Question Do you use your RXT in booster mode? (need seat rec)

HayleyCPST

I'm considering buying an RXT or older XTSL as a once-size-fits-all car seat for all the different sized/aged kids I Nanny for.

Since most of my kiddos are not booster aged (or they are just not in my car), I find myself rarely needing a booster or a seat that can convert. However, I've needed it a few times and it has saved the day.

Of the RXT owners, do you use it in booster mode? Or is it a feature that shouldn't really be taken into account for when searching for seats? I'm open to other ideas, but like that the Radian works really well for 3 across in my car and I know for a fact it works because I've owned them before.

New seat requirements:
- must go RF at least 40lbs, preferably 45 or more
- doesn't matter if I need to import
- must have at least 17" top slots
- at least 25" shell height

This new dream seat has to be low profile! Long story but just look at these pictures and they say it all. I can barely fit a kid through that tiny space and always bonk heads. http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/hayleyscool/car seat pics/IMG_0124.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/hayleyscool/car seat pics/IMG_0122.jpg

ADS

tiggercat

I've used it once in booster mode and the belt fit is good, but my 53lb daughter had to be squished under the head wings and it was uncomfortable for her. She's really too tall for it in body height. It might work in a pinch for >50lb short torsoed kids, but then you'd might as well use it in harness mode...

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

canadiangie

I sat my 44 pound, 46 inch, 6.5 yo dd in an RXT just the other day to see how it would work (obviously she doesn't weigh enough for it yet) and the lap belt fit was fine, the shoulder fit was ok, but the shoulder belt couldn't retract, and she was pretty much too tall for it anyway. She was also extremely squished, and looked uncomfy.

Only the heaviest of shortest children might find it works ok in booster mode, but I'm guessing the shoulder belt not retracting would be an issue in quite a few vehicles, and if kiddo is short enough to fit, they may as well stay harnessed, really.

Hope that helps.

jacqui276

DD tried sitting in one in booster mode in a friend's car for a ride home once. I popped out and the belt fit looked ok but her shoulders were just hitting the head wings making her miserable. I'm not planning on using mine in booster mode at all and will just buy DS a dedicated booster when he gets to that point someday.

If I were in your shoes, I would probably buy a seat like the RXT (or something cheaper) for the little kids and an inexpensive booster like a literider that is easy to pop in for the bigger kids when you need it. I would find it easier to throw in a little booster than have to uninstall the Radian to remove the harness whenever a big kid needs it (and it has a good chance of not fitting properly).

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Are you looking for a seat to go in the middle (of the pics you posted)? I would maybe go with a R120 over an RXT so that it's easier loading (you won't have to maneuver around the wings). And like a literider or Cruz or something like PP mentioned.

I'll have to try DD in our RXT. She won't hit 50lbs for years, most likely, but now im kind of curious.

HayleyCPST

If I were in your shoes, I would probably buy a seat like the RXT (or something cheaper) for the little kids and an inexpensive booster like a literider that is easy to pop in for the bigger kids when you need it. I would find it easier to throw in a little booster than have to uninstall the Radian to remove the harness whenever a big kid needs it (and it has a good chance of not fitting properly).
I completely agree with you but I don't have head rests in the rear bench. Of the kids I Nanny/sit, there's only one kiddo in a dedicated booster. His mom provides the seat when we go on outings. If there's a need for 3 across with that family I just use their car. I think he's also over 50 lbs too.
Are you looking for a seat to go in the middle (of the pics you posted)? I would maybe go with a R120 over an RXT so that it's easier loading (you won't have to maneuver around the wings). And like a literider or Cruz or something like PP mentioned.

I'll have to try DD in our RXT. She won't hit 50lbs for years, most likely, but now im kind of curious.

The only seat I currently have for use is a Multi tech. The picture is years old and was just to show how high profile seats (like britax and recaro) do not work great for outboard. I'd be open to those but would have to load through trunk.

I'm looking for a seat to go next to my MT, which is currently outboard driver. I could move the MT center and find something for outboard. Whatever seat I get it has to puzzle with the MT so I can have the 3rd seat for other passengers or random 3 across. I'll probably end up getting the RXT because it can be used for a large range of kids. Now if only it had infinite harness.... Does anyone know if it will puzzle with MT? I could try my demo seat with it I guess.

Also my seat belts need locking clips or the seats have to have lock offs.

HaileysMommy

There are going to be very few kids who will be 50lbs and short enough to use the seat as a booster. My DD is almost 4 and has a ton of growing room in the Radian. But by the time she is 50lbs she will be 6 if not 7 and way too tall for the Radian in booster mode. It would make more sense to get a booster if you need to that doesn't require a head rest.

christineka

I tried my son in the rxt as booster. He was squashed. Because the radian harness can be used with shoulders above the top slots. there would be no reason to ever use the rxt in booster mode. The top belt guide is around 17.5 inches. The r120 would be a better choice because the booster belt guide is much higher and there are no headwings to impede the shoulders. My son fit fine in the r100 as booster, but he also barely fit in the seat with harness. (Shoulders above the top slots.)

VoodooChile

I bought ds's RXT with no plans to ever use it as a booster. This is probably just me, but I had to dig at the cover to get at the belt guides, so the thought of doing that fairly regularly to use them made me feel annoyed.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC