convertibles- tallest?

Jocey'sMommy

so which convertible on the market is the tallest? i am under the impression that the graco clones are but someone is arguing on fb that the rainer is. i looked up stats and posted them but at this point i just need professional help lol we're speaking specifically about the 4ever, clones, rainer, nextfit, and foonf.

ADS

ERFmama

I might be wrong but I read somewhere that the Foonf was the longest lasting on the market at the moment?

MommyShannon

I might be wrong but I read somewhere that the Foonf was the longest lasting on the market at the moment?
It's one of the tallest but the Gracos are taller BUT they have a 40lb RF limit. It would depend on the child's weight to see which lasts them longest between the two.
Really, all of those listed last a long time!

wavegal

The gracos are taller and also don't have a standing height limit like the foonf does. However if you go by weight the foonf wins since 10 more lbs.

ERFmama

Ah thanks for explaining! :D

I must admit this whole thing about hight of child etc is still very new to me. We only just got that with the new i-size legislation (105cm) and that is standing hight.
Apart from that our seats are universal for when they are outgrown by hight.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Technically the tallest "shell" is probably the Safety 1st Elite Air 80. The tallest practical RF height limit today is probably the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Graco-Size4Me-Convertible-Seat-Pierce/dp/B00H8MSEWY"]Amazon.com : Graco Size4Me 65 Convertible Car Seat, Pierce : Baby[/ame] and similar models.

http://carseatblog.com/22818/the-ul...ertible-space-comparison-review-size-matters/

This one will be updated soon:

http://carseatblog.com/23355/rear-facing-convertible-seats-measurements-height-limits-weight-limits/

sarahlove

How do the new Gracos (milestone and 4 ever) compare to the clones for practical rf height?

I posted a side by side of the milestone and headwise the other day. The headwise was slightly taller but it sits up higher so the milestone might be slightly taller but not by much.

Last edited:

Hazelandlucy

Just a quick question about the Rainier - the shell is 25", but you have to stop rear facing within 1.5 inches so really only 23.5 inches of usable shell. The Britax is 24 inches with a 1" rule so 23" of useable shell. Only .5 less than the Rainier....so I am confused why the Britax is considered not a long lasting seat, but the Rainier a great ERF seat?

nataliem257

Just a quick question about the Rainier - the shell is 25", but you have to stop rear facing within 1.5 inches so really only 23.5 inches of usable shell. The Britax is 24 inches with a 1" rule so 23" of useable shell. Only .5 less than the Rainier....so I am confused why the Britax is considered not a long lasting seat, but the Rainier a great ERF seat?

The profile of the Dionos adds extra torso room compared to the Britax -- the measurements can be deceiving. I have both and I would say my daughter has at least 2-3 inches more in her RXT. That being said, I think the quickness in which a child will outgrow a Britax convertible is some times exaggerated. Extremely tall kids with extremely long torsos will outgrow them before 3, but the vast majority will make it to 3 and beyond. DD2 was 37" at her 2 year checkup (90% if I recall but kinda leggy for a toddler) and she still has 2-3 inches of torso growth at 27 months. She will last longer in her Boulevard than she would in the Sureride, one of the most commonly recommended ERF seats with a 40 inch standing height limit.

finn

Ah thanks for explaining! :D I must admit this whole thing about hight of child etc is still very new to me. We only just got that with the new i-size legislation (105cm) and that is standing hight. Apart from that our seats are universal for when they are outgrown by hight.

Does this mean all European seats are now outgrown rear facing at 105cm?

That being said, I think the quickness in which a child will outgrow a Britax convertible is some times exaggerated. Extremely tall kids with extremely long torsos will outgrow them before 3, but the vast majority will make it to 3 and beyond. DD2 was 37" at her 2 year checkup (90% if I recall but kinda leggy for a toddler) and she still has 2-3 inches of torso growth at 27 months. She will last longer in her Boulevard than she would in the Sureride, one of the most commonly recommended ERF seats with a 40 inch standing height limit.

My daughter is tall (90th%) for her height and she still has 2inches above her head in her britax :) she has totally run out of leg room but technically hasn't outgrown the seat yet :) she's 3y4m.

ERFmama

Does this mean all European seats are now outgrown rear facing at 105cm?

No. :) This is restricted to the i-Size seats. We so far only have three of those, and that is the BeSafe izi Kid i-Size, Joie i-Anchor and Maxi Cosi 2Way Perl (hopefully I'm not forgetting one! haha) . :)

finn

No. :) This is restricted to the i-Size seats. We so far only have three of those, and that is the BeSafe izi Kid i-Size, Joie i-Anchor and Maxi Cosi 2Way Perl (hopefully I'm not forgetting one! haha) . :)

Phew lol my 3yo is 101cm, I just had a moment of stress about her suddenly outgrowing all of her car seats lol

Will all new European seats eventually have to conform to i-Size? Will it be the new standard?

ERFmama

Phew lol my 3yo is 101cm, I just had a moment of stress about her suddenly outgrowing all of her car seats lol

Will all new European seats eventually have to conform to i-Size? Will it be the new standard?

It is the new EU standard yes. It's supposed to go hand in hand with the current "old one" until 2018.
But I guess things are always subject to change and improvement. It just came out last summer, so we have a good 4 years of improvements to come. :D

newyorkDOC

Ah thanks for explaining! :D I must admit this whole thing about hight of child etc is still very new to me. We only just got that with the new i-size legislation (105cm) and that is standing hight. Apart from that our seats are universal for when they are outgrown by hight.
actually:

" *UN R129 doesn’t give upper limit for i-Size seats. However, compatibility constraints with cars including mass and volume limitation physically limits i-Size products to a maximum child stature of 105 cm."

From here: http://www.clepa.eu/news/view/artic...n-129-i-size-enhanced-child-restraint-system/

ERFmama

actually:

" *UN R129 doesn’t give upper limit for i-Size seats. However, compatibility constraints with cars including mass and volume limitation physically limits i-Size products to a maximum child stature of 105 cm."

From here: http://www.clepa.eu/news/view/artic...n-129-i-size-enhanced-child-restraint-system/

It doesn't have an upper weight limit, like it has now no, but you may not use an i-size seat any longer when the child reaches 105cm tall, the car seat manuals are very clear on this as well as the seat itself. :)

As for isoFIX and the weight limit of 18kg on isoFIX, then we're getting technical beyond what I have time to put down at this very moment sadly. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC