Do you keep extra car seats for your kids' friends?

smileyblue4

I am curious if anyone keeps extra seats around to transport either carpool kids or your kids' friends? I know a lot of parents out there who don't know better use low back boosters for their 3 and 4 year old kids and I would not be comfortable letting them ride like that in my car. So what do you do about that?

ADS

flutie128

Well, until recently I have had extra seats just sitting around my house and would use it for a friend's child if needed. Honestly at the age of needing a harnessed seat we don't do a ton of carpool unless the other parent is in the car with me. If we are just riding with another family we just move car seats if needed.

Lenae

I occasionally drive one of my three nephews or niece home from preschool, when I do that I move DD's RXT to the center and toss in our spare Complete Air. I don't keep it specifically for that use, but it is nice to have around for it.

krasota

I'm an emergency contact for a few friends' children. I keep appropriate seats on hand for the kids who need them.

thtr4me

We don't have extra seats per se, but if DS1 has a friend coming over, we pull DS1's Frontier out of DH's car and put it in our truck, where we can do 3 full size seats across with room to spare.

jacqui276

I have an extra no back booster for if I need to transport any of DD's friends. I don't have extra harnessed seats anymore though but don't anticipate that I will be in a bind having to transport a child young enough to be in one.

christineka

I have extra seats because I have a problem with collecting them. if other kids are in my vehicle, they would use my extra seats or a seat that is for a child not in my vehicle.

babyherder

I don't have any kids but I have always provided the seats for any children riding in my car. I like to know that the seats I'm using are safe and age/size appropriate. Plus then I have the right seats to do a 3 across and don't have to install, uninstall, reinstall, reuninstall, etc when I transport kids from different families. So far no parents have had a problem with it. Mostly, they're been impressed that I won my myride 65.

Brianna

I do- I don't have my own kids. Right now in my possession I have a Britax Frontier 85 that gets used weekly for my godson. I keep a Turbo Booster in my trunk. I also own a Graco MyRide 65, Evenflo Tribute and Evenflo Triumph that I could pick up if I needed them, right now they're all spares that are seldom used by my godson (except the Tribute that he outgrew)

Baylor

I don't keep one specifically but I did realize after reading this post, I could transport all the children I am in contact with safely and appropriately if need be.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I have two seats for my nanny kiddos- Recaro ProBooster and a Nautilus. I don't have them often during the school year though.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I have spares for my kids that I could use for others. I semi-regularly transport some of the grandkids, and I have enough seats for them. The only being I do not have a seat for is a small infant/newborn. i have larger RFing seats, FFing seats, and boosters.

kam1011

I keep extra LBB's specifically for that purpose, but I'm talking about 6-8yos. I have like 16 or so carseats, so the two times I ever drove someone else's kid, I just put one in.

elacklen

My sister just had this situation-she was transporting another 6 year old. She noticed the mom didn't bring in a booster so she mentioned she had a spare. The mom said "Oh, Timmy is tall, so we don't use one." My sis called me stressed over what to do. I told her. I would tell Timmy/mom Sorry, but in my car we use car seats. But awkward. And sad.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC