Complete Air vs. Foonf

Mugsmom

DS is turning 2 next month. He's about 30 pounds and roughly 35 inches tall. He's currently in a TFP, which is a great seat, but I want to RF him as far past the age of 3 as I can, and I think he'll be 35 pounds well before that. I'm willing to pay the big bucks for a Foonf, but would a CA work? Which would you get? I'm not sure how quickly toddlers grow, so I'm not sure what to do. (Also, If I got him a CA, I'd abide by the 40" rule.)

Thanks! :)

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I personally don't like the Complete Air, so would pick the Foonf over it. Is there a reason though, you haven't looked at the Radian XTSL or RXT?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
The CA would work, but I like the Radian much much better. More $ than a CA but a whole lot less than a Foonf.

Mugsmom

Sorry, I should have mentioned that we had a Radian XTSL a little over a year ago, and didn't like it. It over-rotated horribly and we had SL loosening problems at the same time that many people on this board did. I just don't have much trust in Sunshine Kids/Diono.

livilou

I've never even seen a Foonf in person so I can't compare, but we have a CA (well, two actually) and I love them. I bought it for a few reasons, but definitely because I could keep my daughter ERF.

Syllieann

If I had vehicle incompatability w/ the radian, I would have bought a CA and reluctantly misused it. Now that foonf and peg are out, I would choose either of those in heartbeat over the CA-even for the price difference. Both will rf much longer than 40" and dorel doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling anyway.

NatesMamma

Fwiw, my DS only gained 3 lb between age 2 and 3. He's still RF in the TFP with a couple pounds to go and was 28 lb at age 2. If you like the TF, I see no reason to swap it out just yet. Otoh, if you have the itch to buy a new seat, I certainly won't try to stop you. ;)

Maggie

I had a complete air. It's ok. Not impressed when I undressed it. No foam anywhere but the headrest. And it's basically just a scenera shell with some extra stuff bolted on the the top. Not sure how I feel about that.

I also prefer something with rf rebound control.

featherhead

Fwiw, my DS only gained 3 lb between age 2 and 3. He's still RF in the TFP with a couple pounds to go and was 28 lb at age 2. If you like the TF, I see no reason to swap it out just yet. Otoh, if you have the itch to buy a new seat, I certainly won't try to stop you. ;)

:yeahthatlove:

The TFP should last quite a bit longer I should think. But if you would like a new seat ;) the Evenflo seats (EFTA65 and Momentum65) and MyRide65 would be good seats to look at as well.

lovemybabies924

Maggie said:
I had a complete air. It's ok. Not impressed when I undressed it. No foam anywhere but the headrest. And it's basically just a scenera shell with some extra stuff bolted on the the top. Not sure how I feel about that.

I also prefer something with rf rebound control.

The foam part dosnt bother me considering how well their seats supposedly preform with out it :) I actually would love the seat if it had strap covers

Sent from my iPod touch, sorry for any auto-correct typos!

flutie128

DD was 25 pounds at 2 and is going to be 4 in 6 weeks and weighs 32 pounds currently. She could still RF but I turned her at 3. She fits comfortably in a TF still.

laurengt

Mugsmom said:
Sorry, I should have mentioned that we had a Radian XTSL a little over a year ago, and didn't like it. It over-rotated horribly and we had SL loosening problems at the same time that many people on this board did. I just don't have much trust in Sunshine Kids/Diono.

I'd rec the Radian too. Mine were always a little testy but now with the AA I get the best fit ever in our cars. I believe SK/Diono issued new latch straps/connectors to those having the issue. Maybe you could request that, if you still have the seat.

moonmommy

Senior Community Member
My son grew like a weed up til age 2. He was getting close to 35 lbs when he turned 2, so I switched him from his TF to a SKR XTSL. He only gained about 4 lbs from 2 to 3, and only about 1 lb from 3 to 4. He was my little chunky monkey, and now he's so skinny!

Depending on how your son's growth goes, you may be able to stick with the TFP for another year. You may not need a 45 lbs RF seat, just a tall RF seat. It sounds like the Foonf will be pretty tall, but I think it will be a seat that needs to be tried out in-vehicle before buying. If you will stick to the 40" rule for the CA, I think the CA would be a waste for you as it looks like your son is likely to hit 40" well before 40 lbs.

Phineasmama

I would never have thought to compare those two seats :p

I used to own a CA and I didn't like it. I could never get a good install and the straps were always twisting. Not really impressed with the seat except for the height. If it were between those two and I had the money for it I'd get the Foonf for sure.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I don't even think the two seats are comparable, but I hate the Complete Air with a passion. If money was no option, I'd get a Foonf over a CA any day.

I really :love: my Radian though.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I quite liked my CA. It will be outgrown faster than a Foonf, and doesn't have rebound control, but it's much lower profile which some people prefer, I loved the harness adjuster. They both have good and bad points. I'd definitely choose a Foonf over a Peg Perego which, along with the Radians, are the only 3 that RF past 45 lbs. in the US.

mominabigtruck

Well both the evenflo momentum and triumph advanced 65 have pretty tall shells and 40 lb rfing limits. I'd pick either of those over a ca. I don't hate dorel per se, I just don't like continuous harnesses and their huge, pokey chest clips. I'm not not impressed by their cheap covers and lack of comfort foam either.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mugsmom

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I am most concerned about height, he's a tall skinny kid and he's all torso (he wears a 3T-4T shirt, but we have to roll up his 2T pants). I was absolutely sure I wanted a Foonf, but started to second guess myself, which is when I considered the CA. We'll need a new seat within a year anyway, because the TFP will be given to his little sister. I have a while to decide, I just want to be sure that if I do get a Foonf, I have the money set aside.

Now you've given me some other options to consider...hmmm...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC