Combo seat or dedicated booster?

R

Rose12

I have a three year old who fits comfortably in her Britax Boulevard Clicktight However my youngest is growing out of her infant rear only seat. We planned on giving the baby the clicktight and then purchasing the Graco Snuglock Nautilus DXL At first, the graco seemed great because we still need to keep the older one harnessed. I have some concerns now after reading through this forum. Is it safer NOT to use a combo seat like the snuglock nautilus and instead worry about a dedicated high back booster when the time comes?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I have a three year old who fits comfortably in her Britax Boulevard Clicktight However my youngest is growing out of her infant rear only seat. We planned on giving the baby the clicktight and then purchasing the Graco Snuglock Nautilus DXL At first, the graco seemed great because we still need to keep the older one harnessed. I have some concerns now after reading through this forum. Is it safer NOT to use a combo seat like the snuglock nautilus and instead worry about a dedicated high back booster when the time comes?
Hello and welcome,

What concerns do you have about the Nautilus Snuglock? Unless there are special circumstances, purchasing a combination harness/booster seat and using it forward-facing with the harness for a typical three year-old and passing down your Boulevard ClickTight rear-facing for a toddler is a very reasonable solution. There are other good options as well.

If your three year old is still rear-facing, you could also buy an all-in-one product and use it rear-facing for either child for now, or buy a another Boulevard or other convertible for the toddler. Your three-year old may well be able to use the Boulevard long enough to where they could transition to a dedicated booster as well. That would depend on their height and maturity in a couple years.

aporthole

Personally, I don’t like using combination seats in booster mode as they are just so bulky and difficult for kids to buckle. That said, I still buy combination seats to use strictly for forward-facing because they are often cheaper than buying a convertible seat. If the 3yo is already forward-facing, I wouldn’t buy another convertible. Even if you don’t end up using the booster mode of the Nautilus, it still makes a great harnessed seat and could later be passed down to the younger child to use harnessed when the older is ready to booster. The Chicco MyFit is another great combination seat. It has taller top harness shoulder and standing height limits than the Nautilus as well as a more generous recline ability.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Personally, I don’t like using combination seats in booster mode as they are just so bulky and difficult for kids to buckle. That said, I still buy combination seats to use strictly for forward-facing because they are often cheaper than buying a convertible seat. If the 3yo is already forward-facing, I wouldn’t buy another convertible. Even if you don’t end up using the booster mode of the Nautilus, it still makes a great harnessed seat and could later be passed down to the younger child to use harnessed when the older is ready to booster. The Chicco MyFit is another great combination seat. It has taller top harness shoulder and standing height limits than the Nautilus as well as a more generous recline ability.
I agree with all of this!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newtocarseats

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Maxi Cosi is a proud sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2020 Carseat Media LLC