Does the Orbit HIT the carseat next to it?

bnsnyde

Maybe this is a silly question, but it occurred to me...
Can I even install an Orbit toddler seat RF and spin it without it hitting the FF seat next to it? Right now that's a Radian. That could change in the future to a Clek or maybe even a Frontier85.

And for the infant Orbit seat, would it even rotate at all without hitting? Orbit seems to think it would hit. So that would mean the rotating feature is, um, not a feature.

We always do 3 in a row.

The seats are on backorder so I'm not sure I still want it. I DO, but if it's just going to smack into the Radian, I can't see how the rotating feature is a benefit. Thanks!

So my questions is would the Toddler seat even work? And the baby seat? If it can't rotate that defeats the purpose for me with a bad back. Or if it brushes the seat but still works, I guess that's OK. But I find heavy baby seats easy to click in the base by using my ARMS and knee (hard to explain, use knee to jut seat up into base guided by arm). This seat, while it says it saves your back, doesn't have a handle to do that with. You have to grab the seat with 2 hands. That's all back. :(. I guess I don't see how that's good. I might not be understanding.

Last edited:
ADS

CTRS4peds

I have the toddler seat and infant seat. When they are installed next to my radian I can not rotate the seat.
The seat will hit on the radian.

CTRS4peds

Sent to soon

Will the base fit next to your other seats?

I can fit them side by side in my pilot, but not in my accord.

I can install the infant seat without the base next to the radian in the accord, but it takes away the feature of the base.

What else are you puzzling with? The orbit base has a weird shape to it, and might not puzzle well.

I also have back issues and bought the orbit system, but honestly never really found it t be easier to use then the other seats we have, and it does take two hands to release.

bnsnyde

It's going in a Honda Odyssey 2011, on wide-mode. It can fit 3 across of most anything (well maybe not 3 SICT!).

The Orbit toddler seat would go outboard behind the driver (and with the base), next to a FF Radian.
Will the toddler seat rotate? That's the million $$ question. I'm nearly positive the base will install (right now there is a huge Advocate there), but I want the rotation feature.

(The FF Radian could change to anything that would safely fit a soon to be 5-year-old, but really what's smaller than a Radian anyway?).

bnsnyde

Oh no!
Well, I can try it when it arrives.
If anything, I think the lack of chemicals might make me happy enough with it.

And, this is totally theoretical, but I'm a bit leery of seats on a base. I have to assume that it will stay IN the base. Crash forces are so strong. I know it passed testing at whatever minimum standards there are, but I do worry about a seat with a base. Maybe that's silly. I don't want the thing going into Orbit!

Thanks for the information!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Next to a FF Radian, I imagine it will rotate. Can't say for sure though. I had mine in a 2010 Odyssey with the captain chairs pushed together and a RF Coccoro in the other seat and had no issues, but the space between the seats is probably larger than what you have to work with.

Yes, the seat has to pass testing with the base, and the crash forces used in testing are greater than what most crashes happen at.

bnsnyde

It rotates (enough).

Not sure I like the seat. I think I do. My toddler hates it. I asked him if he liked it and he shook his head and screamed while I strapped him in. It sits high up and is almost straight up. We'll see if it works out.

But I can honestly say that I'm not straining my back to shove him into it. So that there, was exactly what I was looking for. If I'm in less pain in a few weeks, I'll be very pleased.

My only concern is that it'll be too tempting to remove the seat and carry it inside somewhere (if he's asleep) while I pick up another kid from preschool, rather than wake him. Totally dumb, I know. How is THAT on one's back, lol. And as for the stroller, the stroller is really pricey, and I really don't WANT the option to take the seat out with a big toddler in it and dock it. That would defeat the purpose of saving one's back, right? So I'm trying to be happy with simply loading him in sideways.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC