Did Clek officially change the Oobr minimum to four?!!

ADS

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
I just like them more and more!

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Now if they put a 2 & 25 FF minimum on the Foonf.... I might just have to buy one and not even take the tech discount just on principle of their awesomeness.

atw

EmmaCPST said:
Now if they put a 2 & 25 FF minimum on the Foonf.... I might just have to buy one and not even take the tech discount just on principle of their awesomeness.

Well, that would be amazing! Isn't there a car manufacturer that says something about convertibles being used to rf limits? So cool!

I know mine says something about boosters, but maybe they all do...

NannyMom

EmmaCPST said:
They won't :(

atw said:
Well, that would be amazing! Isn't there a car manufacturer that says something about convertibles being used to rf limits? So cool!

I know mine says something about boosters, but maybe they all do...

Volvo says something about rf until 4 is safer

SeattleRain

They should totally give that mom a Foonf to review! That's a pretty ridiculous oversight on their part. Linking a blog on their site with a kid using their product wrong is absurd.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Graco says in their manuals that rear facing as long as possible is recommended. And Dorel has a 34" minimum to forward face (which is a big two year old).

Wendy

Reactions: atw

cowgirlsmommy

I think Clek handled it very well. It's also great to see a company up the booster minimum. I'm loving them more and more every day. I think I'm going to break down and buy an Oobr for my oldest.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Short version, 3 year old was in seat for review. It was also checked on the plane. Reviewer was very receptive to comments that he's too young, got a hwh seat. Intends to post on why not to check seats and edited post. Clek said it was a misunderstanding on their part during a transition, they've recently upped the age and weight, and they recommend harnessing as long as possible and never checking a car seat on a plane. And it all stayed relatively civil.

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
Short version, 3 year old was in seat for review. It was also checked on the plane. Reviewer was very receptive to comments that he's too young, got a hwh seat. Intends to post on why not to check seats and edited post. Clek said it was a misunderstanding on their part during a transition, they've recently upped the age and weight, and they recommend harnessing as long as possible and never checking a car seat on a plane. And it all stayed relatively civil.

I saw the link post by Clek and saw a bunch of comments and thought the worst (because it's FB :rolleyes:). I was SO happy to see how receptive the blogger was, and how well Clek handled it. Also saw how the Oobr has the 4 year minimum, and 40lbs as well - has it always been 40? I swear it was 30# before.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
tarynsmum said:
I saw the link post by Clek and saw a bunch of comments and thought the worst (because it's FB :rolleyes:). I was SO happy to see how receptive the blogger was, and how well Clek handled it. Also saw how the Oobr has the 4 year minimum, and 40lbs as well - has it always been 40? I swear it was 30# before.

It's still 33 on the high back, 40 on the backless.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
tarynsmum said:
Also saw how the Oobr has the 4 year minimum, and 40lbs as well - has it always been 40? I swear it was 30# before.

The U.S. Clek site says 33#/38"/4 years as minimums for highback mode and 40#/40"/4 years for no back mode.

The U.S. manual actually still technically allows 3 years for full back mode:

Recommended that child is at least 4 years of age, (but NEVER before 3 years of age)

The Canadian site and manual have no age requirement but 40#/40" for both full back and no back modes.

Last edited:

tarynsmum

Senior Community Member
OK, I guess this confused me:
clek: We at Clek take full responsibility for this oversight! Thank you everyone for your comments. Corinne and Bub, our apologies. We had a misunderstanding of height/weight/age at the time the seat was given. As you are aware we have recently changed our recommendations for Oobr to min age 4 and min 40 lbs. We absolutely recommend keeping all children harnessed for as long as possible.

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
tarynsmum said:
OK, I guess this confused me:

The blogger is in Canada, so I'm guessing that's why they worded it that way to be specific to her. Canada has a legal 40lb minimum to booster, IIRC.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
EmmaCPST said:
The blogger is in Canada, so I'm guessing that's why they worded it that way to be specific to her. Canada has a legal 40lb minimum to booster, IIRC.

The Canadian manual does not specify an age, only height and weight. And the Oobr has always been a 40# minimum for Canada in both modes so nothing new or revised there.

Maybe Clek has added age 4 to the Canadian minimums as well, but hasn't updated the site or manual yet?

Did the mom say how tall her child was? I know she said he was over 40#. If he is also over 40" he technically meets the requirements in the Canadian manual.

Last edited:

InternationalMama

But someone on Facebook said it is illegal to use a booster in Canada for a child under age 4, so all booster produced there have a 4 year minimum automatically.

(I don't know if that's the law in Canada. I am just taking the FBers word for it.)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
InternationalMama said:
But someone on Facebook said it is illegal to use a booster in Canada for a child under age 4, so all booster produced there have a 4 year minimum automatically.

(I don't know if that's the law in Canada. I am just taking the FBers word for it.)

I don't believe that's accurate. Our boosters have a 40# minimum and a height minimum, but not an age minimum. Although a manufacturer may recommend one. The Oobr manual does not specify an age, nor does the Parkway (another I quickly glanced at).

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC