Question Dilemma today about TB with no screws

mlohry

So my DS went to his buddy's house last night for a sleep over and I sent his Amp with him. Well the mom had to go to work and forgot to take my DS's booster out of her car, so when I picked him up all they had was a TB with no screws for my DS to borrow. I have told them to put screws in it, but to no avail! So I was stuck. I needed my DS to drive in our van for an hour trip 1 way and then back. It was either no booster, which he isn't even close to passing in our Ody or take the TB with no screws. I took the TB. I had no time to get screws, no hardware stores even on the drive to stop at. Good decision or not?

What would happen with no screws? Pretty much everyone I know with a TB doesn't have screws in them :(

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If there are no other options, I would take a screwless Turbo over no booster for a non-5 stepping child. (If kiddo 5-steps in any position or even borderline 5-steps, I might err on that side, and rearrange as necessary... speaking as someone who's boostered kiddos that fit the belt for reasons such as sleeping head support, etc.)

Worst case scenario is that the Turbo arms pop out due to crash forces and don't hold the belt down as they are designed to do. You lose your "false hips," but in a 9yo, that worries me less than it would with a younger child. At that point, you are only getting the benefit of kiddo being, literally, boosted, which hopefully would still give him a better belt fit than going without a booster at all, kwim?

There may be other unintended consequences I'm not thinking about, and hopefully the genius techs on here will bring them up if so, but that's my thought pattern of saying use it. It's far from ideal and I wouldn't chose it, but if my those were my only options, that would be my choice.

(While you have possession of the Turbo, I would stop at a hardware store and get some screws! Or, order a couple of batches from Graco, keep them in your glove compartment, and retrofit as needed.)

(Additional unsolicted advice: I would keep an extra Amp, Harmony Literider or Cosco High Rise/Ambassador around -- I keep one in my cargo area -- for these instances, and for when you have to transport friends, etc. At $12-15, it's a well worth it investment, even if you only use it twice a year.

Pixels

Anectdotal at best, but I believe there is a review of the TB on BRU.com that says they were in a crash and the armrests came completely off. Knowing how many Turbos have their screws, I think it's a good bet that there were no screws.

So, worst case scenario, the armrests come out, the base slides out from under the child, and the child is left booster-less and with a loose belt. That said, I believe that in the vast majority of crashes any booster is better than no booster, and in most crashes the Turbo would be just fine even without screws.

If it was me/my child, I would have used the booster. Without a booster, you know that the belt doesn't fit and the child is at risk. With the booster, at least there is a chance.

mlohry

I posted in another thread that the child who owns the booster is done using it, so not sure if the screws would even be worth it.

I did really wish I had a spare booster at the time. Probably wouldn't of had it with, but would have been nice to have the option.

My DS may have 5 stepped closer in the 3rd row of our Ody, but I tried him in positions at least a year ago and there was no way he was even close. I should try it again now.

Pixels

You can't get plastic screws (screws made out of metal, intended for use in plastic) at a hardware store. You have to get them directly from Graco.

OP, if the booster is worth keeping around, then get the screws. If it's not worth getting the screws, get rid of the booster. No sense in keeping around a seat that is unsafe to use, KWIM?

Jessica61624

mlohry said:
I posted in another thread that the child who owns the booster is done using it, so not sure if the screws would even be worth it.

I did really wish I had a spare booster at the time. Probably wouldn't of had it with, but would have been nice to have the option.

My DS may have 5 stepped closer in the 3rd row of our Ody, but I tried him in positions at least a year ago and there was no way he was even close. I should try it again now.

They're free from graco.

Carrie_R

If it was me/my child, I would have used the booster. Without a booster, you know that the belt doesn't fit and the child is at risk. With the booster, at least there is a chance.

Yes, this was my mindset (and it sounds like the OP's as well.) Better to have a chance of protection than definitively no protection at all.

Truly, tucking something like the Literider in the cargo area or even under a seat is one of the easiest things to do in terms of "insurance." It can be used for almost any kids -- I think it's a 3 & 30 seat, so even a preschooler, in an emergency situation. I don't have kids, but tend to always be "around" them, and I've found it so well worth it just to keep a spare booster in my vehicle (even when I don't have seats in there for nanny kids.)

You can't get plastic screws (screws made out of metal, intended for use in plastic) at a hardware store. You have to get them directly from Graco.

I thought we had a thread around here that talked about which screws to get, has that been rescinded? I know the Frontier talks about which screw to buy at a hardware store if you lose its screw, but it also serves an entirely different purpose.

Carrie_R

Ugh, they really need to start shipping with the arms already screwed in, then. Or putting a giant red post-it on the seat itself that says, "SCREW ARMS IN!" LOL.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I'm a little surprised that they didn't figure out a way to get your safe booster back to you. If we were your friends, either DH or I would have driven back from work to bring you your booster. It would be an "oh shoot, we screwed up, we'll get it to you" thing. If we couldn't leave our jobs for some reason, we'd have asked you to drive to work, leaving DS at our house for longer, and then met you at our vehicle to give it to you and given you some gas money for your trouble.

ulrich7

I had to do the same thing the other day. It was slushy, crappy roads and I went to pick my son up from his after school program. I got to town and realized I didn't put his booster in the truck (seats were in the van from the weekend). I called a friend in town and she met me at school with a "screwless" turbo. I didn't want to say anything and seem unappreciative.

tam_shops

Nannymom, you must have some skill I lack b/c I've tried in both Canada and the US, more than once and they won't send me any for free! I finally got one set when I had a warranty repair for my GN they were sending and asked for some for my LBB b/c I told her someone took ours out when I sent it for a field trip and she wanted to charge me, but I said never mind, I'll find some free ones in my tool box (was kidding but she didn't know that). So she sent them out anyway! LOL I'd planned on giving them to someone in ODS's class, but now that i've read this, I'm going to put them in my glove box for a rainy day when I don't have mine and I'm stuck w/ this same dilemma!

I'd happily pay a few dollars for some, to give out at school, every day I see at least one LBB w/ no screws and it's so sad b/c most people have no idea they even need screws...But, to pay $1/screw + $5 s/h to help someone else out, not in my budget...

tam

jewlsvern

I am just wondering why they don't come with screws in them? Most TB's I have seen already have the arms attached. Why do they not have the screws in also?

tam_shops

Mine came in a box w/ the arms not attached, so I assumed it was about packaging.

If some come together, then I'd guess it was about labour cost to have them installed...

tam

libranbutterfly

I had to use my nieces turbo without screws the other day. Since then I have been moving Kamille to the backless booster instead. I have been meaning to try and get some free screws. If graco wont do free screws, would it be ok to get some from a hardware store? I figured I'd borrow it again and put the screws in, then tell SIL about it when she picks them up.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
I am just wondering why they don't come with screws in them? Most TB's I have seen already have the arms attached. Why do they not have the screws in also?

The TB comes in a box with the arms detached...screws are in a baggie with the manual and shoulder belt adjuster...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC