Cleaning Vomit out of Size4Me70

Mugsmom

This is gross, so I'll apologize ahead of time.

My kiddo threw up milk in his Size4Me70 today. I stripped it down completely and washed the cover in the machine. I rinsed the buckle as described in the manual. I washed all the belts with a damp (soapless) cloth as described in the manual.

The straps still stink slightly. The shell is the worst part though. I went over every inch I could reach with a wet cloth, then a dry one. There seems to still be vomit IN the interior of the seat though. When I pick it up, some drips out. :sick: Can I take a hose to the shell if I avoid the foam? Is there anything else I can do to the shell or the straps? Ugh.

ADS

bubbaray

I have hosed down Britax seats post-puke. Not the buckles or LATCH straps but the shell.

I'm not sure what the official word is but for me it was either that or get a new seat. GL!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Do you have a back-up seat? If so, I'd use it and would leave the harness of the Size4Me70 in the sun for a few days. The sun usually helps "bleach out" odors and stains.

Mugsmom

No back up seat, but we don't need to use it until Thursday. So I hosed it down, avoiding the straps, and it seemed to help. The straps still stink so I'll leave it outside until Thursday morning and hopefully that will do the trick. Thank you both!

Hazelandlucy

I had a pee accident and after I wiped everything up, I sprinkled (more like dumped) baking soda all over the inside of the shell and straps and left it in the sun for a few days. Worked really well! Vacuumed/damp wiped it up and the smell was pretty much gone.

AllieK

I wonder if baking soda & vinegar would be okay to use on the straps...? Baking soda and vinegar are the holy grail when it comes to vomit!

1mommy

I called up Tomy about my TrueFit after my son threw up in it, they told me it was ok to use a bit of Dawn in a cup of warm water and a washcloth on the straps. Do call up Graco, normally they are very quick to answer and can let you know what is safe to use.

Mugsmom

I emailed Graco and I hope to hear back soon. I left the seat and its parts outside on our porch today to "air out" and hopefully catch a little sun. I put it back together about an hour ago and the straps and buckle absolutely reek. Yuck. I can smell them standing a good foot away. I'm hoping Graco will tell me to use some Dawn on them. If not, I may go buy him a Nautilus since he's FF now anyway. I'd rather not spend the money though, considering he's prone to car sickness and it could just happen again.

henrietta

well, with the rebate, now's a great time to get a nauti! new straps are oretty cheap, too. then you'd have an extra set, once they air out.

Mugsmom

They responded this morning and said water only, with maybe a "touch" of soap. So I guess I'll go buy some Dawn and give it a whirl.

Thanks everyone!

MamaChirpy

I emailed Graco and I hope to hear back soon. I left the seat and its parts outside on our porch today to "air out" and hopefully catch a little sun. I put it back together about an hour ago and the straps and buckle absolutely reek. Yuck. I can smell them standing a good foot away. I'm hoping Graco will tell me to use some Dawn on them. If not, I may go buy him a Nautilus since he's FF now anyway. I'd rather not spend the money though, considering he's prone to car sickness and it could just happen again.

Bleach that shell!!!!! Diluted bleach will clean up lingering bacteria. Put it in a spray bottle to get in crevices.

I don't see how Dawn could possibly hurt the straps. And my goodness if you can smell it a foot away, I would personally take the chance and clean it well. Just don't soak the straps.

katymyers

Bleach that shell!!!!! Diluted bleach will clean up lingering bacteria. Put it in a spray bottle to get in crevices.

I don't see how Dawn could possibly hurt the straps. And my goodness if you can smell it a foot away, I would personally take the chance and clean it well. Just don't soak the straps.

You can't use bleach on the shell of a car seat. Ever. Period. It's way too harsh and can damage the plastic.

Jackie010307

Dd vomited in her seat as a toddler. We had a marathon at the time. Britax said it was ok to use a mild soap on the straps so I put a very small amount of her baby wash (California baby) into some water and used that. It got the smell out very easily. I wouldn't use anything stronger than a very diluted dawn or baby wash mixture on any of the seat (I would throw the cover in the washer on delicate even if it wasn't recommend just to get it clean though). Definitely no bleach or vinegar or anything that strong.

Mugsmom

So I used ONE drop of Dawn in a few cups of warm water then rubbed it on with a cloth and rinsed with another damp cloth. When it was wet, the vomit smell was gone completely. Once the straps dried, the smell came back. It's not as strong, but it's there. Oh well. I may try the Dawn one more time.

henrietta

So I used ONE drop of Dawn in a few cups of warm water then rubbed it on with a cloth and rinsed with another damp cloth. When it was wet, the vomit smell was gone completely. Once the straps dried, the smell came back. It's not as strong, but it's there. Oh well. I may try the Dawn one more time.

You could just order a new set of straps...they aren't too expensive. Put those in and use them and let the old ones air out. They will stop smelling before too long. It's not cat urine. ;)

babyherder

Time was the only thing that helped my puked on car seat straps. I cleaned them with water and a little baby wash too but what stopped the smell was just waiting a few days. I did end up replacing one crotch buckle because puke got inside it and I couldn't get it out.

I've used a little baking soda on a damp cloth on my seats when the vomit smell wouldn't come out with warm water and some Johnson's baby shampoo. These were Britax seats, though.

Mugsmom

So the seat spent 3 days outside and I reinstalled it today. It only smells now if you really get close to the straps, so we're still using the seat and just hoping it goes away completely in time. I can't justify buying a new seat when I know this will likely happen again.

Thanks for all the help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC