Convertible Car Seat Recommendations

CaseyKay95

Hi all, my LO just turned a year old and we are looking for good convertible car sear recommendations. We have a Chicco keyfit30 now that we love and had no issues with. We need two convertibles as one will go in my vehicle and another in my husband’s. I drive a 2020 Chevy blazer, my husband switches back and forth between his Toyota Tundra and our Chevy Cruze. Any suggestions?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hi! You have a world of choice. You can start by taking a look at our community picks for this forum or the carseatblog recommendation list. If you have a budget range or specific features you want we could help narrow it down better!

I would recommend buying 3 seats if you have 3 cars. Every time you uninstall and reinstall, the possibility of error is reintroduced. So leaving the seats permanently installed in all cars you use regularly is your best bet.

If you have questions about a seat not on our favorites lists, feel free to ask about it, too!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I agree with ketchupqueen. If one car is seldom used, you might also consider spending a little extra on a car seat with a built-in tensioning system that will make it easier to move from one vehicle to another. The Britax ClickTight models on the list linked by ketchupqueen is one such example. If you love your KeyFit, the Chicco NextFit is very nice and has a super-easy LATCH system for installation. One downside is that I find the angle indicator does not allow it to be as upright as some other models for older kids when rear-facing, which means that it may take up a little more space and reduce front seat legroom in compact vehicles.

CaseyKay95

Hi! You have a world of choice. You can start by taking a look at our community picks for this forum or the carseatblog recommendation list. If you have a budget range or specific features you want we could help narrow it down better!

I would recommend buying 3 seats if you have 3 cars. Every time you uninstall and reinstall, the possibility of error is reintroduced. So leaving the seats permanently installed in all cars you use regularly is your best bet.

If you have questions about a seat not on our favorites lists, feel free to ask about it, too!
Thank you for getting back to me! I will look over the list. I definitely want something that is going to be safe and RF for as long as possible. I have looked a lot at the Britax models for this, but they are a little pricey and don’t have cup holders(not a huge deal, I know you can buy them separately, but for car seats that are that expensive…). I know people highly recommend the Nuna Rava but again, very pricey and hard to find. Another seat that people seem to recommend is the Graco extend2fit. I don’t know if we have budget for three seats but it’s definitely something I have thought about doing if we could find three for decent prices.

CaseyKay95

I agree with ketchupqueen. If one car is seldom used, you might also consider spending a little extra on a car seat with a built-in tensioning system that will make it easier to move from one vehicle to another. The Britax ClickTight models on the list linked by ketchupqueen is one such example. If you love your KeyFit, the Chicco NextFit is very nice and has a super-easy LATCH system for installation. One downside is that I find the angle indicator does not allow it to be as upright as some other models for older kids when rear-facing, which means that it may take up a little more space and reduce front seat legroom in compact vehicles.
Thank you for the advice! That’s exactly what I was thinking. A lot of people have recommended the extend2fit by Graco and that’s the one I was thinking of using for my husbands truck/car but again like you said, I may need a car seat that’s easier to install. I have looked at the Britax brands because of that, however, some people either love or absolutely hate the Britax car seats whereas I find people almost universally love the Graco extend2fit and the Nuna Rava(which is pricey). I am just hesitant to spend so much money on something and it not fit our needs. I know a lot of places don’t let you test them in vehicles anymore either because of Covid. The Chicco convertible seats, specifically the Fit4 and the Fit Zip were also two I was looking at but I’d definitely like a car seat that can sit up a little bit more RF as my daughter loves looking outside and as you said, they are bulky.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm not a fan of the Extend2Fit once it's forward facing. It's quite difficult forward facing in some cars. I would definitely take long term usage into account- especially if you're spending on multiple seats.

I do find the Nextfit and Clicktight seats both very easy in almost all cars in both directions.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The "4Ever Extend2Fit" models are nicer if they are within budget. They have an easier-to-adjust harness system and a lockoff to help with installation.

MelodyoftheForest

I loved the NextFit! I didn't find it took up too much space in our compact vehicle when RF, and it's one that is much easier to move around, as mentioned. We had it in a Chevy HHR, based on the Cruze base, and a Subaru Legacy sedan. I've also used a Graco 4Ever, and really liked it RF for older kids, as the back is more flat rather than curved like the NextFit. But yes, it has (had?) annoying rules for forward facing that made things difficult for us.

CaseyKay95

The "4Ever Extend2Fit" models are nicer if they are within budget. They have an easier-to-adjust harness system and a lockoff to help with installation.
Sorry it’s taken me so long to reply. At almost $500, I’m not sure that’s within budget. At that price, I might as well get the Nuna, which seems to be universally safe and well-loved. I think I have narrowed it down to the Britax boulevard, Britax One4Life, the Chicco Fit4, and extend2fit. The only thing I am worried about with the boulevard, as silly as it sounds, is not having cup holders. For now, it’s not a big deal, but I do feel in the future it will make a difference when she’s a toddler. I’m a little conflicted that such an expensive car seat can’t just put one cup holder on it.
I loved the NextFit! I didn't find it took up too much space in our compact vehicle when RF, and it's one that is much easier to move around, as mentioned. We had it in a Chevy HHR, based on the Cruze base, and a Subaru Legacy sedan. I've also used a Graco 4Ever, and really liked it RF for older kids, as the back is more flat rather than curved like the NextFit. But yes, it has (had?) annoying rules for forward facing that made things difficult for us.
Thank you! I’m also looking at the Chicco Fit4.

CaseyKay95

I think I have narrowed it down to a few, just trying to make a final decision. What are your thoughts on the Chicco Fit4, Britax boulevard, and the Britax One4Life.
The configuration would go as such:
Main vehicle, Chevy blazer: Chicco Fit4, Britax One4Life, or extend2fit

Husbands vehicles(Chevy Cruze and Toyota Tundra): Britax boulevard or extend2fit

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Sorry it’s taken me so long to reply. At almost $500, I’m not sure that’s within budget. At that price, I might as well get the Nuna, which seems to be universally safe and well-loved. I think I have narrowed it down to the Britax boulevard, Britax One4Life, the Chicco Fit4, and extend2fit. The only thing I am worried about with the boulevard, as silly as it sounds, is not having cup holders. For now, it’s not a big deal, but I do feel in the future it will make a difference when she’s a toddler. I’m a little conflicted that such an expensive car seat can’t just put one cup holder on it.

Thank you! I’m also looking at the Chicco Fit4.

Those are all great choices and there are some good deals on all of them at Amazon with free returns right now. My experience is that the Boulevard takes up a little less room rear-facing because it can be installed a little more upright than the NextFit. That might make a difference for front seat legroom in some vehicles, though it depends on the contours of your seats. Britax has a seasonal 20% off sale on many styles right now: https://amzn.to/3yRtcxN

Also, there is an optional cupholder for the Britax ClickTight seats: https://amzn.to/3tnwreU

CaseyKay95

Thank you for your response! I am definitely leaning more towards the Britax for sure. One last question, I have heard so much about the Nuna Rava and how it is worth every penny. Do you have anything to add on it. I have been thinking that if it were to go on sale near Black Friday in a few months, it could definitely be an option for a third car seat in the future. I don’t think I could afford the price now but at a discount possible. The thing about Britax, Graco, etc is that people either love them or hate them. I don’t ever hear anybody say anything bad about the Nuna, no complaints, which makes me think it may be worth the money possibly.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Thank you for your response! I am definitely leaning more towards the Britax for sure. One last question, I have heard so much about the Nuna Rava and how it is worth every penny. Do you have anything to add on it. I have been thinking that if it were to go on sale near Black Friday in a few months, it could definitely be an option for a third car seat in the future. I don’t think I could afford the price now but at a discount possible. The thing about Britax, Graco, etc is that people either love them or hate them. I don’t ever hear anybody say anything bad about the Nuna, no complaints, which makes me think it may be worth the money possibly.

The Rava is also an excellent convertible and also installs relatively upright for older babies and toddlers. The only minor disadvantage compared to the Britax ClickTight is that you must remember to lock your seatbelt retractor with the Rava even after using the built-in seatbelt tensioning system. They aren't often discounted, but look for the semi-annual anniversary sale at Nordstrom that usually has one or more fashions on sale

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Rava is also an excellent convertible and also installs relatively upright for older babies and toddlers. The only minor disadvantage compared to the Britax ClickTight is that you must remember to lock your seatbelt retractor with the Rava even after using the built-in seatbelt tensioning system. They aren't often discounted, but look for the semi-annual anniversary sale at Nordstrom that usually has one or more fashions on sale
Another thing to consider is that the Boulevard ClickTight has higher top harness slots by over an inch. If your child has a taller torso, that's worth its weight in gold. I think the Rava may be slightly more compact front-to-back and have more legroom, but a carseat isn't outgrown by legs ;).

Also, the Nordstrom sale was just in July, I think—it was recent—so the next one won't be for a while. There may be sales on Ravas from time to time, but they may be last year's models or not be for a huge percentage off like you'd see at the big Nordstrom sale.

CaseyKay95

Another thing to consider is that the Boulevard ClickTight has higher top harness slots by over an inch. If your child has a taller torso, that's worth its weight in gold. I think the Rava may be slightly more compact front-to-back and have more legroom, but a carseat isn't outgrown by legs ;).

Also, the Nordstrom sale was just in July, I think—it was recent—so the next one won't be for a while. There may be sales on Ravas from time to time, but they may be last year's models or not be for a huge percentage off like you'd see at the big Nordstrom sale.
Well from what I can see, you can’t even find the Rava right now so I think you are right. The boulevard may be the better choice for now. I had read about the harness heights as well. Luckily, my girl is fairly small but her daddy is tall so there is room for growth obviously, so definitely something I will keep in mind

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Well from what I can see, you can’t even find the Rava right now so I think you are right. The boulevard may be the better choice for now. I had read about the harness heights as well. Luckily, my girl is fairly small but her daddy is tall so there is room for growth obviously, so definitely something I will keep in mind
Yeah, it's a supply chain thing for Nuna since their seats are made in China (well, most carseats are, but they are being hit really hard).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avalon416

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Maxi Cosi is a proud sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2021 Carseat Media LLC