Convertible car seat for travel

Angie

Here I am again asking for help figuring out the car seat thing for travel. My daughter has officially outgrown her infant bucket seat (we haven't used it here at home since she was 6mo old, but last time I flew with her I crammed her in that seat for ease of travel system, etc.). So this time I need to look into the convertibles recommended for traveling.

At home here we use a Nextfit. Obviously I will not be hauling that onto a plane.

So I know the Cosco Scenara is one you guys recommend for a light, cheap seat that travels easier. Are there any others, maybe with more padding?

Here's the thing...we need a 2nd seat for her anyway...the Nextfit is in my car but we need a seat for her for hubby's truck for the times when he toodles around town. But I feel like he needs one for times when he has her and I'm at work or whatnot...because what if something emergent happens and he needs to take her to the hospital or somewhere...

So I'm thinking whatever seat we buy to fly with could be her 2nd seat for hubby's truck, and if we are going further than just around town, we can put the Nextfit in there. I was thinking about getting the Graco MySize for her 2nd seat in the truck, but I don't think that's a travel friendly one either.

I guess I need the nicest of the lightweight, affordable convertibles that would withstand the airline, etc.

BUT my other questions are:
1. How do you manage the kid in the stroller and carrying the carseat to gate check, and carry ons through the airport. I'm sure there are efficient ways to do this that I'm not seeing. My carry on is a backpack.
2. How do you ensure correct fit in a rental car? It's not like I'll know what car I will get from the rental company. Do I need to take a towel or something else to make sure it fits in there? That's just more to haul.

ADS
Sounds like the Evenflo SureRide (also called the Titan 65) would be a perfect fit for you. It's light, pretty easy to install and around $100. It has one of the tallest harnesses on the market and lasts quite a while RF.

As for traveling through the airport, I would bungee cord the car seat to her stroller or lay it on top if the stroller.

I would pack a small towel in your carry-on just in case. It'll be worth it if the install isn't level.

Angie

Funny, I was just looking at that seat.

I read the tips about strapping all to the stroller. Although she doesn't really like the carrier, so she needs to be in the stroller AND the stroller is all of 7 pounds and aluminum. I think it'd topple over a bajillion times.

I should have said that money is no issue, so if there is a really great option for lightweight/easy to travel with/good 2nd seat that is pricey, I'd still consider it. Please tell me allllllll your suggestions. They are much appreciated.

Will you need a stroller at your destination? If not, then I would recommend getting a travel cart from somewhere like Target (such as the one pictured here: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=177246 << not looking so much at the Britax one but at the one someone posted pictures of earlier in the thread, but the a Britax one is nice too :) )

The Safety 1st Guide 65/XRS 65/EasyFit 65 is light and well-padded. You could get a Diono Radian (quite expensive, though) and wear it like a back pack with the straps available for it.

Angie

What is the difference between the guide and guide sport? Does one have more breathable fabric? I am in CA...

LOL.

Thanks for all your help.

Angie

Is the Even Flo Sure ride or the Safety 1st Guide easier to install??? They both look cushy and light. Either one would be a good option, I guess I need to compare in person and put my daughter in them to see what I like. Just wondering about ease of installation for both and whether I will need noodles for either.

I would say they are relatively the same in terms of install difficulty, but the SureRide takes up more front-to-back space than the Guide. The Guide Sport has different fabric, I believe it is more breathable.

Have you looked at the Combi Coccoro? It will only last to 2.5-3 RF but it is very, very cushy, light, small front-to-back for front seat passenger comfort, and easy to install. It is a very popular travel seat.

Angie

No. I didn't buy her a seat. Even if they grant me a free unused seat, I'm not sure I'll take it. I don't know if I want to deal with the car seat during my layover.

mairep

If you're checking the seat, then you won't really be carrying it for very long, so weight might not be a huge issue.

Angie

If you're checking the seat, then you won't really be carrying it for very long, so weight might not be a huge issue.

I usually gate check the car seat and stroller, so I end up hauling it through the airport. I don't know if I trust the seat going in with regular luggage.

What is everyone's thoughts on that???

Angie

Thanks for your help. We went with the SureRide. I was all set to buy the Guide, but then I went to Target and looked at them both, and decided that I don't like how exposed from the sides my daughter would be in the Guide. I'm sure it would work well and all that, but I think I'm just too used to how she looks in the NextFit that the Guide seemed so skimpy for her.

I'm not in love with the SureRide. I'd LOVE a light seat that has a no rethread harness and the head wing things like so many of the bulkier seats. I know that's a lot to ask for. LOL A Babies R Us employee tried convincing me that the MySize 65 isn't THAT heavy. Um, ok, it's over 10 pounds heavier than the SureRide. LOL.

We were able to get it in hubby's truck without a towel or noodle though, I'm hoping for the same in whatever rental car I get when I travel with her in a couple weeks, but I'll take one just in case.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC