounds.

Notwithstanding the beeman's excellent post, you're missing a zero in your first equation :p

LovingMomma

I have a Fido Rido dog car seat for my dog and I love it and so does she. She is restrained and can ride comfortably in her seat. When we go out with her (at least 5 times a week) we just tell her to get in her seat and she happily gets right in. This is only an option for dogs under 30pds though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC