Dilemma with chosing seat for grandparents car

U

Unregistered

I live in B.C., Canada. My ds is 4.5 years old and weighs approx. 37#s and has a torso height of 14.5". He has just recently been turned forward facing in a Radian XT. Although the weight limit was not maxed rfing, I have a 2005 Honda Civic and the install was too difficult on my back and needed to be redone every other week because of slippage issues so in order to get the safest install I just turned him around last month. I think I've made peace with that. Anyway.....

I have just recently realized that I might need a second "emergency" car seat to be used once in a blue moon when ds stays with my parents. He stays with them for a few hours at a time, a few times a week and not having a seat for their car has yet to be a problem so I don't anticipate it being used often. I also would like the seat for the occasional friend riding with us which happens approx. 1 time a month.

My parents do not want to permanently install a seat in their car (a 2010 Prius if that helps) so it will need to be easily carried up and down a few flights of stairs, be easily stored and be easily installed. Money is also an issue.

I feel stuck because I have been researching all of the options here for days (why can't we get something like the Go Hybrid or the RSTV in Canada?) but can't seem to justify buying another $200+ seat like the nautilus or frontier XT (both of which I have seen and would be too heavy anyway) to only be used sometimes. I am also not comfortable putting him in a dedicated booster at this point not to mention that it's against the law for another 3 pounds which many of you know might happen in another few months or it could take a year to gain!

I also don't want to install a new seat in my car full time and have my $300 car seat that weighs a ton but folds up nicely sit in the closet for emergency use iykwim. Am I missing an option? Sorry this is mostly a lot of rambling but I am driving myself insane with this! TIA!

ADS
V

VanIsleMommy

watch for sales, I got my nautilus for $100 at zellers during a clearance sale. mind you it was 2 years old, but I'd personally prefer buying a 2 year old unused seat at a discount from a store than buying used.

that said, if you have a reputable consignment store nearby you can check there for used seats.

for an occasional use grandparents car sort of deal, I would probably get an inexpensive seat. keep in mind they do meet minimum safety requirements and they're usually lighter too. as long as it has a decent shell height and weight rating to fit your son you should be ok. I would go with something with a 5 point harness as long as possible. check out the american pediatrics society recommendations for best bet belt positioning boosters, as they have a list of some to avoid.

canadiangie

The Evenflo Maestro is a nice seat, especially as a cost effective secondary seat. It runs about 129 regular price, 99 when on sale. :)

Hope that helps,

mommycat

Hello and Welcome!

Great work keeping your son RF for so long! At 4.5yo he is safe being FF, so I hope you do feel at peace with your decision to FF. His bones are stonger, his neck is stronger and his head is smaller in proportion to his body, so while he is still small enough to fit age-wise he is fine to sit FF now.

I agree that the Evenflo Maestro sounds like just the seat for you. It has top slots of ~18" the same as your Radian, is a much lighter seat and is not typically as difficult to install as the Radian can be. It also turns into a decent booster, and while the height doesn't adjust any taller so it will not last till he is ready for a seatbelt only, you will be able to use it for booster training for short rides once your DS is 40lbs, and then you would be able to use it as a booster for carpools, etc when you aren't able to install the seat for him and don't want to trust the install to whoever is driving him. This seat as Angie has said is $129 regular price and is usually available at Sears, ToysRUs (online at both) and Zellers (depending on stock).

While you may see other Evenflo combination seats for potentially less $$ these seats have lower harness slots and do not tend to make as nice of a booster.

Another option would be to get a First Years True Fit on sale for $99 at ToysRUs right now (though it's showing out of stock online), it has top harness slots almost as tall and is very easy to install FF in most cases. This doesn't turn into a booster, though, and is a bigger slightly heavier seat. (Has a handle grip in the headrest that makes it easier to carry).

I would probably choose the Maestro as a 1st choice, personally, and see if it installs well in the vehicle and whether you like it in person. If there are issues, then look at the alternatives.

U

Unregistered

Thank you all for your replies. I googled the maestro and it came up with all these TC recalls due to shell cracking or something? While I like this option that makes me a bit concerned. Is that just an isolated thing or should I be worried?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Thank you all for your replies. I googled the maestro and it came up with all these TC recalls due to shell cracking or something? While I like this option that makes me a bit concerned. Is that just an isolated thing or should I be worried?

There was a recall on a period of them when they were first manufactured for the harness adjuster area. With a certain kind of scenario, there was potential for the harness adjuster to come out of the shell. There weren't any actual incidents - it was discovered during crash testing and they issued a recall that strengthened that area of the seat. I believe there were only about 3 months worth of seats recalled in Canada if that, so it was a very small recall so far as recalls go.

The seats since that period don't have any recalls on them and the front adjuster area has been modified so that there won't be any issues. I'd have no concerns about buying or using a Maestro - and even the recalled ones are safe to use once the recall fix has been applied. :thumbsup:

tam_shops

OP I agree w/ the Maestro. I have and use them for our d/c seats. Nice and light and easy to lift/move and our d/c lady is older and can do the buckles easily. A friend's mom has the Truefit for d/c and she can do the buckles, but not lift the seat...

There was $100 Nautilus in Canada!? Wow! Going to Walmart today, got to check and see and will check and see our Zellers, who knows! I think I checked back when someone posted and ours had $100 Sceneras as a consolation prize! ROFL

tam

V

VanIsleMommy

yep!! I actually went in just to buy the true fit that they had on sale for $120 or something, and I happened to walk by a bunch of nautilus boxes on sale for $100. it was during their baby days sale a few months ago. I also saw them at canadian tire for $149 about a year or so ago. so they do go on sale, you just have to watch! :)

U

Unregistered

I'm back again! I have another question. I bought the Maestro and it fits my ds great! It is very light weight just like everyone said.

I tried to install it next to my Radian which is in a middle install and the maestro is overlapping (for lack of a better term) the radian. I worry that because they are kind of smooshed together and touching they will interfere with each other in a crash. Is that the case? If I close the door and it moves both seats is that bad? I won't be using it a whole lot in my car because like I said it's for the grandparents mostly but when I do, do I need to uninstall the radian and put it outboard?

As a reminder I have a 2005 Honda Civic 4-door. Thanks!

mommycat

Overlapping is ok so long as each seat is independently tight (the overlap is what you will see referred to as "puzzling"). For independent installs, you need to install one seat and check for less than 1" of movement at the beltpath in any direction, then install the second seat, remove the 1st, and check if the second seat was also installed with less than 1" of movement. Then recreate the 1st install. IIRC, statistics show that seats are a bit safer when they are installed next to other seats, probably because they restict eachother's movement a bit.

It worries me a bit that shutting the door is moving your seats, for two reasons: 1) are the seats installed tightly enough? as I said there needs to be less than 1" of movement at the belt path, and 2) how much stress is the pressure of the door putting on the seat shell? if the door is just nudging a bit I would be ok with it and just close gently, but if it is really pressing into the carseat I would worry about damaging the shell.

Since you are installing with seatbelt you might be able to put the Radian in a little further towards the empty seat and tighten it, and then put in the Maestro next to it also set away a bit from the door. Then you may not have the issue of it hitting.

U

Unregistered

Well shoot. I am just not liking how the Maestro "puzzles" next to the Radian in my car! Those cup holders are just a little too much and even if i install the Radian a little off to the side, they are still super crunched. While I am not sure how much this seat will be in my car, I still really want to feel better about having it in there and not have to reinstall the radian every time I want to use it.

Are any of the other combination seat narrower that might fit better but that is still light weight like the Maestro? Do you think Toys R Us will take it back if I still have the box? Thanks!

snowbird25ca

Well shoot. I am just not liking how the Maestro "puzzles" next to the Radian in my car! Those cup holders are just a little too much and even if i install the Radian a little off to the side, they are still super crunched. While I am not sure how much this seat will be in my car, I still really want to feel better about having it in there and not have to reinstall the radian every time I want to use it.

Are any of the other combination seat narrower that might fit better but that is still light weight like the Maestro? Do you think Toys R Us will take it back if I still have the box? Thanks!

If it's been used then the seat isn't returnable anymore. I do believe that Evenflo has allowed the removal of the cupholders though - maybe give them a call and ask about that if it's a cupholder problem?

The chase might be narrower by a smidge, but it has shorter harness slots and the harness adjuster itself can be a pain to use - the maestro is really a much nicer seat and if it's going to be a rarity to ever need the 2 seats side by side, then I'd personally keep the maestro. It's ultimately up to you of course, but those are my thoughts. :)

mommycat

I didn't realize the cupholders were removable, Trudy - good to know this might be a possibility. Also, do trial installs count for "used"? OP, are the tags still attached to the seat?

There aren't many narrower options unfortunately. Is the friend who sometimes rides with you any bigger than your DS? Do they normally ride in a harnessed seat or a booster? Similar in age? Depending on stats and maturity level I might just get a narrow dedicated booster for those trips, potentially even a backless if they are short trips and the child can handle it. My DS is 6 so a bit older but we have used the Harmony backless for him when we needed to make a 3across work and it was fine for those occasional trips. :twocents: BUT, he is able to sit well, so you would need to assess that need.

Do they even still make the Graco Cargo? I haven't seen one in ages but that used to be a narrow combo seat. It is showing out-of-stock pages at Sears when I google it, and nothing else so I think it might be gone for good. Anyone?

tam_shops

Trudy, I phoned them last summer and they told me to remove them (and how to remove them obvious but), then posted that I had on bbc, which created a thread b/c others had been told the same and others told the opposite. So, I finally emailed, in the email, the lady said I could NOT remove the cup holders b/c my child's fingers may get caught in there...I suggested putting something over them, she declined that suggestion, as they may come off...

So, if you phone, do get the lady's name (and let me know, please! LOL) as I'd like mine off again too...they are a serious pain in harness mode.

I also know that in booster mode several techs told me to put them back on for stability or something...

OP not a fan of those cup holders either, but for a spare it's such a light easy to lift/store seat...The Nautilus is a bit bigger/wider (I looked at it b/c we were looking for the most narrow seat for 3 across). The TF is even bigger/wider/bulkier/heavier.

Could you store it in the house or Trunk while transporting to your parents? Maybe I read wrong, thought you said it was a spare? Or install both seats outboard?

tam

snowbird25ca

Trudy, I phoned them last summer and they told me to remove them (and how to remove them obvious but), then posted that I had on bbc, which created a thread b/c others had been told the same and others told the opposite. So, I finally emailed, in the email, the lady said I could NOT remove the cup holders b/c my child's fingers may get caught in there...I suggested putting something over them, she declined that suggestion, as they may come off...

So, if you phone, do get the lady's name (and let me know, please! LOL) as I'd like mine off again too...they are a serious pain in harness mode.

I also know that in booster mode several techs told me to put them back on for stability or something...

OP not a fan of those cup holders either, but for a spare it's such a light easy to lift/store seat...The Nautilus is a bit bigger/wider (I looked at it b/c we were looking for the most narrow seat for 3 across). The TF is even bigger/wider/bulkier/heavier.

Could you store it in the house or Trunk while transporting to your parents? Maybe I read wrong, thought you said it was a spare? Or install both seats outboard?

tam

Evenflo announced at KIM - a conference in the US, that the cupholders (not the arm-rests, the cupholders,) can be removed, and they have plugs available for the holes. The Us has an institutional version of the seat and it doesn't have the cupholders. :thumbsup:

abc's_&_123's

If it's been used then the seat isn't returnable anymore. I do believe that Evenflo has allowed the removal of the cupholders though - maybe give them a call and ask about that if it's a cupholder problem?

I didn't realize the cupholders were removable, Trudy - good to know this might be a possibility. Also, do trial installs count for "used"? OP, are the tags still attached to the seat?

Would just installing in the car be considered use? No one has ridden in it yet. There weren't any tags on it and I still have the box. Not convinced I am bringing it back yet unless I am prepared to wait until new options come out.

There aren't many narrower options unfortunately. Is the friend who sometimes rides with you any bigger than your DS? Do they normally ride in a harnessed seat or a booster? Similar in age? Depending on stats and maturity level I might just get a narrow dedicated booster for those trips, potentially even a backless if they are short trips and the child can handle it. My DS is 6 so a bit older but we have used the Harmony backless for him when we needed to make a 3across work and it was fine for those occasional trips. :twocents: BUT, he is able to sit well, so you would need to assess that need.

I am the emergency contact for my best friend's kids. Her DD is 2 and a peanut at like 21 pounds (she is unfortunately ffing despite my constant nagging) and her DS is 5 and the tallest kid I know weighing approx. 42 pounds (he is boostering but has ridden harnessed in my car before). We also have friends around the same stats as my DS- some are boostering and some are harnessed and there has been occasion for them to be in our car previously for field trips etc.

tam

If I call I will let you know! Can I keep it in the trunk? For some reason I thought it might not be good for the integrity of the seat. I don't want to have DS outboard all the time either so that won't work. (I know I"m being difficult it just makes me feel better to have him in the middle! :eek: )

Evenflo announced at KIM - a conference in the US, that the cupholders (not the arm-rests, the cupholders,) can be removed, and they have plugs available for the holes. The Us has an institutional version of the seat and it doesn't have the cupholders. :thumbsup:

I will give them a call then- I took a look at it and I am not sure how you can take the cupholders off and not the arm-rests though? They seem to be all one molded piece of plastic but maybe I am looking at the wrong thing. lol

Also, I can't find it in the instructions, when you do a seat belt install with this seat do you need to take off and out the latch strap and store it somewhere else or do you just leave it "latched" to the seat in the belt path?

P.S. I finally registered! :cool: Yay! lol

Marina

tam_shops

If I call I will let you know! I will give them a call then- I took a look at it and I am not sure how you can take the cupholders off and not the arm-rests though? They seem to be all one molded piece of plastic but maybe I am looking at the wrong thing. lol Also said:
Marina, please due, I'm pretty sure Trudy is right and already was told that, but interested on what they'll say, this week. LOL

Trudy, I second Marina, HOW do you take the cup holder off w/ out the arm rest, or more importantly to what point/purpose would you do that? The cup holders/arm rests are two shades of grey. There are two screws which (I assume, cause I'm not doing it) that you could remove to (I assume) the cup holder from the arm rest, but it's not going to save you any amount of space and if you did that, what's the point b/c it takes up almost as much width space as the arm rest itself. You'd loose maybe 1cm up but not much out (the problem). Further, there would be no holes to plug if all you remove is the cup portion of the arm rest. I can take pics if that helps, just don't know how to post them?

tam

snowbird25ca

Marina, please due, I'm pretty sure Trudy is right and already was told that, but interested on what they'll say, this week. LOL

Trudy, I second Marina, HOW do you take the cup holder off w/ out the arm rest, or more importantly to what point/purpose would you do that? The cup holders/arm rests are two shades of grey. There are two screws which (I assume, cause I'm not doing it) that you could remove to (I assume) the cup holder from the arm rest, but it's not going to save you any amount of space and if you did that, what's the point b/c it takes up almost as much width space as the arm rest itself. You'd loose maybe 1cm up but not much out (the problem). Further, there would be no holes to plug if all you remove is the cup portion of the arm rest. I can take pics if that helps, just don't know how to post them?

tam

I've never seen one without cupholders aside from the pictures Judi posted last week. I've also never taken them off. I've heard it makes the seat puzzle better, but I can't personally speak for it. Sometimes little things make a difference when we're talking about puzzling.

Marina - would trying the Maestro on the other side of the Radian make a difference? Sometimes one side of the backseat is slightly bigger than the other. If the car has been driven with the seat installed and the tags are off the seat, they probably wouldn't take it back. It would ultimately depend on how sticky your store is on their carseat return policy though.

canadiangie

I skimmed posts, so probably missed this, but I'm going to ask it anyway... :p

Is the Maestro being installed with UAS (aka LATCH) or with the seatbelt?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC