Does he 5-step?

luckyclov

DS1 is 9 years, 2 months old and 53" tall (68 lbs). He's far more torso than legs (outgrown every HBB except the FR85 in booster mode and PWSG/L).

This was experimental ONLY, he will not be riding without, at least, a backless booster for quite some time.

He's in the 8th seat of a 2011 Sienna. The 8th seat sits lower then the captain's chairs and is also shorter depth-wise.

He's all the way back...and fully upright. He has adequate vehicle head support. His knees bend fully over the seat edge. The shoulder belt fits great. The lap belt is not as "high" as it appears in the full length picture, but it's also not as low as it could be, ideally. There is contact with the bony hip.

Thoughts?

397590_2886743413170_1397708058_3179645_1268091563_n.jpg

406335_2886744293192_1397708058_3179646_2008440143_n.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I would be comfortable allowing him to ride there in a pinch - like if you have an extra kid who needs transported but appears without a booster. But I would stick with the backless for everyday for added support (as you intend to. :))

luckyclov

I would be comfortable allowing him to ride there in a pinch
He normally rides in a PWSG (HB still), but that's actually why I was experimenting (he, clearly, didn't 5-step in any other rear seat); the unexpected, "oh, crap, what do I do with all these kids?!" moment that may, or may not ever, pop up. You know, only one of us would prepare for that kind of stuff.:p

Qarin

That's how my 52" 10yo fits in the third row outboard of my parents' 2005 Nissan Quest. I would be OK with her riding there in a pinch, but would prefer a booster to go from borderline to definitely good lapbelt fit.

luckyclov

ETA that he's a lot closer to 5-stepping than MY 53" 9yo.
It's ONLY in that 8th seat...it's shorter depth-wise, which plays a big role. Not a chance of 5-stepping (yet) in any of the other 5 rear seats.:p

Yep, I agree. Don't love the lap belt fit, but in a no-other-option pinch, I'd be OK with it.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The back seats in the Saturn are very deep, and in the Kia they're very buckety. 5-stepping won't be anytime soon. And my kid tends towards the leggy.

Warning, picture:

39.jpg

luckyclov

She is leggy (and cute!). She looks so much "taller" than my 53"-er. We don't have legs in my family, just torsos.;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC