Convertible rec for "obese*" 9 month old

amyd

*Obese in quotes because not my word, but the diagnosis the child has been given.

Not sure on exact stats but has outgrown infant seat so 22lbs+. This will be a seat given away by our coalition. Typically I get Tributes or Sceneras but I'm thinking I should probably spring for something more long lasting here. Sorry no idea on height and I'm not likely to get that stat.

ADS

amyd

I'd love a Sure Ride. Wonder how quick I can get my hands on one? I thought about a My Ride but that's a little more than I was hoping to pay.

Baylor

Am I the only one who wonders what an obese 9 month old is and who is deciding such things??

My last son was about the size of a left tackle at 9 months old. I got him the Momentum? It is different now but I think that was it.. and it was awesome.. Lots of room for him. I would think knowing what that baby weighs would be key, yes?

amyd

Am I the only one who wonders what an obese 9 month old is and who is deciding such things??

No, you're not. It was the public health nurse who used the word when she emailed me to request a seat. All our requests come through a community agency of some sort.

1mommy

In the U.S. I know my (former) pediatrician said that children are "obese" if you they are ≥95th percentile. *rolls eyes* She was wayy to concerned with the growth chart and not much else.

Keeyamah

In the U.S. I know my (former) pediatrician said that children are "obese" if you they are ≥95th percentile. *rolls eyes* She was wayy to concerned with the growth chart and not much else.

Hmm, I think it also depends on the percentile for height as well. I know one little girl who is/was close to being considered obese at like 4-5 months old (and she was a preemie, so adjusted was like 3-4mon) because she was 5% for height, but 96% for weight. And a great-grandaunt confirmed that for this child, it was mom and dads fault,she fusses the tiniest amount and has a full bottle shoved in her mouth.

Where as both of my boys are 95% for weight, but close to 90% for height and even WIC doesn't say anything about how heavy they are. So it could be that, or it could be the doctor/nurse.

amyd

I suspect, knowing this nurse (she's also an awesome tech:love:), that there is an actual medical/nutritional issue here, but anyway, that's neither here nor there for my purposes. I just need an affordable seat that will last a big baby a long time:)

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
40lb RF EFTA? Giant DS1 fit well in the 30lb version (FF, unfortunately.) Maybe it's not that economical either. :shrug-shoulders:

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The SureRide is definitely nice and wide, and also has high RF and FF weight limits, plus is cheap and also tall- in case the child gets tall as well as heavy.

amyd

There is a MyRide on Amazon for just $10 more than the Triumph.

I had a My Ride for DS1 and I always felt like it was kinda narrow inside. Wondering if the Triumph might be better. I think I'll go into BRU tomorrow and see if they have any Sure Rides.

nannykates

The new triumphs have a 37" standing height limit for rf. I'd shy away from it as a program seat because of the way the harness tightens as well. I'd really try to find a sureride/titan65. The cosco apt might work as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC