Delayed bone age 5y old and carseats

U

Unregistered

Hi, I have posted about my son before but now I have some new results from his paediatric endocrinologist, he is 5 years and 10 months old and 12.8kg, 100cm tall exactly, he had a bone age scan recently and his bone age was only 3.5 years, in addition to this he has mild hypotonia and his head growth is disproportionate to his size which is typical of IUGR/RSS children.

In light of all that information I am trying to figure out if he needs to be RF again or not, he is neurologically/ cognitively normal and so is aware that many of his friends are in boosters but I think he would comply with RF if we bribed him! Right now he is in a 5point FF.

Budget is not an issue but we would prefer a large commercial seat rather than a SN seat.

Oh one more thing is that he may be starting a course of growth hormone treatment soon and so may have more rapid growth in height soon although he is likely to remain light and with a big head.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ADS

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Where you would like to get a seat from (what country) would definitely help narrow things down.

At a bone age of 3.5, he's probably relatively safe FF, especially with a top tether (RF is always safer but most of the evidence points to age 3-4 as when the difference becomes less significant). He would still fit RF in many seats, though, so if you're more comfortable with that (you mention a big head, which would definitely make RF safer). Despite peer pressure I would try and keep him harnessed as long as possible or until you have another bone scan indicating a bone age of greater than 6.

U

Unregistered

Are you looking for a US seat, or an Australian seat?

Wendy

US or Swedish.

There are somewhat longer AUS seats out now for RF but not ideal since they are quite reclined.

I can use ISOFIX or Seat Belt + Top Tether so I was thinking about the taller Radian or the Britax Two Way etc - I have family in the US and EU so importing/shipping is not really an issue.

But I am trying to figure whether he needs to be RF or whether FF in a 5 point is almost as safe for him.

It's hard because all the data tends to be based on a normal 3/4/5/6 year old.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A normal 3.5 year old is right on the cusp of when most of us would say, "Yeah, if he's outgrown his seat go ahead and turn him forward and pat yourself on the back." So getting a forward facing only seat would be fine.

If you have concerns based on his medical reasons, rear facing a 3.5 year old skeleton for another year or more is also not out of the question. So it's hard to say which is better for him.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC