Does the new Monterey belt guide work for you?

Does the new Monterey guide work for you?

• Yes! The belt never, ever comes out of the guide

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • It stays in if it's handled "just so", but pops out if you mess with it

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • No! The belt always comes out.

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters

Keeanh

I played with the new Monterey, and can't imagine how the belt COULD stay put in the guide. I know a lot of other people are having this problem too. But I'm wondering if we're only hearing about people who have a bad experience, and if this new belt guide works perfectly for the majority of people.

I allowed more than one answer in case you've had different experiences with different vehicles or seating positions. Click all that apply.

ADS

jennzee

We've only had ours a week, and have only tried on seating position, but so far, it falls out every single time.

tiggercat

It falls out every time it is buckled or unbuckled, even if handled carefully. It has NOT come out during use, so I view it as an inconvenience, and just grumble under my breath about having to run laps around my van before driving anywhere...
I am going to try out an older Monterey living in my basement (don't ask) and see how that goes.

Oh, and I can stop it from coming out as easily if I raise the shoulder belt adjuster on my vehicle belt, but then it doesn't retract freely if she moves. So that "fix" is a no go.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Seems like this could be such an easy fix if they wanted to fix it. Modify the belt guides just a bit and likely the problem would be gone! I really wanted this seat for ds but I just could not handle dealing wit the belt falling out all the time.

mamom

I wanted to love this Diono version, as my DD is thin and with the old style the growing sidewings would allow the seatbelt out of place too. The old seatbelt guides were horrible to get the seat belt in/out especially when it was locked accidentally by said 6 year old. :( HOWEVER, this is not the solution

Keeanh

Bumping for more responses. So far it's not looking too good for the new belt guide :p. I'd love it if they would put the old belt guide opening in the new position.

NannyMom

Well, I just put the Monterey in the center of my Sienna. I played with it just a bit and it seemed like it would be fine. But, we'll find out tomorrow.

ginny4

this doesn't look to good......i guess within the next few months i'm hoping for a revision of the belt guide.

can you all share what kind of vehicle & seating positions it has failed or worked in.

momtoo3

It stays in just fine outboard in a 2010 Malibu. Now to see if ds2 can buckle it next to ds3's MR. If he can I will move the Vivo to my van. If not I will have to try it in our truck but I am pretty sure the belt will slip in there because it comes from behind and not the side.

If it helps, it seems that if your belt comes from next to the seat but not far behind (in my van it comes from behind and to the side) then it shouldn't slip out but anything from behind will probably slip out. It is the way it sits in the guide. In dh's Malibu the belt is basically next to and a little above the belt guide and on the edge of the seat in the Malibu.

Here is a picture of the belt in the Malibu in the Monterey guide. It fits more to the outside of the guide and doesn't come out unless I take it out myself. In my van it fits more to the inside of the guide where the opening is and slips out.
DSC07216-1.jpg

ginny4

It is a bench. The belt does not adjust in height.

THANKS i have capt chairs & the height of shoulder belt adjusts in that 2nd row. i wonder if that would make a difference.
it just confirms that i better buy from a place with excellent return policy when the time comes OR hope for a slight change of that with Diono.

tiggercat

ginny4 said:
THANKS i have capt chairs & the height of shoulder belt adjusts in that 2nd row. i wonder if that would make a difference.
it just confirms that i better buy from a place with excellent return policy when the time comes OR hope for a slight change of that with Diono.

I have an 02 caravan with capt chairs, and you can adjust the shoulder belt height. Raising the height stops the belt from falling from the guide as easily, however it also makes the belt not retract if my daughter moves at all. Not sure if that would depend on the booster height setting too.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Had 2 at a seat check today, back seat of an Oddyssey? minivan. The seatbelts would not stay in the guide at all.

MommyShannon

Ugh, the more I read, the more I will stick with our nauti as a booster. I LOVE the belt guide. Why is this so hard on other seats? I don't like how small the guide is on the TB either. On the nauti, it doesn't fall out, yet it's easy enough to remove that my dd can take it out and put back in if the belt gets twisted. It's big too so the belt never gets caught in it.

NannyMom

I used it alot today in the center of my sienna and had absolutely no problems. Maybe because the seatbelt comes from behind (attached to the setback)?

Dmcj13

We just bought this seat last week. I have used it twice in my husbands 07 Focus, no problems. It did fall out if I moved the belt around a lot, but not with normal use. And then I used it all day today in my 05 Grand Caravan, the car it is meant for. I was so sure I would have problems and have to sell it, but so far so good! I used it in the third row, didn't mess with the belt much but buckled/ unbuckled her 3 times each, and it stayed put, also stayed put for all of the rides. I did have to pull it through the belt guide a little to tighten, but I dont think that is a problem, as I have to tug my shoulder belt tight in that vehicle as well, the seat belts are just weird. I am so happy! I will update if any of that changes, and after I use it in the captains chair as well.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I had my DH's granddaughter here today so I got my DM out of the box and tried her in it.

The two positions we tried were the 2nd row captain's chairs and the 3rd row bench seat in a 2001 Suburban.

I would have to use it more to see whether the belt would stay in the guide, but unfortunately in both positions the belt did not retract freely. It was hard to pull the belt through the guide to buckle her in, and once in, if she leaned forward it would not retract.

On the other hand, it was stiff enough that it was almost as good as "locking the seat belt" in terms of keeping her in position. She indicated it was really hard to lean forward. She also said it was super comfortable. It fit her like a glove. I don't think I've ever seen a better belt fit on anybody (although she fit my SK Monterey quite well also, and I really regret ever getting rid of it).

I have a Parkway on the way and I suspect that's the seat I'll keep instead of the Monterey. But I am really disappointed that the Monterey doesn't work with my seat belts. :(

Sometime if it stops raining, if I haven't gotten rid of the DM by then, I may try it in my Civic just for grins. But I can't fit it in there for regular use so it wouldn't do to keep it around for that anyway.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC