Question Converting to Booster

U

Unregistered

Im a nanny for a child who has grown out of his Eddie Bauer high back booster seat. Well, he has grown out of the 5 point harness both in weight and shoulder height. So the seat now needs to be converted to a belt positioning harness. I was able to remove the shoulder straps. However, what about the buckle between his legs? Should that be removed? We no longer have the manual, and the website told me it wasn't available online. So I just thought I would ask here.

Also, can the LATCH straps be removed? My understanding is that you don't use both the LATCH and a seat belt, but I could use more information on that.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
How old is the child you nanny for?

You remove the crotch strap and you can just hook the LATCH connectors to each other and just put the seatbelt over the child.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

He is 5.5, but the size of a 7 year old. He is over the weight limit for the harness and his shoulders are *way* over the top position for the shoulder straps. I was hoping to keep him in the 5 point harness a bit longer, but they aren't willing to get another seat with a higher weight limit.

My question is that I don't know *how* to take out the bottom buckle. I was able to get the shoulder straps off, but the buckle between his legs I can't figure out how to remove.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It should be that you take the metal piece and push it up through the slot that it's in. Easier to show than to tell.

Here, it should be like this. http://www.britaxusa.com/uploads/products/user-guides/40.pdf Page 50-52.

Wow, he probably outgrew that seat years and years ago (if it's the 40 pound version the top position is for booster only, so it's the one down from that he would have needed to outgrow to be too tall for the seat). At his size, age, and weight, though, unless he doesn't sit properly a booster is a fine choice for him. Just make sure it fits him properly (shoulder belt at his shoulder and as close to his body as possible, lap belt low over his hips/upper thighs.

Wendy

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thanks guys! We were able to get all of the straps off in preparation for todays first Belt Positioning Booster ride.

However still a question about LATCH. Gain, this is a Eddie Bauer high backed booster. Not sure of the exact model. I've been researching and finding conflicting information on whether or not its safe to use the LATCH system along with a seat belt. A lot of it seems to depend on the weight of the child and the seat itself. Since we no longer have the manual, Im unsure of the best way to put the seat in the car.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
If you're going to use the Eddie Bauer carseat as a booster, just use the seatbelt and stow the LATCH connector straps and top tether on their respective storage spots on the carseat because Dorel branded highback booster models such as you're describing (Eddie Bauer, Cosco, and Safety 1st variations) don't allow use of LATCH in booster mode. Only certain combination seats and dedicated booster seat models allow use of LATCH in booster mode, such as the Britax Frontier, Graco Nautilus, Safeguard Go, Clek boosters, and the Sunshine Kids Monterey, for example, as they were specifically tested and approved to be used with LATCH in booster mode. If you wish to use LATCH in booster mode, you'll need to get one of the models that allow it instead of the current one. :) And when the current booster isn't occupied in the vehicle, please remember to buckle the seatbelt over it to keep it from becoming a projectile in the car. LATCH primarily serves that same purpose with boosters that allow use of LATCH, FWIW, to help keep an unoccupied booster in place in the car.

P.S. You can download a manual for the Eddie Bauer carseat at http://www.eddiebauer.djgusa.com/usa/eng/Instructions by inputting the model number and date of manufacture info. from the carseat's labels.

Maedze

Thanks guys! We were able to get all of the straps off in preparation for todays first Belt Positioning Booster ride.

However still a question about LATCH. Gain, this is a Eddie Bauer high backed booster. Not sure of the exact model. I've been researching and finding conflicting information on whether or not its safe to use the LATCH system along with a seat belt. A lot of it seems to depend on the weight of the child and the seat itself. Since we no longer have the manual, Im unsure of the best way to put the seat in the car.

No, with this seat you do not use the LATCH system while in booster mode. The weight of the child is irrelevant. The LATCH system is only for the seat when it is in harnessed mode.

You use the seat by resting it in the passenger seat, placing the child in the seat, and strapping the belt over the child, which holds both the child and the seat in place.

A word of advice: it's extremely important that you only ever use this seat in booster mode. Continuing to use it in harnessed mode is extremely unsafe because the child has substantially outgrown the limits of the seat, which could lead to catastrophic failure in an accident.

However, this particular seat ALSO tends to make a very poor booster. It causes the lap belt to rise too high on the child, which can cause serious internal injuries in a car crash.

Using this booster is better than nothing, so you should not discontinue use. However, I strongly suggest purchasing a different, dedicated booster seat for the future. The Graco Turbobooster is affordable, fits most children very well, and is available in places like Target and Walmart. Don't forget to put the screws in the armrests, they're mandatory!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC