Combo seat with most recline

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
What's the combo seat with the most recline? It seems we have nothing available here. :( Have a Nautilus, it's a flop...literally. I know slump isn't dangerous, but her entire head hangs over which makes her body hang as well and she's not sitting nicely in the harness anymore even (yes, it's way tight enough). And she wakes up every time I turn a corner and yells because her head is just flopping around. We are making a 10 hour trip, so this is not going to work for us.

I want to try the Frontier, but don't want own a $420 paperweight. Defender? It's ugly as sin and I hate how there is just one colour option right now, well and even with 2, they are both ugly.

The vehicle seats are upright, we have 2 Peg convertibles and they can't be used forward facing in the vehicle as a huge chunk of the Peg is off the front and there is a giant gap (could fit a cat for sure) behind most of the seat. Only the topmost bit touches. This is how it is with every convertible I tried except the Roundabout 65, and I have not tried the Click Tight convertibles. But it seems she's basically at the top slots now so not sure I can even still sue it for our trip in a month. :(

ADS

katymyers

I've been extremely happy with my Frontier (and the Pioneer while I owned it, the friend I gave it to is also pleased). Even my floppy four year old hasn't gotten head slump in it and I don't even have it set to recline. I'm not a fan of the Defender personally, it's just very 'meh' to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I've been extremely happy with my Frontier (and the Pioneer while I owned it, the friend I gave it to is also pleased). Even my floppy four year old hasn't gotten head slump in it and I don't even have it set to recline. I'm not a fan of the Defender personally, it's just very 'meh' to me.

Do forward facing convertibles work (as in able to be installed) in your vehicle? Her head even flops in the Roundabout and rolls back and forth around corners. And it's as reclined as I could find for a seat that fits for installation.

katymyers

Do forward facing convertibles work (as in able to be installed) in your vehicle? Her head even flops in the Roundabout and rolls back and forth around corners. And it's as reclined as I could find for a seat that fits for installation.

Mine yes but my husband's no, the Frontier works in his. Ella's head definitely flops more in her old Boulevard than in the Frontier. I don't know how different the Boulevard is though because of the headwings.

1mommy

My old true fit premier is the only seat I found that doesn't give my oldest head flip. I know it's been discontinued but maybe you could find it on amazon and return it if it doesn't work for you?

brightredmtn

DS never had FF head slump in his Frontier. He did in the Nautilus in the same car but the Frontier was awesome for that. Do you have Diono up there? I don't recall head slump when he FF in his Radian but I wasn't paying as much attention to that as I did the Frontier.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
My old true fit premier is the only seat I found that doesn't give my oldest head flip. I know it's been discontinued but maybe you could find it on amazon and return it if it doesn't work for you?

I used to have one and I don't believe the shape of it will work on these seats. I'll run into the same problem as I did the Fllo and Peg. Also I don't think you've been able to get one here for years. A friend had to replace hers due to a crash over a year ago and she wasn't able to get a replacement.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Now that I think about it, a taller britax convertible might not work anyway. I think this may be the shorter shell that's making it work.

With the Nautilus, I am pretty sure I wasn't able to put it in recline mode else it wouldn't sit on seat right. So maybe if I'm able to install the Frontier in recline mode, I'll be ok. I'll have to get out and try it. Wish I could make my kid sleep on cue to test it. :p

To the Diono question earlier, I think Sears had a basic one here but they don't let you take seats to your car to try. And you can return seats unless the box hasn't been opened. Our BRU either doesn't have them, or is out of stock according to web site.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I would consider a Graco Dimensions (or Contender, but no harness pads). It's quite reclined (similar to the MyRide) when FF, but is quite tall. You do lose some of the measured height once it's installed because of the angle but it is a good option.

I thought I had a useful picture but apparently not. The only thing to worry about is if the head rest can extend properly - is there a head rest in the way? Because it's reclined the Dimensions head rest angles up and back.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I would consider a Graco Dimensions (or Contender, but no harness pads). It's quite reclined (similar to the MyRide) when FF, but is quite tall. You do lose some of the measured height once it's installed because of the angle but it is a good option.

I thought I had a useful picture but apparently not. The only thing to worry about is if the head rest can extend properly - is there a head rest in the way? Because it's reclined the Dimensions head rest angles up and back.

I can remove the vehicle headrest but I might run into trouble with the headrest hitting the window at some point? (vertical window right behind headrest)

Looking at the shape of the seat, I am flip flopping between it might sit on the seat nice or it might be bad. LOL Seems Canadian Tire has it in stock so hopefully it's on display as then they will likely let me try it out.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
You've tried the SureRide?

No. I have no way to try it. Can't take seats out of Walmart here and our BRU either doesn't have it or it's out of stock. I did look at it though and how it sits and I'm pretty sure I'd have the same install issues (it hanging off seat front with large gap behind). I could be wrong, but without being able to try it, I'm hooped anyway.

It's kind of ridiculous not being able to try seats! This seems to be why I end up with Britax and Peg because at least the boutiques let you try seats!

Mary_Ann

No. I have no way to try it. Can't take seats out of Walmart here and our BRU either doesn't have it or it's out of stock. I did look at it though and how it sits and I'm pretty sure I'd have the same install issues (it hanging off seat front with large gap behind). I could be wrong, but without being able to try it, I'm hooped anyway.

It's kind of ridiculous not being able to try seats! This seems to be why I end up with Britax and Peg because at least the boutiques let you try seats!

I've returned a seat at Walmart with no issue.

geekKT

For what it's worth, the TFP (mine is not yet expired, but getting close) is a good fit centre (slide headrest up) and also a good fit outboard with the headrest removed. I know they can't be found anymore though.

The headrest is my problem with most of the seats I've tried, because it doesn't allow the seat to nest back. I have not tried the RXT FF recently but I recall not loving the install. Still I wonder if the g4s would work the same way as the TFP, if the headrest were gone.

Also in general the centre gives me an easier time. You might even try the Nauti there if you haven't? (I'm sure you have). We also have some head slump in the Nauti but DS is in a booster now. I'm not sure what I will chose to do when DD moves out of the TFP. Following for ideas.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC