Does this vehicle exist?

LittlePeanut

I am helping a family look for a vehicle that will hold a family of 6, that is not a minivan, is good on gas, has a minimum of 2 tether locations, does not require the older children to climb over car seats or cargo, has some cargo area, and does not cost an arm and a leg.

Used is fine, as is new, if it fits the budget.

Details:
2 adults
small 12 year old
boostered 7 year old
FF harnessed 3 year old
infant

Any ideas?

I checked out the RAV4 today and it's an atrocious vehicle. I don't know how they can get away with calling it a 7 seater. I guess if you don't wear seat belts it might work :thumbsdown:

ADS

Adorkable

yeah i was goign to say a Flex with 2nd row captain chairs and no center console, that way the kids in the back row can walk back there in between the center seats. i have one and love it to the end of the earth, sooo much more room for carseats than the LAnd rover discovery it replaced its crazy, and hte door openings are huge, great for leaning in and buckling kids.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'd look at some of the other smaller three row SUV. You'd be surprised at the gas mileage some of them get with new technologies (eg. variable cylinder management). The Highlander comes to mind. The Montero Limited... The GX460? Things like that. You're never going to have amazing fuel economy with larger/heavier vehicles, so there's always some compromising going on...but if money isn't an object, a lot of small and mid-size SUVs have hybrid options now.

-N.

Adorkable

one problem i can across with the smaller 3 row cars is that it either was cargo or the 3rd seat, but never both. and i have a double stroller! but even without that, i cant see how folks have a car load of kids and get away without a cargo area for their stuff. so for us that was a big requirement

V

VanIsleMommy

in canada there is the chevy orlando but i don't know if it's in the us and haven't seen it in person. the dodge journey may work too.

April

one problem i can across with the smaller 3 row cars is that it either was cargo or the 3rd seat, but never both. and i have a double stroller! but even without that, i cant see how folks have a car load of kids and get away without a cargo area for their stuff. so for us that was a big requirement

I have nothing helpful to add, but I can fit 5 kids and $500 of groceries in my Windstar easily. I love some of the mid-sized suvs, but I just can't give up the sliding doors yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

LittlePeanut

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Price is definitely a big issue so expensive vehicles, while they may meet their needs, are a non-starter. I will pass along the suggestions to them but please post if you can think of others.

Is that $500 of Canadian groceries? Because that doesn't impress nearly so much as $500 in US groceries.

-N.

Haha so true!

morlando27

I think the Ford Freestyle/Taurus X are probably the most budget-friendly. The Chrysler Pacifica with the 3rd row (optional) might also work but I've heard nothing but bad things about them in terms of quality & mechanical issues.

bubbaray

I love my RAV4 for my 2adult/2kid family. I can't imagine why anyone would even consider it for a larger family than that. I would only recommend even the 3row version for very occasional use. But for 2 kids and 4WD, it rocks, esp in the V6. Certainly NOT an atrocious vehicle for a family of 2 kids.

If the family you are working with really won't consider a minivan, I would look at a Flex. If they want AWD/4WD, the Flex also comes in AWD. Also the Highlander or Pilot would fit all the kids. Not sure about US prices tho. And none of those gets good mileage. For that matter, neither does my V6 RAV4.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Unfortunately, the vehicles that approach or exceed minivans in terms of fuel economy all have serious tradeoffs in terms of third row legroom and cargo space behind the third row. While the smaller third rows are generally fine for kids in boosters and smaller pre-teens, other teens will find their knees well up in the air with no thigh support due to the seats that are low to the floor. That makes for a less comfortable ride on long trips.

http://carseatblog.com/17588/minivan-or-suv/

Adorkable

i know that in my Flex forum a lot of folks are upgrading to the 2013 flex becasue there was a style change, so that means a lot of '09 and '10 Flexes on the market used. since it is a pretty high end car they have been holding up very well over time, so a used one may be an option?

LittlePeanut

I should have mentioned that I and they are in Canada. So some of the vehicle mentioned, while cheaper in the US, are much more expensive here. Sounds like the Flex is definitely one she should be considering and thanks for the tip on the possible trade-ins that will hopefully help with buying used.

Thanks Darren for the link. I'll send that along to them as well.

MidnightEB

We love our Flex with the 2 kids 2 dogs both over 60lbs we have plenty of room. If we run into a situation that we dont roof rails take about 30 minutes to install for the cargo container.

Handles very well and is comfortable in all 3 rows.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC