Combi Connection 8040

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
<h4>Combi Connection Infant Seat Review</h4>

The Combi Select Connection 8040 series car seat is an infant carrier/base carseat system. It is rated rear-facing with a 5-point harness for children 22 pounds or less.

<b>Review Introduction</b>

The Combi Connection is an innovative infant carrier system. The unique, narrow base has a serpentine seatbelt routing method that results in very good installations in many vehicles. The carrier is very light relative to some other models and has layers of energy-absorbing foam to protect the infant.

<b>Features and Advantages:</b>

<i>Base and Carrier Allow Secure Seatbelt Installations</i>- The Connection carrier and base can both be installed with seatbelts. The carrier itself does not offer LATCH at all, but it can be installed with seatbelts when you do not have the base. Unlike many other carriers installed without the base, the Connection allows routing of the shoulder belt through a slot on the back of the carrier for additional protection. For vehicles with short seatbelts, a more standard routing method is also allowed. Seatbelt installations with the base require an unusual routing method that actually runs under the base. This takes a little effort the first few times, but is not difficult after that. It results in a very good installation in many vehicles and also seems to reduce potential rebound of the carrier into the vehicle seat.

<i>Narrow Base</i>- The base is relatively narrow compared to other infant bases. This can help a lot in center seating positions or for those who need to install three child restraints across one vehicle seat. There are 3 recline settings adjusted with an easy handle on the base and a rolled towel or noodle can also be used, if necessary. The base also includes the standard LATCH system. While the attachments are the simple hook type, there is a nice push-button tension adjuster that makes un-installation a bit easier. There is a storage area in the base for the LATCH attachments when not in use.

<i>5-point Harness</i>- This is the type of harness most recommended by child passenger safety advocates. It usually offers the best fit and the most protection from ejection. This seat should work well for most newborns; the lowest harness height is about 7â€&#157; when using the nice infant insert. It may or may not work well with premature infants. While Combi does not list a minimum weight, the bottom slot height is only average. Plus, the large chest clip and long harness comfort pads may not fit the smallest babies very well. The harness comfort pads can be removed, but the harness must be completely unthreaded to do so. Two height adjustment slots are available, the one at or just below the infant’s shoulders should be used.

<i>Rear-Facing to 22 pounds</i>- Rear-facing is the safest form of travel for infants and toddlers. The 22 pound limit allows all but the biggest babies to remain rear-facing in this carseat up to about a year. It also accommodates infants up to 29" tall. So, this model may be used a while longer than some older infant carriers limited to 20 pounds and/or 26" in height. That may be especially important if you have a big baby.

<i>Front Harness Adjuster</i>- This makes it easy to get a tight harness fit without having to remove the carseat. Experts recommend that the straps be tight on baby's shoulders. You should not be able to easily fit more than one finger between the baby’s shoulders and the harness straps when adjusted correctly. The adjustment strap can snap onto the cover to keep it from dangling- a nice touch. Releasing the harness is easy enough, though pulling it tighter can take a good pull sometimes.

<i>Two-piece Harness Retainer Clip</i>- This style tends to be easier to use and prevents twisty straps more than the one-piece "paper-clip" style. It is also harder for escape artists to release.

<i>Head Impact Foam</i>- As part of a growing trend, the Connection includes EPS foam around the head, rather than hard plastic. This is the same kind of foam used in bicycle helmets. There is also a special “Egg Shockâ€&#157; pad for added comfort and protection. This pad must be used at all times and is easily moved from the infant insert to the main carrier when baby outgrows the insert.

<i>Easy Recline Indicator</i>- Some recline indicators are not very accurate. This indicator was always very close to the 45 degree maximum recline recommended for newborns and small infants. It was also very easy to see.

<i>Easy Release Mechanism</i>- The carrier itself is easy to install and release from the base. With some other infant carriers, I occasionally have difficulty removing the carrier from the base or making sure it is connected correctly when I put it in the base. The release handle is located on the base, under the back side of the carrier.

<i> Canopy</i>- While not particularly large, it is attached well to the carrier and a nice elastic trim keeps it in place. The adjustment is very easy.

<i>Very Light Weight</i>- At close to 7 pounds, this is among the lightest infant carriers. Unlike some other models, the handle is left in the upright position while being used in a vehicle. This is a very convenient feature.

<i>Style and Comfort</i>- This model came with the Navy fabric. This is not your basic, boring Navy blue that seems to appear on all infant seats and strollers. It’s actually a very sharp two-tone blue and grey pattern. The cover itself is not particularly soft or plush. Combi claims it is very breathable to keep moisture off baby’s skin. It is also machine washable (cold water, drip dry), another handy feature. Durability should be average. The belly pad on the buckle works very well and doesn’t fall off as easily as some others. Overall, the comfort padding is not very cushy, but with the Egg-Shock foam it is adequate.

<i>Stroller Compatibility</i>- Combi makes some very good and very popular strollers. The Connection is designed for use with some Combi models, including models in the Savvy, Flash and Lifestyle lines. With some compatible models like the City Savvy, the Connection clicks right into metal pins on the stroller frame. It is not compatible with all Combi strollers, but is also available in the sporty DK-5 travel system.

<b>Disadvantages:</b>

<i>Price</i>- The Connection is slightly more expensive than many other infant seats. For the cost, a comfort grip on the handle and improved LATCH attachments would be nice additions. Extra bases retail for around $60.

<i>Instructions</i>- The instruction manual is adequate, but could use at least a few large, clear photos- especially for the unique seatbelt installation methods. There are also a few passages with errors and others that could be clearer. A nice pouch is included on the carrier cover to hold the manual.

<i>Shopping Cart Use</i>- Though most advocates would recommend putting an infant carrier inside the cart rather than on top, many parents do put them on top of the folding seat for convenience. The design of the Combi carrier does not work well on the top of a shopping cart, so it is a good idea to put it inside the cart.

<i>Carrying Comfort</i>- The handle was OK, but not among the more comfortable models I've carried. A comfort grip would help.

<b>Conclusion</b>

Overall, the Connection is a very stylish infant carrier (For those watching the rich and famous, Britney Spears apparently was spied using one with her infant). With all the features, it is just a small premium over the most common infant seats. The narrow base and unique seatbelt installation may make this a good option for certain vehicle situations. It should be a very safe choice for most infants with plenty of room to grow.

Details on Combi Car Seats can be found here:
http://www.combi-intl.com/virtualshowroom/index.htm

<b>For more information on child restraints and LATCH please visit:

http://www.car-safety.org

http://www.seatcheck.net</b>

ADS

kpeople

Its great to know they have an infant seat with a narrow base and is light weight. I think parents won't mind paying $60 for this because of the features.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC