Combi Coccoro

U

Unregistered

Sorry this is going to be long...

My daughter is 1, weighs 20lbs, is 28in tall, with a 11-11.5in torso.

We currently own a TF, her Keyfit, and ordered a Guide 65 to use with traveling. We are stationed in Germany and plan to fly to the states, CA to be specific, a good amount.

Flying over we brought the TF which fit horribly and because of that she didn't use it at all. Huge hassle for nothing. We were recently recommended the Guide for traveling but now that we are picking our specific flights I am looking at the airline pages for carseats and it will not fit, they want it to fit with arm rests down and specify that the width is 16.5in. The Guide is 17.5in.

I know the combi is outgrown earlier than most but it looks like an awesome seat otherwise and would fit our needs.

So bare with me, what if I sold our Keyfit-making the combi the newborn seat in the next couple of years, sell the TF also, return the Guide, and use the combi until she outgrows it, hopefully close to 3. What do you think of that plan? Would you recommend buying a further rf/ff combo seat at 3ish or going to a ff seat?

And any pictures of older children in the combi rf would be awesome too!

ADS

kaharris83

My DS1 outgrew the Coccoro rear facing at 2. He was 34" and 27lbs then and 29" 18lbs at 1.It is a great travel seat. We ended up using it from birth with DS2 since DS1 outgrew it. Just to give you an idea size wise how long it worked for us rear facing.

Last edited:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The Coccoro is a great seat, and is awesome for traveling, but it will be outgrown earlier than most seats because it is so small (which is what makes it awesome for travel! :)).

Just a warning. :)

creideamh

Adding my warning... I love the Coccoro, but my DD outgrew it before 2 (about 22 months I think? She has a fairly average torso, maybe a tad above, but her head size is off the charts.) No good suggestions besides a Radian, or maybe you could buy the CCO, use it for a year and then get something else?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
My DD outgrew it rear-facing at 2, and my DS2 outgrew it shortly after 1 :eek: They're tall, though, with abnormally long torsos.

It sounds like you realize its potential to be outgrown early, though. It also does make an amazing travel seat!

How long do you plan on rear-facing? Do you have family you visit in CA?

Is it possible to have a larger convertible seat you keep in California, and then you could still use the Coccoro forward-facing on the plane, but continue to rear-face in something else if your child outgrows the CCO before you're ready to forward-face?

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I agree with LISmama's suggestion. The Coccoro is hands down my favorite travel seat. I am getting ready to use it again for a flight and we have a larger convertible waiting for us on the other end for my DS to rear face in while we're there. Even forward facing the seat is great for sleeping on a plane. We used it when we flew to London and DS was comfortable and slept very well and it was easy to attach to our stroller stop getting through the airports was a breeze.

U

Unregistered

My DD outgrew it rear-facing at 2, and my DS2 outgrew it shortly after 1 :eek: They're tall, though, with abnormally long torsos.

It sounds like you realize its potential to be outgrown early, though. It also does make an amazing travel seat!

How long do you plan on rear-facing? Do you have family you visit in CA?

Is it possible to have a larger convertible seat you keep in California, and then you could still use the Coccoro forward-facing on the plane, but continue to rear-face in something else if your child outgrows the CCO before you're ready to forward-face?

All our family is in CA so we will be visiting a good amount. I was thinking of leaving the TF there but no way of getting it there unless we used it on the flight which absolutely doesn't work...

U

Unregistered

What seat did you all transition to at 2?

I feel ok with her outgrowing it soon as we would be using it for the next kid as an infant seat and selling the chicco I had been saving since I prefer not lugging it around and we bought the TF at 3 months and moved her to a convertable anyways so it would be worth it in that sense.

I just want to have an idea of what seat I would buy to continue our car seat journey...

Thanks for your tips so far! Oh and if I have another kid using the combi what seat would you recommend for traveling that would also work well in a small car for her using seatbelt and locking clip as we will be traveling when she is at least 3 maybe 4 from Germany.

oliviacw

We started using a Coccoro for my daughter as a second seat/travel seat when she outgrew her Keyfit by hitting 30 inches tall at one year. We've flown a lot with it and it is a great seat. She's now 34.5 inches at 25 months and probably has another inch of torso growth left before she outgrows it rear-facing, so we'll need to replace it by summer I'm sure. For a travel seat, I'm planning to get a Guide 65, because of the narrowness and light weight. We may end up using that as the second seat at home, or I may spring for something else with a few mire feature - we'll see how she likes the Guide 65. Her main seat is a MyRide 65.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
My second-favorite travel seat (after the Coccoro) is the Radian. Some people hate it because it's heavy, but you can fold it up and ad two carrying straps, so you can wear it like a backpack. I wore it through airports while 8 months pregnant, and it was no problem at all. The seat has its quirks, but it will last a long time rear-facing.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
My second-favorite travel seat (after the Coccoro) is the Radian. Some people hate it because it's heavy, but you can fold it up and ad two carrying straps, so you can wear it like a backpack. I wore it through airports while 8 months pregnant, and it was no problem at all. The seat has its quirks, but it will last a long time rear-facing.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Radian as a travel seat. :love:

Yes, it is heavy, but you have two choices with it. You can wear it like a backpack (as Jennie said), or it also attaches BEAUTIFULLY to a luggage cart. The fact that it is about the same width as the luggage cart is good. :)

kaharris83

We just got the Sureride for DS1 to replace the Coccoro as his travel seat since he outgrew the Coccoro rear facing. We have a Radian my DH wanted to travel with until I reminded him we'd have to take the angle adjuster and rear facing boot as well and he doesn't want more things to keep track of.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

The sureride looks good, and the guide65 we ordered should arrive this week but the airline says no wider than 16.5 and both of those are...even the radian is 17"...

So I'm thinking we could get the combi now and use it, while saving, for a radian or a bigger car seat in the next year or so that will fit our car better...

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The sureride looks good, and the guide65 we ordered should arrive this week but the airline says no wider than 16.5 and both of those are...even the radian is 17"...

So I'm thinking we could get the combi now and use it, while saving, for a radian or a bigger car seat in the next year or so that will fit our car better...

I don't worry about the widths, especially on an American carrier. I put the armrest up. The True Fit fits, the Combi fits (but will only fit your child a short while longer rear facing, another six months or a year maybe), the Radian fits (it's 17" at the shoulders). My True Fit is in Germany with us. We flew here with it. I miss my Coccoro for travel, but for the six months we're here I didn't want Laine forward facing and so I lugged the True Fit. I'll lug it home. And then hopefully never ever ever travel with it again.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

I don't worry about the widths, especially on an American carrier. I put the armrest up. The True Fit fits, the Combi fits (but will only fit your child a short while longer rear facing, another six months or a year maybe), the Radian fits (it's 17" at the shoulders). My True Fit is in Germany with us. We flew here with it. I miss my Coccoro for travel, but for the six months we're here I didn't want Laine forward facing and so I lugged the True Fit. I'll lug it home. And then hopefully never ever ever travel with it again.

Wendy

We won't be flying on an American carrier and I have heard air france is quite rude in fact so I want to make sure we have no problems.

kaharris83

I second what Wendy said. I don't even bother looking up measurements because it seems the airline errs on the side of being conservative with their measurements. We have been on 18 flights with various car seats, mostly smaller planes, and never once had a problem with a seat fitting.

martygras

We're stationed in Japan and we bought DD a Radian when we PCSed over (she was 29 months, so I was fine with her FFing on the plane at that point).

I just flew Seattle to Las Vegas, Las Vegas to New York, New York to Tokyo, and Tokyo to Misawa by myself with my 3 year old and 3 month old. The 20 minutes of annoyingness getting it (and a SnugRide 35) on and off the plane were well worth having a happily restrained three year old who could use the tray table to color, play with Princesses, and most importantly, eat, while I took care of the baby.

The only disappointment I had with the seat is that the carrying strap broke as I was getting off the bus at Haneda.

TXmom2

The CCO is in my siggy pic with my about to turn 2 yr old (22 months, 26lbs, 30 3/4tall, 11in torso). We LOVE this seat. We have traveled with it as well and it was easy as pie :)

This is her a few weeks ago in the CCO, in the stroller, at the airport.
IMG_4142_zps694428c4.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC