Crap! (Maybe I should not have procrastinated!)

J-max

CPST Instructor
I preface this with I am due yesterday to have baby #6 - but usually go late :)

I cleaned out, washed, vacuumed, etc my entire car and car seats this weekend, with plans to rearrange seats and install the infant seat. All was going great, I even got the base and infant seat (Aton) in the middle of the 3rd row of my suburban, with a frontier on one side and an incognito on the other! I was super excited, until I put the middle row back upright and the infant seat does not fit front to back :crying::crying::crying:

So for now I am going to have to install it in the second row and put a booster rider in the flip up seat, and have DD#1 sit in the front, and if DH is with us I will have to uninstall the base to the Aton, and put it in the third row baseless. I was really hoping not to do that.

But DH did say I could pull the trigger and get a NV if I really wanted. We have been talking about it for months, just can't decide if I really want it or not! The room would be so nice, but during the school year I often just have a few little ones with me. Plus we are used to dealing with a really good dealership (Chevy) and the Nissan dealer was not very nice or helpful when we test drove them, and it is over 2 hours away.

ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
That's frustrating!

I think real #s are important here. I'd sit down and see how many times you all actually drove in one car someplace. And where you went. Then decide if that # is worth the new vehicle cost and inconvenience of dealers. Or if you can manage taking 2 cars on those (few) occasions if the # is low.

J-max

CPST Instructor
I am a numbers person and I have been doing that for the last 6 weeks :D.

The majority (just over 90%) of trips are just the kids and I. All 7 of us have made 4 trips together in that time. So, from that prospective it does not make sense at all.

But, we live a long way from town, so every trip is a long time for people smashed together in a vehicle (72 miles and an hour and 15 min to town where DR, grandma, any groceries, etc are, and I routinely make the drive over 100 miles and almost 2 hours each way to bigger town with Costco, real shopping etc). Taking 2 vehicles means taking our 1 ton diesel truck, and moving seats in it anyway (and spendy fuel) :). DD#1 will get her license this fall, but our road is a dangerous 65MPH state highway that I hate driving on and sending extra vehicles down anyway.

And to counter that, DD#1 works almost full time in the summers, so she has not hardly been with us this summer, so it is often been the 4 youngest and me. But we do make the 12 hour trip to my parents at least a few times per year and I am dreading trying to smash everyone in for that long of a drive!

And this is why I can not make the decision!!!!

Kel

Hi! We also have 6 kids. Mine are 15-13-10.5-7.5-4 & 2. When the two yr old was born I was driving a windstar mini van. With two 3rd row bench seats. I did that for 4 months then bought a 12 passenger Ford. I love it!! But my first 3 are all huge boys!!! The 15 yr old is 6' 200#, so I needed a bigger for their size to. Also we plan on more children. So....

Do you plan on more babies? If yes, you'll need bigger anyway. If no, is their a reason the baby can't stay in the 2nd row? Can you maybe put the 10 yr old in the flip seat in a lbb? I'm sure you've considered all options, just trying to help. I remember how hard that few months we got me.

momtoo3

Do you have a convertible that fits in the 3rd row where the Aton does not? For me the decision would also be based on how long the infant seat will be used. I tend to only use them until they are about 15-18 pounds and at that point they are too heavy for me.

Kel

Also, do you realise that Ford has a new full size can coming out now? Looks sorta like the sprinter. I can come in 10 12 &15 passenger. Has headrest in all location, etc...
I'll be checking it out soon!!

J-max

CPST Instructor
Hi! We also have 6 kids. Mine are 15-13-10.5-7.5-4 & 2. When the two yr old was born I was driving a windstar mini van. With two 3rd row bench seats. I did that for 4 months then bought a 12 passenger Ford. I love it!! But my first 3 are all huge boys!!! The 15 yr old is 6' 200#, so I needed a bigger for their size to. Also we plan on more children. So....

Do you plan on more babies? If yes, you'll need bigger anyway. If no, is their a reason the baby can't stay in the 2nd row? Can you maybe put the 10 yr old in the flip seat in a lbb? I'm sure you've considered all options, just trying to help. I remember how hard that few months we got me.

Thank you :) My girls are TALL (15 year old is almost 6 foot and 11 is almost 5) so I totally get that big kid thing. There is now way the 15 year old can sit comfortably sit in the 3rd row. I do plan on putting 10 yr in flip seat in lbb for now. If the baby does not go into the third row (with all 8 of us in the vehicle), then I have to stick a big kid there with no headrest. I am not sure if we are having more or not. This pregnancy was really hard on me - way more than any of the others :(

Do you have a convertible that fits in the 3rd row where the Aton does not? For me the decision would also be based on how long the infant seat will be used. I tend to only use them until they are about 15-18 pounds and at that point they are too heavy for me.

No RF convertibles will fit RF in the third row, with the middle row seats in use :(. The only other option would be to put a big kid with no head rest or FF the 2 year old in the CCO, which I am not really comfortable with either. I never used the infant seats for long with the others, except for #5 in the Aton. I used it for almost a year.

Also, do you realize that Ford has a new full size can coming out now? Looks sorta like the sprinter. I can come in 10 12 &15 passenger. Has headrest in all location, etc...
I'll be checking it out soon!!
I have heard rumors, but is there a set date? Our company can get fleet pricing on Ford and Chevy vehicles, so that would be awesome if it is actually coming any time soon!

Kel

If you go to the Ford Web sight, they've updated pics of the new vehicle! I would call them and ask. I believe is already avalible, or will be very shortly.
I'm definitely going to go peak at one. I looked at the NV, and just don't love it yet. Maybe I will eventually. Also thinking that a 10 passenger Ford may have more elbow room in the last row. That's just a guess though, I'll have to wait and see.
I just don't care for the giant hood on the NV. Although that does give it a SUV look. I like the more aerodynamic look of the Ford. DH prefers the Boxier look of the NV. We're just going to have to compare.

I'm actually very happy with my e350. I just would like headrest and side airbags. I also like that the Ford Transit and NV have the split benches in back. Would love to be able to do that while traveling.

vangelder03

I only have 4 kids but the first chance I have to get a nissan nv I am getting one. My kids do a lot of activities that require big items. We usually carpool extra kids so the extra space would be nice. And with my current vehicle mileage would be about the same.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC