Do YOU trust SuperLatch?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I trust the Super LATCH components. They clearly have designed and tested them to the ratings of the seat. Whether or not there are past or ongoing defects is obviously a matter of discussion.

As to the vehicle anchors- Most likely, they would not fail, and even if they did, they would bend or yield, rather than break, still providing suitable protection. Even so, I would not use them beyond a limit stated my the manufacturer in the vehicle owner's manual.

Sadly, it is my impression that the automakers and their joint alliance and working groups have driven this whole weight limit fiasco, leading to confusing "default" and "combined" weight limits, rather than a clear and simple solution like Diono offered. Very sad.

What should have been done by NHTSA and/or SafeKids, CPS Board or other organization/alliance groups was to press for clearly worded owner's manual statements allowing LATCH to be used to a high enough limit or to defer to the carseat manufacturer, as some automakers do. Failing that, at some point we need to consider removing LATCH as an option for forward facing seats altogether. If there is actual proof that LATCH is only safe to a combined 65 pound limit, then realistically there is a relatively narrow window when a parent should use a seat forward facing with LATCH anyway.

Instead, it seems everyone caved to the path of least resistance, which happened to be little easier for parents to learn and remember than the crazy situation we have now. Kudos to Diono for trying. It doesn't seem to me like many organizations really stood up for the safety of children in this particular issue.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, from my perspective, there have been independent groups advocating and agitating loudly... But the government chose to ignore their voices and placate automakers, instead.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Well, from my perspective, there have been independent groups advocating and agitating loudly... But the government chose to ignore their voices and placate automakers, instead.

Sure- as have many individuals. Unfortunately, combined, smaller groups and indivdiuals likely have less influence than any one major organization like Safe Kids, Consumer Reports, AAP, IIHS, CHOP or even the CPS Board. I don't have the impression that any of those larger entities really advocated much on behalf of the safety or simplicity aspect of this problem, if they recognized that this is a potential safety issue for parents and children at all. Of course, some of these agencies are funded by auto manufacturers and their trade groups, so there's not much they can do in some cases.

Cryssy Jane

I did not read all the responses... but no I don't trust superlatch in general (but love my radians), so I would not use it past stated vehicle weight limits. Then again, It is extremely rare that I ever use latch as I trust the seat belt significantly more so it's kinda moot for me.

As for the new rules, also moot for me. Subaru has always been weight of child plus weight of seat so it's not new for me. I don't use latch in the van, and mazda won't give an opinion on anything anyways.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC