Question Coccoro questions

thekatie

I don't know how to get a comment link from Facebook on my phone, but I did post last night asking. First, Combi posted a link to their FAQ, then posted saying that it must be used to 25lb, then posted saying that I could call Customer Service. A few other people also commented on my question in between Combi's comments, saying their 21lb would not fit or be comfortable, and after Combi posted about CS, one lady asked that they answer on Facebook, because moms with kids often can't spend time on the phone. Then Combi deleted all comments except the one that says call CS. I guess I have to call - but they were sticking to "use the insert until 25lb."

ADS

TXmom2

thekatie, I posted my DD's pic right before your comment. ;)
I also posted this response from support there:

........Just got off the phone with support and was told "If the insert causes the straps to be too tight, then it is up to you to make the choice to remove the infant insert before she reaches 25lbs" I asked if the 25lb limit was being evaluated and she said that that was what came from product development, but individual children might have different needs and fit differently. She suggested I loosen the straps and/or move them up to see if she fits better.
So...no mention of a "typo" or anything and basically using the insert to 25lbs is what is recommended if the child fits with it.

gigi

CS will tell you to remove it as long as baby has good head control or sit on their own...or at least that is what they've told me now twice.

thekatie

But the representative I spoke with from Combi's CS said (when I asked if the insert is required to 25lb, if the engineers still state it must be used) that if the child fits - shoulders are *above* the bottom harness slot - and has decent head control, is comfortable, then he recommends discarding any time after 15lb. I was clear I had a new model with the separate inserts, but he said since the 1-piece was 15lb, he was comfortable telling me that. This still can't be taken as an official stance from Combi, I doubt, but it is what *I* was told.

gigi

Given they haven't changed the shell and the old insert was optional after 15 pounds, I was comfortable removing it. The seat fits my skinny baby way better without the insert. I think this is a case of by the book hysteria and legal liability. And I am definitely not one to disobey manuals (like ignoring height limits or more upright installs than manual dictates).

monica-m

CPST Instructor
That still does nothing for those of us that are techs as we should not encourage parents to disregard manufacturers' instructions no matter how absurd we may think they are.

gigi

Well not everything is cut and dry. If I were a tech, I would tell people to follow the manual or call Combi if they question the manual.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Well that is where the problem lies. Combi is showing that they are completely unwilling to address this in any way other than over the phone. The answer you get when you call depends on who answers your call, IF you can find the time to call during their CS hours. If you have a toddler who screams bloody murder the second you pick up the phone, I guess you're just out of luck.

thekatie

monica-m said:
If you have a toddler who screams bloody murder the second you pick up the phone, I guess you're just out of luck.

I cheated. I called while nursing my son, so he was fully distracted.

Honestly, I would feel a lot better with the exact same answer that I got over the phone, if it was at least in an email - written verification, even if just from a representative, not an engineer.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I cheated. I called while nursing my son, so he was fully distracted.

Honestly, I would feel a lot better with the exact same answer that I got over the phone, if it was at least in an email - written verification, even if just from a representative, not an engineer.

This is exactly why I want them to make some sort of official statement.

TXmom2

:yeahthatlove: Right, me too.

It seems everyone that calls gets a different (even if slightly) answer and they do not want to release anything in writing. THAT is concerning to me.

I mean, the common sense part of me, says not to use it if your child is older & fits well without. But I question if something in the testing says the insert is needed?

In the manual the wording is "For proper harness fit and crash protection:
- infant seat insert MUST be used for children less than 25 lbs."

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
My Issue is that MY Coccoro says that the insert must be used to 15 lbs and may not be used after 20.

If there were no structural changes to the seat, what occurred to make them change it from "Don't use it after 20" to "You must use it to 25"?

I believe Vera's explanation that it was a miscommunication and they never intended to require it to 25 lbs. If it truly IS needed to 25 lbs, I want to know why. I want to know if my 17-lb kid is unsafe without it.

(He's not unsafe. I also fully believe Vera that it's fine to discontinue use once a kid fits without it. But I would still like clarification in writing.)

gigi

The only reason I can think of why the insert would test better is that maybe it helps the shoulder straps stay more secure on little ones...IME they straps are too widely set for narrow babies. It also I think would help my SKINNY baby fill up the crotch buckle area BUT she's so long (13 months, 31", 19lbs, and just, just even with the second slots) she looks absolutely ridiculous and is uncomfortable with the insert in. I am SO thrilled with this seat for my tiny torso baby...I am choosing to believe it is fine.

TXmom2

What would a few letters and/or emails to Consumer Reports accomplish? Anything? Is there another medium to use to get them to take notice and do something?

I feel pretty strongly that the issue should be addressed in writing, and the fact that Combi is not doing that raises red flags for me.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Given what the people around here think about Consumer Reports in relation to car seats, I don't know that getting them involved will make a difference. Especially since we know they don't bother to read/follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC