Question Crash--Do I need to replace my Boulevard?


New member
My stepfather was driving my mom's Prius today and was rear-ended.

We were not with him, but my son's new Boulevard was installed in the car (outboard behind the driver's seat). :(

It's a hatchback. The lower rear window was broken, the taillights have minor damage, and the rear hatch looks like it doesn't line up any more. We're waiting on an estimate, but I'm guessing it will be $3,000+ to repair by the time they replace the whole bumper assembly and everything.

The door nearest the car seat was not damaged and to the best of my knowledge nobody was injured (teenage stepsister who was in the back seat winced at the time of the accident and is a little stiff, so not sure if she has mild whiplash).

I don't think it technically meets the NHTSA criteria for replacement, but I feel like this is one of those borderline cases.

What do you think?

Would you continue to use the seat?

Do insurance companies tend to use the NHTSA criteria or just replace the seat if the damage reaches a certain threshold?

My stepfather didn't mention to the insurance company that there was a car seat in the car, so I'm guessing I would need to call them?

Also, I don't have a receipt for the seat because it was a "free" Britax Registry Rewards Program seat.



Well-known member
Soreness and stiffness after a wreck is considered an injury, I think.

I would mention it to the insurance company and see what they say. Some let you buy whatever you want to be reimbursed, some want you to turned the crashed seat in, and some want to
Know what you are buying so they can issue you a check for the purchase price.


New member
I would consider stiffness/minor whiplash an injury and would replace it. It sounds like there was a decent amount of damage to the car so I wouldn't consider it driveable after the accident as well. I haven't had an issue getting car seats replaced without an original receipt as long as I buy an equivalent seat and submit my new receipts. Give the insurance company a call and see what they say about it.


CPST Instructor
I agree with the PPs. If stepsis is sore I would consider that an injury. The insurance of the person that caused the accident should pay for a new seat. Often you just have to send them a link or a printout of the seat for sale online and they'll cut you a check for that amount.

Good luck and thank goodness no one was seriously injured.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Latest member

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Maxi Cosi is a proud sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2021 Carseat Media LLC