Chicco Nextfit installed in middle seat 2014 odyssey

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
With respect to the installing the seat yourself, it's happened to me twice where I've taken my car to the dealer and get there to pick it up and my seat is uninstalled and put into my cargo area. I typically pull my seats out before my vehicles go the dealer, but DH had taken it in and forgot/chose not to.

Once they needed to move the front seat further back to do something under the driver's side dash so popped the seat out (better than ramming the front seat into it so it worked out ;)) and another time they were replacing the leather on the seat bottom under the seat, which we thought was being done another time so DH didn't think to remove our car seats, but the parts arrived that day so they went ahead and finished the work.

So, I'm glad you're testing out if you can repeat the install because you just never know when you might need to do it and it's just you, your vehicle and the seats!

ADS

YinzerMama

It works! I have said before it didn't work but I think what I did was take it from BRU in the most upright position, try to install it, and it didn't work. That is the most logical explanation for it not working but I am not sure. (But I have read other people say it didn't work there so I probably figured they were right and didn't try to hard to make it work)

But in the reclined for rf use position (I use 3) it DOES work.

That said I prefer to have it outboard because I find it easier to load but it is nice to know I have the option now.

And definitely remove it and learn to install it yourself - it is unbelievably easy to do.

The plastic hinge holding the seat in place is not an issue with this seat, I think that only happens with the radian but I have not tried to install every seat on the market to verify this.

kimmylynnk

Well , I took it out and reinstalled it. (Yeah!) a big task for me with my weak wrist and hands... Surprised that the latch pulls were easy to pull tight and its marked Exactly how to do it! It didn't move too much after I pulled, but I then put the seat back 2 inches and pulled tighter then put seat back up again. Seems to be in very tight, no side to side movement at all. So the seat is not budging and the bubble is in correct place.
The seat belts in this middle seat are on the lower sides of the seat so they are not in the way at all. There is only latch there. Honda may have done that so the seats latch is secure. ??? Outboard wouldn't work for us with how all my kids sit. This seat seems to fit better than the Foonf did, as the Foonf almost hit the video unit.

kimmylynnk

It works! I have said before it didn't work but I think what I did was take it from BRU in the most upright position, try to install it, and it didn't work. That is the most logical explanation for it not working but I am not sure. (But I have read other people say it didn't work there so I probably figured they were right and didn't try to hard to make it work)

But in the reclined for rf use position (I use 3) it DOES work.

That said I prefer to have it outboard because I find it easier to load but it is nice to know I have the option now.

And definitely remove it and learn to install it yourself - it is unbelievably easy to do.

The plastic hinge holding the seat in place is not an issue with this seat, I think that only happens with the radian but I have not tried to install every seat on the market to verify this.

I reinstalled it, pretty easy! (Yes, I'm very proud. Lol).
I'm so happy to hear you say that because it seems like a great easy install. (Thank you Chicco) I want my 2 yr old to RF as long as possible and this seat is so nice... haven't found another that would fit better.

YinzerMama

It's not the seat belt that is a problem, it is the plastic hinges of the seat. The radian is a weird seat in that is has this rf boot with little toes that are supposed to shove up in the crack of the seat when rf. The center ody seat has the crack at a weird high up location so there is no where for those little toes to go. BUT the boot exactly fits between those plastic hinges which limit side to side movement at the belt path and make it seem like the seat is installed well but the rest of the seat overall feels sloppy and wiggly so it's kind of the eternally unresolved question, does the radian install there or doesn't it?

I don't know of any other weird seat to seat mismatches in this car but who knows, def not an issue with the nextfit.

Had the same issue as you with the foonf, would have hit the video screen eventually.

The nextfit works well there though and is a nice long lasting rf seat.

Wp0818

Just want to chime in that it does fit RF in the middle seat! We went to test out seats today and despite all previous posts saying the NextFit won't fit in the plus one seat I wanted to try it anyways. Not only did we get a tight install in the middle but we were also able to tightly install another one right next to it 😃 (we need two new seats for our twins)! We then flipped them FF and got great installs again. The added bonus for us is this setup still allowed the third outboard seat for another passenger or to slide forward for the older kids to get to their seats :dance:.

All the other comments did have me initially doubt our install but it was rock solid, not braced against the front seats, no overhangs, and properly reclined. We have a 2011 Odyssey and placed the second row seats in wide mode. Now if I could just find a good sale somewhere....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC