Disneyland +5 kids on a plane?

M

Momof5

My husband and I are taking our 5 children to Disneyland in June for a week. We will be staying at the Disneyland Resort when we get there. I am on the fence about taking boosters for our younger 3 boys. We have booked a Shared Ride Van to transport us from the Airport to Hotel. It is my understanding that this is a 30 minute ride. Do our kids legally need to be boostered in CA? I would prefer not to take boosters at all because the luggage for 5 kids and 6 adults is overwhelming.
Kids:
M-10
L-9
B-5.5
K-5.5
G-4.5

The younger 3 boys are all almost the same size (2"&5# differences). They are all over 40# and we would be buying $13 walmart harmony boosters for this trip if we need them.

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Welcome!

Yes, I believe they will legally need to be boostered. Also, since you are already taking three boosters, you should throw a couple more in if either of your older kids do not five-step. Unfortunately the laws of physics follow us on vacation :(

An alternative would be to take a Motor Coach, such as the Disneyland Express, instead of the shared ride van. The kids do not need boosters on the bus.

Have a great time at The Happiest Place on Earth! :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
California has a proper use of the seatbelt clause, and no exception for limos, cabs, or shuttles. Any child who is under 8 and not yet 4'9”, AND any child whose lap and shoulder belts don't fit, must use a booster or car seat. We are also a proper use state for child restraints.

This flyer explains the relevant laws: http://www.carseat.org/Resources/630CA.pdf

M

Momof5

Thank you Carrie for the motor coach tip. We are going to plan for that. I really don't want to buy and pack booster seats we won't need again when we get back home and that we would only use for an hour.

3ringcircus

California has a proper use of the seatbelt clause, and no exception for limos, cabs, or shuttles. Any child who is under 8 and not yet 4'9”, AND any child whose lap and shoulder belts don't fit, must use a booster or car seat. We are also a proper use state for child restraints.

This flyer explains the relevant laws: http://www.carseat.org/Resources/630CA.pdf

Actually CVC 27360.5 only mentions that a child over 8 but under 16 must ride in "an appropriate child passenger restraint system or safety belt meeting applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards" and that the lap portion of the belt has to cross the hips or upper thighs and the shoulder portion crosses the chest rather than the child having to pass the full "5 point test". CVC 27315 (2).

Also the law states that the only time the mandatory restraint laws apply in a taxicab or limousine for hire is when the passenger is riding in the front seat. cvc 27315 (3-4).

My source is the California Legislative Information website. I cross checked the Vehicle Code listings, the text of SB 929 and the DMV website for this.

That said, having your children ride in appropriate child restraints until they pass the 5 point test is definitely best practice....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC